Tempted, have questions

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by IanG, Aug 23, 2010.

1. IanG

IanG Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey guys, I'm tempted to root my phone but I'm not sure what to do with it after I root.

Honestly, I don't want to load a new ROM. I like the standard UI and everything as it is - works for me perfectly and does everything I want.

However, I'd like two things:

WiFi Hotspot, and Overclocking.

I was told I can simply just root and load a new kernel onto the phone, such as a P3 kernel here: P3Droid Kernels

Once I'm rooted, I can also install the WiFi hotspot app, and that's that. No custom UI ROMs or anything. Is that correct?

Also, I would like to overclock my phone but not have a huge hit on my battery life. I am currently running stock 2.2. What would be the best speed/kernel for me to start with? I am worried that if I do not like changes, that I will not be able to do revert back to 100% stock. How would I do this?

Thanks!

2. cromo8

cromo8 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  3. IanG

IanG Member

Ratings:
    +1
    So I just download that .APK, install it, and I'm rooted?

Sorry, new to the whole rooting scene. Again, I just want a faster phone with wireless hotspot/tether :)

4. cromo8

cromo8 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yes that simple and follow instructions

5. IanG

IanG Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Okay, so after I've rooted, everything will look the same. Then, I install that kernel and I'm overclocked? That simple? Also, after I'm rooted, i can just install the Wireless tether .apk, and I've got everything I want without changing the UI?

Thanks,
    Ian

6. cromo8

cromo8 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    you got it my man that easy and simple

7. nickelocene

nickelocene Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to root my droid as well. But before doing, I'd like to know if I should backup my current stock rom. If needed, how should I do it? Also, can I use DMupdater to unroot, just like EasyRoot is capable?

Thanks,

8. cromo8

cromo8 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    dont need to backup

and yes it can help you go back to stock 2.2 or even 2.1

9. creamers

creamers Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dmupdater will does not contain the exploid (Yes I ment exploid) patch. That dmupdater will root 2.0.1 and 2.1

Heres the simple way to do it.

1. Download RSD Lite
    2. Download Sprecovery SBF Verify the MD5 sum of this file. It should be 9b6a336cd8f067d4487935468c758d89 Google how to check the md5 on windows.
    3. Connect your droid and enter Bootloader Mode. Turn off your phone completly and make sure it is connected and turn it on while holding down the up button on the D-Pad.
    4. Now open RSD Lite and select your droid and select the .sbf you downloaded.
    5. Apply it and let it reach 100% before you do anything just to be sure.
    6. Flash a custom rom which is the easyist way to obtain true root.

Roms. Bugless Beast
    Cyanogen Mod
    Saphire

All of these are located here.

For cyanogen mod download Cyanogen Mod RC 3.

Hope this helped.

By the way if someone points you to a 2.0.1 update.zip it will fail for some reason.

Also I suggest after appying a custom rom you download Rom Manager and flash clockwork Recovery. (It is included with cyanogen mod.)

Keep in mind no one si responable is something happens.

#9 creamers, Aug 24, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  10. RW-1

RW-1 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    No offence to cromo8, but +1 to creamers...

I find SPR to be the most stable for managing the phone, so many people have had issues with CW or DM.

However what creamer has given you is only to get you rooted and with SPR.

Step #6 will be a huge one, however what I recommend here is getting the stock froyo, one place is here:

Download Froyo (2.2) for Your Motorola Droid ! ! ! - for ROOTED users

No matter which one you get, what you will do is change the name of the zip file to update and place on your Sd card, then reboot into SPR to install it.

11. creamers

creamers Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I used to only Use SPR but It got annoying changing the names of files and constantly getting them mixed up. So I switched to clockwork mod also because I love having the advanced features of it. Rom Manager is nice to and saves me the trouble of having to copy files back and fourth since my usb port is very sketchy since it has been knocked around alot.

@RW-1 I suggested using a custom rom since it seems like the stock roms love to come with stock recovery and since they don't have a bunch of the basic tweaks people need. Like a stock rom will replace recovery on boot and comes with stock. Some of them dont even come with busybox.

12. mcchub

mcchub New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i tried to put spr on my phone using RSD lite, when i click on the start button i get an error saying
    "Failed flashing process: Failed flashing process. Unable to retrieve Inialization calues from INI file.(0x7029: phone connected"
    i am running stock 2.2 on a droid 1