Tell me Why I should buy a Droid!

Striderdotcom

Reaction score
Ok I have lurked here long enough I have not bought a Droid yet, but for some reason I am holding back tell my why I should buy one

Lay it on me. :motdroidhoriz:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, a phone, a TV, a new car or any purchase boils down to your preference. If you've already been reading on here about the Droid, it's up to you to decide if you want a device that can do everything you've read about and want to pay the $29.99 for the unlimited data. For example, the Droid does everything I want it to do, so it was the right choice for me, but my Dad who is 80 yrs. old only needs a basic phone (and texting blocked).

Do you have any specific questions about the Droid compared to another phone you might be looking for?

Mojo

Reaction score
If there is not already enough information on this site for you to want to buy a droid.... well nothing anyone says will be able to convince you either. Droid sells its self.

GryphonD

Reaction score
Eh... tough one really

I would have to say, as someone coming from the BlackBerry (Tour) community...
The Droid (Moto Droid) is a small step up in terms of what all you can do with it. As for Signal Strength, it lacks behind my old Tour by a long shot, Speaker Phone is inferior as well is over all audio quality.

The rest of what it is capable of, including customization is of higher caliber. Though BlackBerry (If you are a business user or apply crucial data to your phone, is far superior to just about any phone out there for it's security).

Customizing either phone is a little bit of a learning curve, though I have .... Bricked my MD far less than I used to do to my BB.

As far as applications go.... Android Market has far more apps of which are less costly if not even free, the ability to OTA an OS/ROM and many other things with a Droid is very nice.

I have to say that the physical KB (Key Board) is in my opinion far less user friendly than that of my old BB Tour. I had one hand typing down with that phone and with my MD, I still at times struggle with two handing it. As for the SKB (Soft or on Screen Key Board goes... It is about on par with that of many other phones and you do not have to worry about "features" such as "Sure Press" as you do with the BB Storm, though as with almost all SKB, it is not well designed for larger fingers/thumbs.

For Voice Dictation/Dialing/Search/SMS and so on... Quite frankly, I used "Vlingo Pro Anywhere" on my old BB and it is light years ahead of Google's Voice Dictation in just about every way, it in fact learns your speaking style.... as long as you are speaking an actual language/dialect and not just a bunch of gutter slang. I rarely use the Voice Dictation on my Droid with any success, often feeling that I must yell at my phone in a monotone/semi-robotic manor and that most often does no good. Yet with VPA I was perfectly allowed to just speak as I normally would (Given it took VPA a week or two to learn my speech patterns well enough but that is a very minimal price to pay).

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's interesting that you've "lurked" in the forums and want people to convince you to buy a phone...

You either want it or you dont...

OP
S

Striderdotcom

Reaction score
In lurking I have developed some doubts I have been planning to get one since it came out and I am ready to heat to the store today. My biggest concern is First generation tech.

I have waited for years to get an iPhone and will not change to ATT

My sister has a BB Storm 2 and I was not impressed with it

I have personally used the palms and did not like those ether and currently I am using my Dare with unlimmited data (my Dare has died three times) FYI this bites

I am an engineer and I like to tinker but I need the functionality of organization and info at my fingertips

I know this is still vague I read all the posts and links I guess if anything just tell me what you like about

uflraptor

Reaction score
I won’t try to convince you of anything but I will tell you about my experience with the Droid.

I was previous using a Blackberry Tour. Except for the obvious of touch screen and non-touch they are similar phones in that they do quite a bit and do it very well.

Droid has as good or better speaker phone than Tour. I have also found reception (internal device radio) to be better with the Droid. Motorola has a reputation for having a very strong radio.

The two are night and day different in how they do things which causes a bit of a learning curve. Blackberry has spell check in almost all applications and Droid does not.

Droid I feel clearly excels in two areas. First is free turn by turn spoken navigation. Second is and AWSOME voice recognition system. It is amazing how this device integrates your phone, email and internet (specifically Google) all into one device.

OP
S

Striderdotcom

Reaction score
These are the replies I am looking for From someone who is using the phone and what s/he likes dislikes

I have been around many years and have seen things come and go

Thank you for honest answers

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I have personally used the palms and did not like those ether and currently I am using my Dare with unlimmited data (my Dare has died three times) FYI this bites

I am an engineer and I like to tinker but I need the functionality of organization and info at my fingertips

I know this is still vague I read all the posts and links I guess if anything just tell me what you like about

Blackberry Storm 2 the Droid is not! I had one of those and the Droid is far superior to the Storm. Storm isn't even in the same league, it's that much better. Faster browser, Great GPS, Voice search. It just does so much more then a blackberry. You can even give it a math problem vocally and it will solve it for you.

