Temperatures

Discussion in 'Blackdroid' started by tonyr0802, Mar 23, 2010.

1. tonyr0802

tonyr0802 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've looked in various places, but can't seem to get a solid answer on what temperatures are acceptable. Just concerned with overclocking and when I should be getting concerned.

Currently I'm running UD8.0 and Chevy 1.0Ghz installed. While charging, clocked at 800 Ghz I'm seeing 111-116 F. While unplugged doing various things I see temps up around 120 F.

What's too high?

2. pdroid

pdroid Silver Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Read the "overclocking 101" thread...lots of good info there

3. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Curious, do you have your Droid in a sleeve or case? I'm working on my over clocking thread and your temps seem high based on my current benchmarks.

4. Jim 777

Jim 777 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Crap that's high? I was running a sustained 132F on I5 with it mounted on the windshield, running 2 GPS apps and acting as the MP3 player for the car.

5. HermitObserver

Ratings:
    +0
    I get scared if mine is above 110F :(:(.UD always has run very hot for me, one of the reasons I switched.

6. tonyr0802

tonyr0802 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I keep mine in a case

7. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Thank you. That explains why you are running so hot. You're trapping the heat. The stock battery door is a great heat sink if you holds the droid with your hand cupped. The case you have chosen doesn't allow for that proper air flow. I will do further research and post another article to my over clocking thread.

8. tonyr0802

tonyr0802 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Curious to hear what others are doing as well regarding cases. Are most of you using one, or leaving the Droid naked?

9. bill1253

bill1253 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    From what I've read 212f is max but most say 180f is max.
    I've had mine as hot as 145f with adamz kernel. I ran the stress test on a few kernels and settled on chevys 1.0 GHz. Every droid seems to run different so you should do your own tests. I feel ok at 120f but it doesn't get that high unless I'm playing a game. Mid/upper 90's to low 100's is normal for mine.

On my droid:
    adamz runs cool but under load it heats up like a bonfire. In 4 mins it hit 130's and I stopped it
    chevys 1.2 max out at 132f ~15mins
    chevys 1.0 max out at 120f ~15 mins

imo .2 GHz for 12F difference isn't worth it. It really is personal preference
    Mine is naked with screen protector

10. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6

I don't know where you read 180F or higher is OK, but the sources are wrong. In fact very wrong. The CPU chip is certified for 170F. The support chips will be rated for even less based subjectively on my experience as an electronics tech for the last 24 years.

Please read my full response to this @ http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bl...101-concert-blackdroid-roms-3.html#post334036

11. bill1253

bill1253 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I didn't say it was ok to run at those temps. I said max temp. To me this is the temp at which catastrophic failure will occur which I have not been able to find. I never did say what temp a person should run at but what my experience was with 3 different kernels on my droid.

The operating temp by specs is 0-70c or 158f. But again, what is the max?
    I personally don't want to run mine above 130f. Heat is bad for electronics and will eventually cause failure.

Here is the thread which is still ongoing. page 12 has the specs thanks to Matth3w
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/20406-max-temp-while-overclocking.html

12. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6
    The spec shown in that thread is the operational range for the motherboard as a whole, not the chip by itself. As I stated in my thread, the support chips are always lower than the main chip. That post proves my point.

You don't want to see your Droid get above 120F based on my current research. I am still unable to track down a Motorola White Sheet for the battery but all of my research shows the battery is only recommend to run to 122F. There is other evidence that points to a mere 104F as the top end but I discount it as "Best Case" data for proper amperage flow. Lithium-Ion batteries actually work best when heated to a certain point. The colder the battery is the lower the output, amperage wise. And conversely if the temperature gets to high the amperage will drop off as well. But the big key is thermal run away in the battery cells. Which at 130F you are now with in 10F of getting near the industry standard for that condition. This fact has nothing to do with the Droid but the way the Lithium-Ion batteries are made as a whole.