Terrible Battery Life After Kitkat - Verizon G2

paulyjsob

Reaction score
I wish I never installed the update. My battery life is cut in half with Kitkat. Phone was running perfectly before.
Otherwise, the phone runs great. No lags, etc.

Anyone else experiencing terrible battery life after update?

I have all location services OFF and only email is syncing (no pictures, music, etc). No facebook widget. Only widget I use is calendar and weather channel.

Any ideas? The thought of a factory reset sucks.

Thanks!

devdeuce

Reaction score
I wish I never installed the update. My battery life is cut in half with Kitkat. Phone was running perfectly before.
Otherwise, the phone runs great. No lags, etc.

Anyone else experiencing terrible battery life after update?

I have all location services OFF and only email is syncing (no pictures, music, etc). No facebook widget. Only widget I use is calendar and weather channel.

Any ideas? The thought of a factory reset sucks.

Thanks!

How long has it been since you updated? If it's been a few days, I'm very sorry to say that a factory reset is probably your best move.

there is no spoon

Danvee

Reaction score
Agreed. An OS update as major as that really needs a reset afterwards. It's fixed many an issue... :thumbup:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It's not required but it's a common practice to do a factory reset after a major update. Gives the new updated OS a clean slate to start on and everything should work fine after that, at least in my experience and the experiences of others

Rhino94

Reaction score
Im having the same problem. My battery life isnt terrible but i can notice it is a little worse like an hour or 2 less a day and that can really add up

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
FDR should always be done after a major upgrade. They don't require it, but they should.

OP
P

paulyjsob

Reaction score
Its especially bad a work where my signal is poor. I'm connected to WIFI, but the phone bounces between 1x and 3G. And it almost seems like its trying to use the crappy 1x/3G for data instead of WIFI since internet is sloooow. And Visual Voice Mail keeps popping up saying it cannot connect..

LGElectronics

Reaction score
Its especially bad a work where my signal is poor. I'm connected to WIFI, but the phone bounces between 1x and 3G. And it almost seems like its trying to use the crappy 1x/3G for data instead of WIFI since internet is sloooow. And Visual Voice Mail keeps popping up saying it cannot connect..

Sorry to hear you are having a problem. It would be helpful if you can provide screenshots (Power key + Volume down) of your battery graph and battery use details. From the Home screen, tap Apps > Settings > Battery. Tap the large battery icon for graph and use details.

Also, we'd like you to check what options you have selected under Advanced Wi-Fi menu. From the Home screen, tap Apps > Settings > Wi-Fi > Menu key > Advanced Wi-Fi.

acejavelin

Reaction score
I have not heard of a single instance of battery drain after the KitKat update that was not fixed by a factory data restore.

Do the FDR and all will be well again!!!

NWRULES

Reaction score
I've got an odd one for all to check. I haven't had Bluetooth on once since the update last week, but every day I'll check the battery stats in settings, and it says I've used 4% of Bluetooth every day! I haven't even turned it on! Wtf. Is this happening to anyone else that doesn't really use Bluetooth? This has only happen after kit kat, fyi

OP
P

paulyjsob

Reaction score
I noticed the bluetooth thing as well.
I did a reset last night. I'll see how it is today.

OP
P

paulyjsob

Reaction score
Phone is just as bad after a reset. Down to 76% battery from 6:30-9. Constantly switching from 3G/1x while connected to a strong WIFI network. Google Play does not seem to be using WIFI for data since downloads are crazy slow. Visual Voicemail pops up every minute saying it cannot contact server. Its like the phone does not know to use WIFI. When I click on WIFI option in Settings, it takes a good 10 second to actually show the screen. And in battery usage it shows Bluetooth 7%.. I have not had bluetooth on in months. All location services are off.
This went from the best phone I ever owned (I've had plenty since Droid 2) to the worst after this Kitkat update.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Phone is just as bad after a reset. Down to 76% battery from 6:30-9. Constantly switching from 3G/1x while connected to a strong WIFI network. Google Play does not seem to be using WIFI for data since downloads are crazy slow. Visual Voicemail pops up every minute saying it cannot contact server. Its like the phone does not know to use WIFI. When I click on WIFI option in Settings, it takes a good 10 second to actually show the screen. And in battery usage it shows Bluetooth 7%.. I have not had bluetooth on in months. All location services are off.
This went from the best phone I ever owned (I've had plenty since Droid 2) to the worst after this Kitkat update.

Even after a reset? Sounds like the flash got corrupted... I would do a TOT reflash to 11A, OTA to 12B, then OTA to 24A, factory reset again... Or call VZW for a replacement, this behavior is not normal.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Vakharn

Reaction score
I'm having all kinds of issues with my phone since the update. A few examples:

In the car I use the phone hooked up to my stereo via aux jack, and it used to work so that if I answered a phone call while it was hooked into the stereo the audio would be routed to my speakers and the microphone would pick me up as if the phone were set to speakerphone. Now this doesn't work, and if I manually put it on speakerphone the audio is routed through the phone speakers rather than the aux jack.

The audio in calls is horribly tinny with high pitched sounds amplified, and has a staticy crackle. I also get more people complaining that they can't hear me. The call quality with this phone used to be pretty good, now it's awful.

When I try to tap the screen to turn the phone on it only works like 1/3 of the time. It used to work at least 80% of the time.

I really don't want to do a factory reset, it's a pain in the ass and I'm not even sure how to reliably back up everything on my phone to do so. Is there any way to just remove the update?

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Look. No one really wants to do an FDR, but to be honest, there's no other way. Once you update to the next version, there's no going back. Look at it like this. You wanted your phone to be newer and fresher, right? That's why you took the update. Well, an FDR will give you a chance to start over with it.

Or don't. But if you don't you'll always have problems hate your phone.