Tell me why i should not sell my maxxhd for htc dna

OP
roach

roach

Reaction score
Battery, first and foremost! Only HTC device I've owned is the Thunderbolt, so I may be jaded ... but how can you think of going from a MAXX battery life to ANY other?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2
your right but i had to wait and see for myself,11gb of usable storage is not enough for me,compaired to 96 gigabytes that i have now, the battery i could of lived with 18-26 hours is plenty for me.sometimes you can tell by the price verizion sets $199.99 for the dna and $299.99 for the maxx_hd.
so i kept my maxx hd and didn't fall the hype.
Thank's

xmguy

Reaction score
Mine may be a bit past tense. I bought my Maxx HD when it launched on Oct 18th. But aside from the camera it's a terriffic phone. I took it to a signal dead zone and was still able to make a call. Plus with my Maxx HD even with it's massive battery I still end up at 20%+/- at the end of the day. I DON'T play games on my phone. I am a musician so I use alot of music stuff like a Chromatic Tuner. I also listen to LOADS of podcasts and internet radio like TuneIn and iHeartRadio. If I had a phone like the DNA that it would be dead before the day is even half through. In the end I want my phone to have enough battery to do what it's made for. Not show Movies in 1080P it's making phone calls! WOW :D. I didn't want think "why did I watch that 2 hour movie on Netflix, now I can't make a call(example)".

geoff5093

Reaction score
Well I'm kind of in the opposite boat here. I tried out the MAXX HD for a week, returned it, and then I bought the DNA. I love almost everything about the DNA from the screen, ergonomics, size, etc. What I found though is that the battery is pretty horrible, if I need to get through a full day I really need to watch what I do on the phone or else the battery will die on me in the early afternoon, and the camera isn't anything too special.

I've been debating going back to the MAXX HD, but there are only a couple things that are stopping me from immediately jumping back.

Specs. The DNA has a quad core and 2GB of RAM, compared to the dual-core 1GB MAXX HD. On the flip side though, the MAXX HD has 32GB of memory plus MicroSD slot.

Display. The DNA has a 5" 1080p display which is amazing, you can not see any pixelation at all, and the colors are very vibrant. The bezel is also incredibly thin, so it's really not that large.

Buttons. The MAXX HD has on screen buttons, but they are fixed pretty much 99% of the time so the usable screen size is really just around 4.3". I'm all for onscreen buttons, but not when you have so much unused space below the screen where capacitive buttons could fit.

Other than that, the incredible battery life, durability, and AOSP-like skin really have me missing my MAXX HD. Is it really that hard to make one awesome phone that has the specs and display of the DNA with the battery life and durability of the MAXX HD?

markymark

Reaction score
Seriously....the screen on the razr maxx is sweet. On a screen that size, there is no way you can tell the difference between 720 or 1080. Same with 1 gig ram vs 2 gig or quad core vs dual core. No apps are even written yet that take advantage of quad core.

The DNA is just another in a long string of disappointing HTC phones on Verizon. I loved the original incredible and kept waiting for the next great HTC phone to upgrade to. It never came. The DNA was the last straw. 11g of usable storage? You have to be kidding. I couldn't even take the apps and music I had on my 2 1/2 year old incredible and move it to the DNA. Not enough storage. And a 2020 mah battery to power that beast of a screen? Come on. What a joke. Not to mention the thing is just too big. How about a One X or One S size phone on Verizon? You either pick from the undersized 4 inch incredible LTE or the massive 5 inch oversized DNA.

The maxx hd has it all...perfect size, nice screen, good performance, great build quality, monster battery, tons of storage, global ready, both usb and hdmi out, nfc, etc etc. And unlike the UGLY UGLY motorola phones of the past, this is one good looking phone. IMO, the DNA is a joke compared to the maxx hd.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Once a program is written for two cores it can run on four cores, but still the apps written for dual cores are just now being developed and utilized.

But I agree the DNA is dismal at best for a company that needs a blockbuster device.

geoff5093

Reaction score
Seriously....the screen on the razr maxx is sweet. On a screen that size, there is no way you can tell the difference between 720 or 1080. Same with 1 gig ram vs 2 gig or quad core vs dual core. No apps are even written yet that take advantage of quad core.

The DNA is just another in a long string of disappointing HTC phones on Verizon. I loved the original incredible and kept waiting for the next great HTC phone to upgrade to. It never came. The DNA was the last straw. 11g of usable storage? You have to be kidding. I couldn't even take the apps and music I had on my 2 1/2 year old incredible and move it to the DNA. Not enough storage. And a 2020 mah battery to power that beast of a screen? Come on. What a joke. Not to mention the thing is just too big. How about a One X or One S size phone on Verizon? You either pick from the undersized 4 inch incredible LTE or the massive 5 inch oversized DNA.

The maxx hd has it all...perfect size, nice screen, good performance, great build quality, monster battery, tons of storage, global ready, both usb and hdmi out, nfc, etc etc. And unlike the UGLY UGLY motorola phones of the past, this is one good looking phone. IMO, the DNA is a joke compared to the maxx hd.
The DNA really isn't that large, it's almost an edge to edge display and the bezel on the top and bottom is much smaller than most phones, heck the DNA is actually narrower than the GS3. The size to me is perfect, now the Note 2 is a large phone!

markymark

Reaction score
The DNA really isn't that large, it's almost an edge to edge display and the bezel on the top and bottom is much smaller than most phones, heck the DNA is actually narrower than the GS3. The size to me is perfect, now the Note 2 is a large phone!

