Temp monitor?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by gary109, Feb 11, 2010.

1. gary109

gary109 New Member

Let me start by saying that i dont keep browser windows open... Apps running etc... now with that being said,can someone explain to me why im constantly in the mid to high 40c? Im running sholes rom at 800... by the way it just started doing this. Any help is appreciated.
  2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

I'm not sure.....it stays that high even when it's not charging? Or using the wifi tether (if you even use that)?

But, honestly, that's kinda high, but really not high enough that I would be worried about...the Droid can take it I assure you, but if it goes significantly higher then you have a problem...lol :)
  3. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

I've moved your thread into the hacks section, seeing as you are not running stock. Hopefully someone here can answer your question better.
  4. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Are you using the profiles in the SetCPU app?
  5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

40c is not that high. You can go safely up to 45c but as previous poster said make sure your profiles are set correctly.
  6. gary109

gary109 New Member

No,not while charging. Im not using the tether, mainly browser... Im pretty sure my profiles are set correctly.
  7. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Then I wouldn't worry about it. 5 degrees centigrade is far different from 5 degrees Fahrenheit. If you're at 40 you are fine.
  8. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

that's the same kind of temps I see when I'm browsing. Mine are normally 102-105F. I think that is what it runs with almost any phone that is overclocked and some stock phones run that high. Normal.
  9. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Not to be picky, but wouldn't the hacking-help section make more sense?
  10. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you were leaving browser windows open. Based upon my re-reading you post, your temps are high. If it just started I would think you have a couple of possibilities. One is that there is something running that you aren't aware of. Check the battery usage to if there is anything odd there. If that is not the case, you may have a battery going bad.

The above is based on my assumption that you are talking about battery/system temp and not chip temp.

Are you using Setcpu profiles to ramp down the speed when not needed? If not, get it and do profiles of 550/250 when the speed isn't needed.
  11. Signum

Signum Member

i ran my phone at 52C yesterday with no problems (thats ~125F). that was after extremely heavy web browsing.

within 10 minutes of idle the phone had cooled back down to around 70F. the phone heats up fast but cools off equally fast.
  12. Guchi

Guchi New Member

me to but it was up to 53c
  13. beneharris

beneharris New Member

yeah, ive noticed that it will heat up to the temperature its goign to run at insanely fast, like within a minute. but it will top off there
  14. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

You might also want to check your temp monitoring intervals. I keep mine at the longest on all settings. I am not sure whether the temp monitor does add to the cpu use, but at least one thread response by a member here, LrdElderon (sp. sorry man) sure made me think that perhaps it could. He seems to really know this temp stuff, and at 1.3 on my phone I can browse my fanny off and the phone never gets much above ambient air temp. I am pdanet tethering right now at 69F on the cpu guage.

Craig
  15. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm trying to learn about this stuff too. Only thing I know in regards to polling to see cpu speed at least, is that polling fast enough for real time cpu frequency monitoring would cause the cpu to throttle up. checking the temp I'm not super sure, if you set the interval too fast it prob would make the cpu stay at a higher clock then it needs to be.

As for temps... well I can't seem to find squat on what our real temp range is. The only info I know for sure is the battery itself has a recommended range of up to 45c by Motorola on the droid spec page and that's it. A few people like taz working on the overclock kernels said the temp range for the cpu at least was -40 to 105c but that was for the omap3530 cpu and ours is apparently the Omap 3430. I can not for the life of me find any official temps for this processor even from the technical manual (3500 page processor / kernel manual from TI). I might have to just call TI and ask, maybe they'd give a straight answer.

I've also read on multiple sites people mentioning that perhaps our 3430 and the 3530 are actually the exact same, just ours is oem for mobile carriers and the other is sold to end users and developers.

I'm just guessing here but as long as you are not worried about the battery temps the cpu temps could go into the mid 50's to 60's and you'd be ok, just don't keep it there for long periods. 60c+ might not hurt the cpu right away but it might damage the memory chips and various components around it.

But I'm not an expert, if someone actually knows better correct me and post sources if possible. I looked all day yesterday for a thermal operating range for our exact chip and had zero luck. Now it's like my mission because it irked me so bad haha:)

edit: a poster in another temp thread did post a omap 3430 development kit, but I think the chips are actually modular as I didn't see the intergrated gpu unit listed on it which our chip does. I'll have to double check.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010