Telus Milestone on Bell (in Canada).

luggage

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have just gone through a lot of annoyance getting my Telus Milestone on Bell networks and figured I'd share what I've done to make this happen.

I had a Blackberry tour with Bell, but I didn't like it much and wanted to develop applications for Android, and I absolutely loved the look and feel of the Milestone, so I decided to either get it from Europe or here in Canada.

So, first off, Telus won't sell you the Milestone if you're not a customer of them - which means that if you want it with another carrier or for something else, you have to buy a SIM card to use with the phone - this will cost around 50 bucks, unless you buy it online where it should be free.

Even if you buy it without a contract for the full price, it is not unlocked (I don't get this country...) so you'll need to contact someone who can unlock it for you. Telus won't do it, but should be able to about one month after you bought the phone, or so I was told.
The phone unlocking service I used was Phone Unlock & Mobile Unlocking Codes - ThePhoneUnlockers.com - they were having some technical issues when I bought my unlock code, but I got it after re-verifying the information (they want the model number under the battery, not the model name as given by Motorola) and about 24 hours of waiting.

The phone unlocking is slightly confusing, as it uses the word "pin", when it is a phone subsidy code unlock.

If you turn on the Milestone with a non-Telus SIM-card then it will ask you for this code. I could only use a pure number code, and not the number-and-letters-codes I also received (they send more than one to make sure).

I messed around with this for some time because if you try to open this unlock code window by pressing star (alt + k on the slide out keyboard) it will start a default search instead. It takes some time to get into this code unlock window and I've had success with different methods: opening the settings and pressing * from there, having options in an application and then pressing *, and so on...

When you do get the code successfully typed in, it should unlock without problems - unless you're on Bell.

Since I had a Blackberry I had to change the SIM-card and data plan to something compatible, and the information regarding this is confusing at best. It is about 50/50 weather you talk to someone who understands this concept, bothers to or feels like going through it with you. My best experience was a Bell store - preferably someone senior who knows what they're doing. Phone tech support was useless and information often wrong or misgiving.

After I had a SIM-card that would work in the phone it should have been done and over with - but no, you need to set up the data settings for it to work properly, since the Milestone is not officially supported by Bell.
The information and help regarding this is also often wrong and misleading, so I finally worked it out myself by using the settings for new PDA/unlisted phones given on the Bell website.

I went to:
Settings-> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks (select Bell here) -> Access Point Names.
Here, create a new APN (menu button and then New) and type in these bits of information:

Name: (Any name is good here I think, I put Bell)
APN: pda.bell.ca
Proxy: web.wireless.bell.ca
Port: 80

That's it. After that I was able to connect properly, use 3G and everything seems to work fine now.

I've been struggling with this for days, so I hope this information can help someone in the same situation. :)

MrBigDeal

Reaction score
Just buy it from Future Shop/Best Buy, they don't make you activate anything.
Go to bell and buy a sim card for $5 then yes, you have to set the apn up on it.
With any different carrier's pda you have to.

Bell doesn't have "universal" data yet, they have Blackberry or PDA data.
So you can only use pda's if you have a pda data. Kinda sucks :(
Hopefully they change that soon.

Sorry to hear you had that much annoyance, I had mine activated an hour after I bought it, but I work for Bell so I guess it's a little easier for me.

AverageCanadian

Reaction score
If you're on Rogers you can use BB data on a regular smartphone but you can't use smartphone data on a BB because all of BB's data goes through RIM's servers.

Also, the easiest way for me to get the pin screen back was to just turn the phone off and on again. Voila the pin screen pops up again.

Bossman74

Reaction score
I don't see the "3G" icon after entering the settings, is there something more that I have to configure ???

:icon_eek:

brendanmurphy

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have just gone through a lot of annoyance getting my Telus Milestone on Bell networks and figured I'd share what I've done to make this happen.

I had a Blackberry tour with Bell, but I didn't like it much and wanted to develop applications for Android, and I absolutely loved the look and feel of the Milestone, so I decided to either get it from Europe or here in Canada.

So, first off, Telus won't sell you the Milestone if you're not a customer of them - which means that if you want it with another carrier or for something else, you have to buy a SIM card to use with the phone - this will cost around 50 bucks, unless you buy it online where it should be free.

Even if you buy it without a contract for the full price, it is not unlocked (I don't get this country...) so you'll need to contact someone who can unlock it for you. Telus won't do it, but should be able to about one month after you bought the phone, or so I was told.
The phone unlocking service I used was Phone Unlock & Mobile Unlocking Codes - ThePhoneUnlockers.com - they were having some technical issues when I bought my unlock code, but I got it after re-verifying the information (they want the model number under the battery, not the model name as given by Motorola) and about 24 hours of waiting.

The phone unlocking is slightly confusing, as it uses the word "pin", when it is a phone subsidy code unlock.

If you turn on the Milestone with a non-Telus SIM-card then it will ask you for this code. I could only use a pure number code, and not the number-and-letters-codes I also received (they send more than one to make sure).

I messed around with this for some time because if you try to open this unlock code window by pressing star (alt + k on the slide out keyboard) it will start a default search instead. It takes some time to get into this code unlock window and I've had success with different methods: opening the settings and pressing * from there, having options in an application and then pressing *, and so on...

When you do get the code successfully typed in, it should unlock without problems - unless you're on Bell.

Since I had a Blackberry I had to change the SIM-card and data plan to something compatible, and the information regarding this is confusing at best. It is about 50/50 weather you talk to someone who understands this concept, bothers to or feels like going through it with you. My best experience was a Bell store - preferably someone senior who knows what they're doing. Phone tech support was useless and information often wrong or misgiving.