:) True. It's a matter of taste and personal preference. The DNA is about a half inch longer than the maxx hd, I think the width is about the same. Personally the maxx is about the size limit for me.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Grey boxes with 6 post alert.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Droid Forums

Bigbootyman

Reaction score
Okay, let me chime in from an older person's perspective. I've been with Verizon for 21 years. I've had A LOT of phones over that time, most of then Motorola and Samsung. My first plan was $19.95 for 1,000 minutes. HAHA!

The Maxx HD is AWESOME and the best phone I've owned so far. I've only owned two HTC devices. An EVO and a Rezound. Not to bash HTC, but in my personal experience, they have a long way to catch up with the basics of a mobile phone.

#1 Call Quality.
This is the most important thing for most of us and although many of us HTC owners have put up with less than par quality, we don't have to. Motorola to the rescue.
With Both of my HTCs, I would constantly get complaints of echoeing and many people thinking they were on speakerphone, even though they never were. Very disturbing.

#2. Battery life.
Most of us would like to have a phone to last all day. I don't have a land line, so I'm loving the MAXX. This phone lasts me 2 "all days". If you happen to have a boring Thanksgiving dinner and are stuck watching some old chick flick instead of the Lions? NFL Mobile saves the day. Hours later when you get home with your MAXX HD in hand and your tail between your legs, instead of having the worry about charging your phone, you still have 70% battery left! My HTC Rezound would last 6 hours on a good day and my EVO would give me 5-6. I always had to be near a charger. It reminds me of the pre-smartphone days. Those things would last a week on a single charge!

#3. Never drop calls. Samsung SIII is notorious for dropping calls and so was my HTC EVO. I never had an issue with any of my BlackBerrys', OG Motorola Droid, Motorola Droid x. Man did I hate that EVO!

I've had my Maxx HD since the first week it came out and I have no negative comments. I have yet to have it drop past 20% and it charges back to 100 % in less than an hour.
Is it perfect? Certainly not. Do other phones do some things better or faster? Sure they do, but I guarantee that the Maxx HD will still do everything that other phones will do and do them well.
I'm rooted, with JB and I'm not really concerned that a newer device has a quad core and MIGHT have better performance. I say MIGHT, because does it really matter that angry birds can open 1.2 seconds faster? Maybe to some, but not to me.

To those of you who plan on purchasing the DNA, I hope that HTC has listened to consumer feedback and has changed some very crucial defects in their otherwise great devices. To those of you that have purchased the HD or Maxx HD, be confident that you have made an excellent choice. This is one helluva GLOBAL, Cellular phone, in every sense of the word.

geoff5093

Reaction score
To those of you who plan on purchasing the DNA, I hope that HTC has listened to consumer feedback and has changed some very crucial defects in their otherwise great devices. To those of you that have purchased the HD or Maxx HD, be confident that you have made an excellent choice. This is one helluva GLOBAL, Cellular phone, in every sense of the word.
Thanks! Reading your post has made me think even harder about trading in my DNA for the MAXX HD again.

HTC listened to some aspects, but not in others. The battery life is very bad, if I don't use the phone the battery will easily last all day, standby time is fantastic. But once I start to use the phone you can watch the battery get lower and lower, on Thanksgiving I only got 6 hours of off charger time before it hit 30%.

Also, the MAXX HD has a micro HDMI port and MicroSD card slot, which are fantastic. Decisions, decisions!

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
This is how I figured it out. I prepay my Verizon account just shy of 5 months at a whack, payment due in December. Buy HTC DNA early December, little cash out of pocket, than abuse phone and have the HTC friends drool. Get tired of owning a "wired" phone, return for maxx HD, again little more money out of pocket. Up grade from maxx to maxx HD is a painless segue. And it won't fell like a $700+ screen update.

markymark

Reaction score
Thanks! Reading your post has made me think even harder about trading in my DNA for the MAXX HD again.

HTC listened to some aspects, but not in others. The battery life is very bad, if I don't use the phone the battery will easily last all day, standby time is fantastic. But once I start to use the phone you can watch the battery get lower and lower, on Thanksgiving I only got 6 hours of off charger time before it hit 30%.

Also, the MAXX HD has a micro HDMI port and MicroSD card slot, which are fantastic. Decisions, decisions!

Lol...I'm at 1d 10h 37m and my battery is still 70%. Granted most of that time was on wifi but still....3 push email accts, texting, talking, constantly checking email, and I've only used 30% of my battery in almost a day and a half.

Plus with the DNA having only 11g of usable storage, I couldn't even take the modest amount of music and apps I had on my droid incredible and move it to the DNA.

The maxx hd is easily the best android phone on the market right now. You could make an argument for the S3, but the basics of the maxx hd win out...call quality, radio signal strength, build quality, battery life are all superior. The DNA is not even in the same league.

harp666

Reaction score
I totally agree..not to mention all the HD accessories can can be purchased as well.

pblakk

Reaction score
markymark said:
Lol...I'm at 1d 10h 37m and my battery is still 70%. Granted most of that time was on wifi but still....3 push email accts, texting, talking, constantly checking email, and I've only used 30% of my battery in almost a day and a half.

That's it?? That's nothing.....I say stream HD YouTube for 20-30 mins and web surf for at least the same amount of time to really have a better idea on battery usage. But that's still surprisingly good.

swharshbar

Reaction score
Standard phone use, texting, websurf, ebay, forums and I'm going on 38 hours since my last charge and I still have 45% battery left. I can't believe how much time I consumed always worrying about battery life and now I don't have to even think about it. Unless another phone does something special that the Maxx HD doesn't do or some feature you can't live without... It should be an easy choice.