Tempted by Droid 3 - but shudder at the thought of a stock ROM

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by AndyMcDroid, Jul 10, 2011.

1. AndyMcDroid

AndyMcDroid Member

Ratings:
    +2
    My NE2 date just arrived about 47 minutes ago. While I'm tempted by the Droid 3, and would readily upgrade if I were still stock, I hesitate - knowing that doing so would mean waiving goodbye to all that is Chevy and CM7. Chevy has brought my OG Droid to another level, making the Droid 3 not as significant of an upgrade as it might otherwise be.

Right now I've got: nandroid backups, Titanium Backup, and more flexibility with Tasker, notification power widget, lock apps in memory, no bloat, and a bunch of other stuff I can't think of right now - all of which I'll lose with the Droid 3 (at least initially).

Anyone else feel that having an OG Droid running as well as it does with Chevy's ROM makes the upgrade decision more difficult?

2. What316

What316 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm in the same boat. I got an early upgrade way back in december, and still haven't used it. I was waiting for the droid 3 to use it, but that stupid pentile screen bugs the hell out of me.
    I'm waiting for the bionic now, hopefully it will have a better screen. If not, oh well. I'm happy with the old gal with SS 5.4...Minus a touchscreen issue. But im getting used to that.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3. jeston

jeston Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the same thing in mind while waiting for the Bionic. I'm going to get it for sure, but it really pains me to move away from the Droid and Chevy. Hopefully it'll be unlocked in the future and will get some custom ROM/kernel love, maybe even from Chevy... :D

We'll see what the future holds.

4. redoregon

redoregon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking this thread is the highest compliment a developer could get.

--
    Sent from my Droid running SS5.4

5. rck76

rck76 DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +38
    +1 and Chevy sorry to hear you are are having problems with windows SP1 update and your computer no longer is detecting you og droid. Hopefully, you get that figured out. I wish you the best of luck.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

6. Abadus

Abadus Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Agreed with the above. Chevy has allowed my phone to feel awesome long past it's time. I too am waiting on the Bionic for an upgrade but worry it will not have all the functionality that my OG droid has.

Only problem with my phone right now I believe is a lack of memory. Outside of that I have 0 issues.

7. tjs

tjs Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same here. I have the original droid and I don't want to give it up.
    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

8. islander90

islander90 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL +1 as well... I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet though. I've got touchscreen issues and a bit of a memory issue and I think my phone's bogged down with too much stuff. I could either wipe it and run less apps or just get the D3. But if I just wipe, then I'm still left with half the RAM, 1/3 the processor, and a faulty touchscreen.

I think I'm gonna get the D3 but still use my D1 as a wifi only device for when I want to play around or have it as a backup when I go skiing or something like that. It IS a tough decision and I thank Chevy for all his work. Hopefully he gets a D3 as well and the dev community finds a way around the bootloader.

9. dtdlurch

dtdlurch Member

Ratings:
    +0
    MOTOBLUR has come a long way. The gingerbread version on my X is pretty damn good. A few annoyances but otherwise very useful. Some of the integrated apps I don't even replace anymore with market alternatives because motos works pretty well....for the most part. There are always exceptions.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

10. mustangraptor03

mustangraptor03 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    My NE2 won't be up until the end of November and the only thing I believe that would allow me is being able to see if the Droid 3 does become rootable and maybe even see if something better comes out (I was hoping for the HTC Merge to come to Verizon). I'm just not ready to ditch the physical keyboard yet, but all the newer phones with more RAM and internal space is starting to get to me (not to mention that I'd like to have wireless tether with infrastructure mode, which the OG Droid doesn't support). I love the Droid and I love Chevy's ROM and kernels, but the lack of RAM is starting to get to me. I guess the bright side will be seeing what comes out for the holiday season and what becomes rootable :)...

11. comk4ver

comk4ver Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I just got a droid x only cause of my memory issues on my og droid and I'm grateful to cyanogen for his work. I'm hoping he'll be able to get bionic in his rom when it comes out.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

12. ???

??? Member

Ratings:
    +3
    im due up on nov and so far nothing looks worthwhile.

why cant i have a nice keyboard 4.3 or 4.5in screen 4g phone?

so weak

13. AndyMcDroid

AndyMcDroid Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I can certainly understand internal storage and RAM issues. I'm not big on apps. I have way more than I ever imagined I would when I first got my Droid, but based on what I read in various forums, I'm well below average. Apps2SD can help with the internal storage issues, but RAM is another story.

Once in a while I get apps that lose their place when I return to them - I assume this is a RAM issue, but the biggest RAM issue I've had (I assume it's a RAM issue) is apps getting dumped while in the background - particularly Slacker and Copilot - which I've been able to address with "lock in memory".

Rarely, an app I'm using will suddenly exit. I assume that's Android killing it, but I would think this would be a last resort - killing the foreground app.

While I feel like more RAM is better, what exactly would more RAM do for me, considering it would be with a stock ROM?

14. steveff4

steveff4 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Timely thread. I'm also eligible for an upgrade, but I'm happy with my OG Droid (thanks to SS5.4).

The Droid 3 was tempting until I read about the pentile display.

15. shane1

shane1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been sittin on my upgrade for a few months. My d3 will be here tomorrow I'm gonna miss all chevy's great work and all the awesome themes drom bboy but I'm sure it won't be to long till all the goodness is available for the d3..... I hope:icon_ banana: