1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Temperature of the Droid?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by ChalmersP, Nov 24, 2009.

1. ChalmersP

ChalmersP New Member

I added they battery app that also tells the phones temperature. Is that an accurate reading? The highest ive seen it at was 102.6 degrees, when should I start to worry about that?
    Thanks
  2. Sleeve

Sleeve New Member

When it starts to cough and oil runs out of the USB jack.
  3. Harrison_W1337

Harrison_W1337 New Member

I have not yet tried that app but I can deffinitly feel some heat, even through my plastic case.
  4. ChalmersP

ChalmersP New Member

Thats the thing that worries me... When im playing a game I cant check the temp. but it feels very hot! Is this anything to worry about?
  5. Stigy

Stigy New Member

When the phone is idle and just sitting on my desk it is at about 32°C ~ 90°F so yours seems a bit hot, but I am sure once you start using it that temperature is normal.
  6. ChalmersP

ChalmersP New Member

Right now its fully charged, connected to my mac, and being idle at 82 degrees... Seems fine for resting! But I still havent heard what its TOO HOT?
  7. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

Think of your Droid like a mini PC. When CPU and/or GPU utilization are high, the device is going to start kicking out heat. There's a high performance chipset in this little package, and it doesn't even have the luxury of a fan to keep it cool. The casing of the phone basically acts like one large heatsink. And when battery demand is high, the battery will produce additional heat. I'd say too hot would be when it actually becomes uncomfortable to hold.

Other than that, spontaneous reboots and/or random lockups can be symptoms of an overheating condition; either the CPU or memory. Graphical corruption (artifacting) can also be a sign that the graphics core is overheating. Basically the same symptoms of an overheating PC.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  8. iiimegamaniii

iiimegamaniii New Member

87 -97 fer me here under normal use / while plugged-in while using.

- Mega
  9. rtacemery

rtacemery New Member

I was going to ask this same question...glad I searched first!

There have been other discussions about heat, but I was never able to find out if "noticeably warm" is normal. While at rest (and stand-by), the phone feels cool. When charging and playing intense games, the back of the phone feels warm to the touch. Not hot, and not uncomfortable, but noticeably warm. I expect it under those conditions; as has been stated, it's really a portable computer.

But this morning, there were 9 applications that were updated in the market. So I downloaded and installed all of the updates. During the process, the back of the phone (near the camera lens) got noticeably warmer (which happens whenever I use the Internet more than briefly); again, not what I would define as "hot", but a little warmer than "casually warm" (I also understand that my hand will also warm the area when I'm holding the phone). Using the battery widget, I've never seen the temperature go over 100 degrees F.

All of this to simply ask "is this normal; does everyone experience this behavior?" I can certainly live with it, but if there's something wrong with the device, I'd rather exchange it now than wait for something to go catastrophically wrong because of the heat. Can anyone offer me peace of mind?

Thanks,
    Rick
Search tags for this page

droid app for temperature

how do you change the temp. of a motorola droid phone

tenmpeururederiod