After I had a SIM-card that would work in the phone it should have been done and over with - but no, you need to set up the data settings for it to work properly, since the Milestone is not officially supported by Bell.
The information and help regarding this is also often wrong and misleading, so I finally worked it out myself by using the settings for new PDA/unlisted phones given on the Bell website.

I went to:
Settings-> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks (select Bell here) -> Access Point Names.
Here, create a new APN (menu button and then New) and type in these bits of information:

Name: (Any name is good here I think, I put Bell)
APN: pda.bell.ca
Proxy: web.wireless.bell.ca
Port: 80

That's it. After that I was able to connect properly, use 3G and everything seems to work fine now.

I've been struggling with this for days, so I hope this information can help someone in the same situation. :)

I went into the store to upgrade my internet stick to a motorola milestone and they wouldnt allow it. So i bought the Milestone no contract to use on rogers but i called in to telus and they allowed me to upgrade so i went back in they refunded my money and i got it on a 3 year with telus. They will sell you the phone no problem. And sim cards are 9.99

Mighty D

Reaction score
Confused

Heya folks,

First post here and hopefully not the last.. here is what im up against:
For a few months now I have been wanting to get a Moto Droid / milestone but the challenge is that im stuck with Bell for the next 2 years. I have gone to a couple of stores that carry these devices and they have all told me that if im not with Rogers / fido or Telus I cant use one. Reading the post Luggage gives me hope but before I go and spend 600 bucks...

Can I buy a Telus Droid and have it work on Bell. If so, then exactly how do I do that?

Thanks...

Bossman74

Reaction score
Heya folks,

First post here and hopefully not the last.. here is what im up against:
For a few months now I have been wanting to get a Moto Droid / milestone but the challenge is that im stuck with Bell for the next 2 years. I have gone to a couple of stores that carry these devices and they have all told me that if im not with Rogers / fido or Telus I cant use one. Reading the post Luggage gives me hope but before I go and spend 600 bucks...

Can I buy a Telus Droid and have it work on Bell. If so, then exactly how do I do that?

Thanks...

No worries, I've done exactly that, I won a Milestone through a Telus Twitter give away, unlocked it with an online unlock code store, and using on the Bell network. I'm actually writing this on it right now.

Mighty D

Reaction score
Bossman, thanks for the replay - one more point to clarify and then its off to the telus store: what type of data plan do you use? I have a bb9000 currently and "unlimited" (3gigs) of data per month with it. Would that work or do i need to change the plan?

Bossman74

Reaction score
Bossman, thanks for the replay - one more point to clarify and then its off to the telus store: what type of data plan do you use? I have a bb9000 currently and "unlimited" (3gigs) of data per month with it. Would that work or do i need to change the plan?

I'm not sure, depending on the person you talk to you'll get a different answer.

Before I switched to the Milestone, I called bell and the guy I talked to said, that since I was my personal phone and I wasn't buying it through Bell, I could keep my actual plan (I had a HTC touch with unlimited browsing). But when I activated my phone, I didn't have data, I had to call bell again and they changed my plan to a compatible Smartphone plan in order for it to work with my phone.

I don't if your BB plan will work, but if you read the first post by luggage, he mentioned that he had to change both his SIM card and plan.

Mighty D

Reaction score
I phoned bell this morning and they said that the data may (or may not) work depending on the BES servers we use.. i tried explaining to them that I am not using any kind of BES and they transfered me half a dozen times with each new person knowing even less then the one before... argh.

Has any one tried using a non-bb with a bb data plan with Bell?

Andrewj67

Reaction score
Mighty D,
as a general rule, you can't use anything except a BB with a BB internet plan, as mentioned before, all BB data routes through blackberry servers and they're either not compatible with or just programmed to ignore non-bb data.

BB's use a wicked compression technology for their data transmission and everything is done a little weirdly with them, but they do good work so who's to argue?

Cheers,
Andrew

Mighty D

Reaction score
Ok guys, here the update:

On Wednesday of last week the blackberry (i am assuming out of sheer spite) decided to die on me and I grabbed one of my older ones for a few days. Thursday I went to bestbuy and picked up a moto droid (or milestone.. whats the difference anyway?) locked to Telus. Went online to CellUnlockingCodes.com (where I have gotten 3 devices unlocked in the past with no problems) and purchased a code from them. This monday I got a response from one of their staff with the following:

Hi,

Sorry I have been unable to generate the correct unlock code for your mobile. There are so many mobile out there sometimes the firmware on certain versions mean I can't generate the code.

I have sent your details over the accounts team who will send you a refund. Although normally quicker please allow up to 7 days for the refund to get back into your account.

Once again I apologise for not being able to get the correct code for your mobile. Your only option may be your network operator or a local shop who can unlock via a cable.

Thanks

Logan

While I am happy that they arent keeping my 10 bucks, I still need to get this thing unlocked.. any ideas as to where I can do this online? Any suggestions?

Please help... the older bb is an even bigger pain then the 9000 was and I cant wait to get this sweet android up and running...

Bossman74

Reaction score
I got my unlock code at http://www.mobileincanada.com

Worked like a charm, that was about 3 months ago

The difference between the two versions is that the Milestone (Telus) is HSPA (gsm) and the Droid (Verizon) is CDMA, the rest is the same.

Mighty D

Reaction score
Thanks for that... just ordered the code now. Keeping my fingers crossed

Mighty D

Reaction score
This is strange:

mobileincanada.com sent me an unlock code, their tutorial shows that I should insert the SIM into the phone and a screen should come up with "enter code" but it doesnt. The device can make and receive calls just fine.. and do just about everything else as well. Thing is I have a hard time believing that bestbuy sold me a brand new, unlocked device. is there a way to see what the current locks are (i know how to do this on a bb but not on a droid)...

Any thoughts?