Simply a great phone. If you like to tinker, there's plenty of that too.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
In lurking I have developed some doubts I have been planning to get one since it came out and I am ready to heat to the store today. My biggest concern is First generation tech.

I have waited for years to get an iPhone and will not change to ATT

okay, well... the phone's been out since november (4 months to the day, lol)... so very shortly we will be seeing better phones available through your carriers... you may want to wait at this point... but the Droid is an amazing device, with a great group of devs working around the clock providing cutting-edge ROMs...

but some places, you can probably get a Droid for free (maybe $50) w/ a 2yr contract...

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
If there is not already enough information on this site for you to want to buy a droid.... well nothing anyone says will be able to convince you either. Droid sells its self.

It's interesting that you've "lurked" in the forums and want people to convince you to buy a phone...

You either want it or you dont...

^These

These are the replies I am looking for From someone who is using the phone and what s/he likes dislikes

I have been around many years and have seen things come and go

Thank you for honest answers

If you've been lurking you should have seen hundreds if not thousands of these types of threads in addition to thousands of 'what I like' and 'what I hate' posts and opinions.... If you can't make your own decision or do the research than why should others 'tell' you?
You obviously don't know what you're looking for or are incapable of making a decision on your own so an iPhone might be a better option for you. Otherwise you'll litter the thread with more 'should I root' or 'best apps' or 'which ROM should I use' and other BS threads that are already done to death... get something that will not give you options (like the iPhone).

sweaner

Reaction score
If you've been lurking you should have seen hundreds if not thousands of these types of threads in addition to thousands of 'what I like' and 'what I hate' posts and opinions.... If you can't make your own decision or do the research than why should others 'tell' you? .

Why are there always people on these forums that rudely answer questions like this? When someone asks a question, either post a helpful answer or shut up! Do you talk to people face to face like that? I doubt it.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you've been lurking you should have seen hundreds if not thousands of these types of threads in addition to thousands of 'what I like' and 'what I hate' posts and opinions.... If you can't make your own decision or do the research than why should others 'tell' you? .

Why are there always people on these forums that rudely answer questions like this? When someone asks a question, either post a helpful answer or shut up! Do you talk to people face to face like that? I doubt it.

Actually I do:icon_ devil:...
You have 30 days to decide if you want the phone... so if you're do for an upgrade get it if you think your interested, if you find you don't like it than exchange it. These devices are meant to be personalized and as with just about anything (computers, cars ect.) they are not for everyone but the only way you will decide is to TRY IT. I will warn you that for some there is a steep learning curve that is a barrier for many. But as a rule if you can't think or make decisions for yourself this device is likely not for you seeing as you will have to make decisions from the moment you get it (i.e. how to organize it, what programs to use ect.).

Last edited:

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score

Because it gets annoying answering the same questions over and over again..... If we wanted to answer the same questions repeatedly, we wouldn't need a forum.

I agree with KZIWarrior -- my first reaction was that this guy had no idea what he wanted and wanted someone else to make up his mind so he could avoid making a tough decision.

And, if you read his entire post, he agreed with a few other people (which constituted being helpful), and then made a point about how the OP should make up his own mind (which is also helpful).

I always try to be nice to people, but sometimes you have to take off the kid gloves and tell people to grow up.

cuskit

Reaction score
One good reason is the cost of a new Droid being only $49.00 (with plan renewal or upgrade). Dinner out one night - that's it! So, instead of taking your wife out one night spent mostly discussing whether you should buy the Droid or not - you can buy the phone, stay home and both enjoy the evening at home playing Droidian Chase (I'll let you imagine what that game might be)! :)

I understand procrastination - I do it all the time. But for the Droid - not a second's hesitation - I was waiting outside my local store when they opened the doors on the day my plan came up for NE2! 30 days usage to see if you like it or not - that's the deal breaker. You can spend 4 months wondering if it's the phone for you - or you can buy it and try it for 30 days and make a real time assessment of how useful it is for your needs. Within 30 days take it back - nothing lost!

Warrior speaks with wise tongue! I don't see disrespect here - just saying it the way it is. Sometimes you just have to take the bull by the horn! The part he mentioned about personalizing is a very valid point! :) mikey

Last edited: