1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Tell me this is not normal battery issue

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by neemo6, Jan 1, 2010.

1. neemo6

neemo6 New Member

Just got this phone yesterday and battery life seems to be extremely horrible. Yesterday phone came out of the box with half battery charge which i didnt expect to last long. Tried to run battery dry to fully charge that way to "condition" the battery. Today took the phone off charger after full nights charge, at around 12:30 pm. Within about 10-15 minutes phone was about 90%, no wifi, no bluetooth, or gps turned on. Have advanced task manager to stop apps. Today I have used the phone to use some music apps and to show off some other apps. Not once was gps, wifi, or bluetooth turned on. All day long I have been looking at my battery life and has been decreasing almost everytime ive looked at it. Now its about 10pm and this phone is at 5% ! I would not consider I used it heavy at all today, as I expect to give it heavier use. Is my battery bad or is this what to expect from the droid?
  2. huskur

huskur New Member

it gets better. Mine was the same way when i first got it. After a week it will last the around 36 hours with normal use.
  3. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

I hope it gets better. I got mine yesterday and it runs down really fast
  4. MNTNBKR

MNTNBKR Member

Yeah, mine improved DRASTICALLY over the first week or 10 days.
  5. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

Has your phone updated to 2.0.1 yet? Some have gotten better battery life after the update. Under battery status it will tell you what is taking up your battery life. The display is usually a big drain, so dimming that as much as you feel comfortable (I have mine at the lowest setting) helps a lot.
  6. neemo6

neemo6 New Member

Ya, mine has the update, was saying 37% display, 33% voice calls, and everything else is under 7%. Funny thing is My phone calls for all of today only add up to 33 minutes! Something is wrong with this battery. I really hope it gets alot better.
  7. vonfink13

vonfink13 New Member

8. crspang

crspang New Member

I've had no issues with the battery life. With all the stuff this phone can do it amazes me that the battery lasts two hours much less 48. My wife hasn't charged her DROID since Wed. morning and its only at 40%.
  9. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

my battery is by far better now than the first week i had the phone. Generally what I've found is that first week or two the device is being used a lot more than it will be once you settle into a 'normal usage pattern'. Most of the time the first week or so is spent 'playing' with the device so battery will naturally take a hit.
    Definitely found that once I fell into 'normal usage' my battery life was much improved.
  10. mikecolorama

mikecolorama New Member

my battery life has gotten a lot better since i've had it
  11. MissEvoIXMR

MissEvoIXMR New Member

Mine is pretty horrible after charging my phone all night, i was at 5% by about 130pm I have been trying to redce battery usage by keeping the volume low or on vibrate, turning off hepatic feedback, and diming the screen down.. I also do not run bluetooth unless I'm using it, nor wifi... I have been struggling to get this phone charged all day but it deemd to get down to 15% pretty easy... idk how or why my battery goes so fast. :/
  12. bbtkd

bbtkd Member

The battery in the Droid uses Lithium Ion technology, and requires no conditioning. Early Nicad batteries used thirty years ago required conditioning because they suffered from memory effect and ever since then, the old wives tale is that all rechargeable batteries require conditioning. You can do it, but it's a waste of time. Those that think they are seeing some benefit are deceiving themselves and are instead seeing differences in their usage. I get a kick out of it when I hear VZW techs advising customers to condition, and this is almost as funny as their advising the use of a task killer which unnecessarily circumvents Android memory managment.
  13. neemo6

neemo6 New Member

Well my time with this phone is going on about a week now. The battery still seems to drain extremely fast, especially when using it when talking. I refuse to turn off certain functions that take away from the phone. I upgraded to this phone from a winmo phone, and i would constantly use wifi and bluetooth turned on all day, and it would easily hold a charge 24 hour periods were common. With the droid im extremely lucky to get 10 hours and thats if I didnt play with it for more that 15 minutes. There was a battery life test video, and I am completely astonished to the amount of life he got out of the battery. Screen never turned off, music conitinuously playing, and even used the navigator for an hour drive. There is absolutly no way my battery would last that long. Do I have a bad battery? Or is this typical life on this phone?
  14. mark729

mark729 New Member

yes mine was terrible too for the first week then it got better.
  15. narquam

narquam New Member

This battery issue is very inconsistent between cases. Some people have better battery life since 2.0.1 but others, like me, have seen their battery life drastically cut. I've had this phone for almost two months now and after 2.0.1 happened the phone went from lasting 3 days to 14 hours. I cannot get my phone to last more than 18 hours even with everything off and no calls. Voice calls kill the battery. I used to be able to leave the GPS and wifi on and even various apps running all day yet it would still last at least a full day. Now with all of that running it lasts a matter of hours.
  16. 640k

640k New Member

the hell you say
  17. Zippster

Zippster New Member

The phone is defiitely cutting edge, batterys have yet to catch up is the problem, I spent the day at the hospital yesterday for my wifes surgery and of course to pass time was using my droid the way you would, some web surfing and then watching some videos from online, problem is, even from a full battery I found myself having to shut it down because I was down to like 20% left in probably an hours use.......I need the phone to still be available so had to do like the rest of the sheeple who dont have droids then and just sit and wait. :mad: I guess the option is to bring your power cord and sit near an outlet.
  18. neemo6

neemo6 New Member

I wonder if there is anything to this 2.0.1 update and killing batteries. Like i said I got this phone last weekend so I have no experience w/ 2.0, so I have nothing to compare it to. But voice calls do seem to devour battery life.
  19. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Dimming the screen saves tons of battery life....
  20. Zippster

Zippster New Member

That is one thing I have to set again, had the autodim setting on first release but the constant changing of screen brightness drove me nuts. Wont help with watching videos though. :icon_evil: