Temp monitor question

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by yakitori, Sep 9, 2010.

1. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I have a rooted D1

SSv4.7 ss theme
    chevy mv 1.0ghz kernel
    o/c setcpu 1000 max 250 min
    throttle back profiles for screen off, temp >44.9, and lower battery etc.

I tried other kernels and no matter which one I use...phone gets hot to the touch, battery temps hot/cpu as well. Not only that, my phone doesnt like the lv or ulv kernels regardless of p3 or chevy... I know there are other kernels..but Im just tired of trying a bunch of them out...cause the one I have works fine for me now.

So...temp wise..I only get slightly higher temps at 1000...vs 900...and 800 has still gotten up to 111 or so stress testing or heavy use.

1000 has only gotten up to 116 (a spike)..it drops back down to low 100s when not heavy use.

I got a quadrant of 1317 with the 1000hz setting. And like 1050 or so with the 800.

I have not noticed my phone feeling hot to the touch even though my cpu temps say 116 or so. My battery temp only fluxes from about 96-101 tops.

I guess I just wonder if that is anything to worry about...or is it normal. I know the electronics are rated higher temps..like up to 170 or so. I personally dont think 111f is that big a deal considering ambient temps in texas can be that much alone w/o air conditioning.

Should I just go ahead and leave it at 1000 max on demand and keep monitoring my temps. At what temperature should I consider being way too hot to continue running at this frequency?

I have read the overclocking 101 thread too...no need to link me to it. :)

2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I have a rooted Droid. I've run several roms and typically Chevy's kernels work best on my phone. I've never exceeded 1.25 and my temps do not exceed 105. It seems that every phone works/plays differently with roms themes, and kernels. If my be that your phone should not exceed 900.

Here is the best tutorial on OC that I've found http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/47871-overclocking-101-a.html.

Mike

3. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +93
    Alright I had to go way back to find this information

• Texas Instruments OMAP3430 processor running at 550 MHz
    • IVA 2+ Subsystem TMS320C64x+™ DSP core supporting multiple codecs
    • 166 MHz Mobile DDR SDRAM memory, 128 MB
    • Scalable NOR flash memory
    • NAND flash memory, 256 MB
    • Built-in LCD controller supports up to 24 bpp TFT interface
    • Built-in driver supports XGA 1024x768 at 24-bit color
    • Integrated 4-wire touch screen controller
    • 10/100 Base-T Ethernet controller (application/debug)
    • Integrated Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
    • I2S compliant audio codec (TI TWL4030 – 16-bit stereo DAC, 13-bit ADC)
    • PC card expansion CompactFlash® Type 1 card
    • MMC/SD card support
    • USB 2.0 high-speed host interface
    • USB 2.0 high-speed On-the-Go device interface
    • Three external UARTs
    • Commercial temperature (0°C to +70°C)
    • SOM-LV Type III form factor (31 x 76.2 x 7.4 mm)
    • RoHS compliant
    70C = 158F

4. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    even at the 800 hz setting my phone will reach 107 and spike to 111...so...I dont see the difference if my phone is faster at the 1000hz setting if it spikes a little higher to 116. It doesnt stay there for extended periods of time.

I have it set to throttle back to 400hz max if temp is greater than 44.9, so.

I know that monitoring my temps in setcpu that it fluctuates quite a bit at times.

I dont have any issues with the rom...no force closes...no freezing or other quirks like rebooting. Its really smooth and responsive...and my phone doesnt get hot to the touch, so.

I dont think its anything to worry about really...but I will continue to monitor.

Thank you for the hardware specs! I know that electronics are typically designed to handle higher temps...I have a race bike with bazzaz quickshift and the shift rod switch is right next to my engine (which gets up to 225f constantly) It is rated for 190 and sees that temp for sustained amounts of time...and it handles it fine.

I know that cell cpu is likely more delicate than racing ignition modules.

5. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +93
    Here is how much faith I have in the CPU

I have no profiles set and O/C to 1.2Ghz as a constant plus I have no temp monitor installed (there might be one in SetCPU, but I have never looked at it) and if anyone puts there device to use in a days time, it is me

6. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    lol.... :D

temp monitor = my hand. If its hot...it burns. haha.

Honestly I am not worried because my phone doesnt hot to the touch on the back even if my cpu temp reads 107. I understand that it takes time to transfer heat from the cpu to the casing to my hand...but stock my phone got hot all the time, especially on long phonecalls...so Im pretty sure things arent burning up or getting damaged.

#6 yakitori, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  7. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    just wanted to update...before on set cpu I was running 32000 sampling rate and 50 up threshold...0, 0 other settings.

I changed my settings to 62500, 70, 0, 0

and it seems to have bring my temp down

overclocked main in setcpu to 1000 mhz max / 250 min

would overclocking to that high be unsafe? Do you think I should scale it down to 800hz? My CPU temps seem to be the same whether its 1000 or 800...or hell even clocked it down to 550 max and my temps were same as all the higher settings.

8. Smokie

Smokie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    my d1 is overclocked @ 1ghz under normal use it hovers around 109-117F. none of the temps posted so far are anywhere near 158F. so we are all good.. btw Slayer kernels run cooler then Chevy's for me. both are great none the less.

9. heavyvino

heavyvino Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried the ulv 1Ghz kernel, lv 1GHz, and the med voltage 1GHZ and must conclude my phone dosn't like 1GHZ so now I will experment with 800MHZkernels.

Anybody else got any ideas?
    Is there any differance in kernels for other people, or will I get better results if I start running SS 4.7 and using Chevys kernels?

10. TedWilliams

TedWilliams Member

Born in Cambridge, MA but now live in Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +0
    Prior to 4.7 I had been using Chevys kernels rather exclusively. After 4.7 came out, my phone was running super hot, even after I fixed the OTA bug. I've since switched to a P3 kernel and my phone stays nice and cool.

11. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I tried P3 kernel and my phone was hotter than with chevys.

you can always try other kernels.

12. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +93
    Out of curiosity, what happened that brought you to the conclusion of your phone not liking 1Ghz kernels ?