Tell me your thoughts on this SetCPU idea...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Matth3w, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

I mentioned this idea in a couple of threads but other discussions were going on so I didn't want to derail those discussions and my idea got lost in the mix anyhow...

So as myself and a couple of others have mentioned....we only care about the max overclock (for me, 1GHz) when browsing the phone. In other words, I want programs, apps organizer, the phone, messaging, GMail etc to open lightning fast....but I don't care about having 1GHz when browsing or playing games because the phone gets too hot.

Not too hot as in "damn I'm worried about messing up the phone" but hot as in my hands are sweating and it's just uncomfortable to hold and use when I'm sweating all over the place.

Not to mention the extra battery drain from using more processing power.

It would be great if you could use SetCPU profiles depending on what you were doing, but obviously you can't and that would be a colossal amount of code to get it working.

So I was thinking about picking a relatively low number, like maybe 97F and setting my failsafe profile for that. So indirectly it would block the CPU from going 1GHz while browsing and playing games because both of those things get the temp over 97F pretty quickly.

What do you guys think about this?
  2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Yep, that would probably do the job
  3. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

I'm going to try it and see what happens. I wish I could manually enter the temp I wanted instead of using the slider...
  4. JhankG

JhankG New Member

You can use the dpad, which makes it a lot easier to choose a precise temp.
  5. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Did not know that :) thanks
  6. dtartini

dtartini Member

As far as transitioning between apps fast I noticed a big difference when changing the "transition animations" speed using spare parts. You have probably already done this but ill just throw it out there just in case.
  7. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Nice, thanks.

I have it turned off by stock settings. I downloaded that spare parts but I didn't see any worthwhile portion of the program so I uninstalled it.
  8. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

a cpu governor profile "userspace" is supposed to be for a feature like that, but it's still in progress
  9. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Well I'm going to see if this works. It should work just fine.
  10. alm0614

alm0614 New Member

let us know how that works.. and can you change the setCPU from celsius to fahrenheit anyway? mines in C
  11. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

No you have to do it in C. 97F = 36.11111C
  12. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Perhaps I am missing something, but in my setcpu governer options there is conservative, userspace, powersave, ondemand and performance. I have not tried these, but assumed they worked. If they do work this might be worth testing to see if it will help you.

Craig
  13. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

I honestly haven't tried them. I don't an overall conservative profile, I just want to specifically block temps from playing games and surfing the web. Even when I was WiFi tethering I didn't get above 97F which is why I picked that number.
  14. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

userspace does not work yet
  15. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Brandon,

Thanks for the headsup. I kinda suspected as much from the earlier post. But perhaps the OP can find one of the others that will allow him to get where wants to go. It seems to me that while having a temp cut-off to protect the system is a great thing, that perhaps trying some things to control temp before cut might prove more useful in the long run.

Not exactly sure what userspace is in tended to be, perhaps you can shed some light, and know whether the developer is truely working on it, as posted. The Setcpu program is surely one of the most useful programs we have going now.

Craig
  16. alm0614

alm0614 New Member

did 97 work well?

and if yes, can you post exactly what your profiles are?
  17. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Seems to work well so far.

My profiles are:

Charging: 250/550
    Power <100: 550/1000
    Sleep: 250/550
    Failsafe when battery is greater than 36.11C: 250/550
  18. alm0614

alm0614 New Member

why would you have power less than 100? that means anytime it is not 100% charged it will be at 1000.. dont you want to make that your main setting and have it drop to 550 or something if power is less than say 30%
  19. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Just what I did. My battery always lasts throughout the day.
  20. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

That's what he said. I don't know him in any way, so I couldn't guarantee it. From what I read, the idea is to set it to ramp up for certain processes and down for others. More specific than the profiles to optimize certain tasks while saving temp and battery during others