Terrible Battery Life After Kitkat - Verizon G2

acejavelin

Reaction score
I'm going to repeat this again...

F.A.C.T.O.R.Y D.A.T.A R.E.S.E.T

If you are having issues after the update. There is no magic bullet to fix issues like these except a FDR, and if you still have significant problems, get a replacement.

I know its a pain, but if you take it to Verizon, its the first thing they are going want to do as well, because, well, it works

Remember that this is a huge OS upgrade, two full Android versions (4.2.2 to 4.4.2), and although not much looks different on the surface, under the hood the changes are quite significant. All your apps and setting were based around JellyBean when you installed them, now you have KitKat and the optimization and settings some apps use are different.

A FDR is not difficult, there are plenty of guides to do it with minimal loss and inconvenience. If your phone is setup correctly and using Google services to there full extent, all that should have to be done manually is backup/restore text messages and accounts, Google can do your contacts, pictures, videos, apps, and common system settings like Wi-Fi networks and wallpapers automatically...

And to the user with the USB port issue, I don't think that's a upgrade issue, more likely a hardware or setting issue but I could be wrong (hopefully). In all my upgrades of various devices and assisting people with them, I have never seen an upgrade "break" USB connectivity... You should consider using a WiFi connection solution, it's built into the G2, to backup everything and do the FDR, if your USB still doesn't work, your device is broken and should be replaced.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

scott craft

Reaction score
I've reset my phone and battery life is still worse than it was. Seems like reception is worse also. I'm going to try a new sim card and see if that helps. I think most of my battery problem is reception related.

acejavelin

Reaction score
I've reset my phone and battery life is still worse than it was. Seems like reception is worse also. I'm going to try a new sim card and see if that helps. I think most of my battery problem is reception related.

Possible... Did you restore apps and settings with Titanium Backup or something similar or did you reinstall from Play Store?

scott craft

Reaction score
Possible... Did you restore apps and settings with Titanium Backup or something similar or did you reinstall from Play Store?

I reinstalled from the Play Store. My phone has never had the stellar reception and battery life that others have posted, but some of that is due to my work location. If a new sim doesn't help I'll probably discuss my phone with Verizon.

acejavelin

Reaction score
I reinstalled from the Play Store. My phone has never had the stellar reception and battery life that others have posted, but some of that is due to my work location. If a new sim doesn't help I'll probably discuss my phone with Verizon.

Probably your best bet actually, sounds like you may have gotten a dud... I work in rural areas with weak signal all the time, the G2 has stellar battery performance even in areas where it is bouncing in and out of 3G/1x, still see a significant amount of drain but easily get through a day with plenty to spare.

scott craft

Reaction score
Probably your best bet actually, sounds like you may have gotten a dud... I work in rural areas with weak signal all the time, the G2 has stellar battery performance even in areas where it is bouncing in and out of 3G/1x, still see a significant amount of drain but easily get through a day with plenty to spare.

After I got my G2 I went back to the Verizon store and compared signal strength with a Moto X and both phones were pretty much the same. I don't know that that was a fair comparison since that was a really good location for signal. I wake up at 5 am and work until 3:30. Usually by the time I get off my battery is 20% to 30% without heavy use. This is better than my past phones, but not as good as most people get.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I can't compare battery life to previous as I didn't pick up the G2 until after the KitKat update was released - it was basically take it out of the box, turn it on, accept the update - but I can say that I have been very pleased with the battery life as it exceeds that of my Note 3.

I hope you are able to find some resolution as it can definitely be frustrating to watch the battery drain with minimal use.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Keep in mind that battery life is dependant on the apps you have added to the phone. Most apps use battery power while idle. Some more than others.

NWRULES

Reaction score
I've been turning off the location service when not needed. If a website or app needs it, I'll turn it on and then turn it off when I'm done. Seems to help a bit with battery life. Also, anyone ever find out what's up with the Bluetooth using battery even when not on?......

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Location Services drains the batteries of the G2. You have to only enable it when needed. As for the bluetooth, what issue? I haven't seen an issue with bluetooth draining the battery.

NWRULES

Reaction score
I haven't had an issue with bluetooth draining my battery either.

Leave Bluetooth off all day. Then at night before bed or whatever, go to settings, and then battery. You will see Bluetooth has used like 3 or 4 percent of your battery. And it was never on! At least this has happened to me, every day since 4.4 update. Other people have chimed in on this too.

Domestic violence

Reaction score
My G2 was an utter fail after the update.

i refused to do a factory reset but it got so bad I had to.

its better than new now.

scott craft

Reaction score
Leave Bluetooth off all day. Then at night before bed or whatever, go to settings, and then battery. You will see Bluetooth has used like 3 or 4 percent of your battery. And it was never on! At least this has happened to me, every day since 4.4 update. Other people have chimed in on this too.

OK, I'll check it out. Have you reset yours since the update?