Tell me im not crazy...

droidphreak

Reaction score
Ok so heres the story thus far...

I've been torn between the Droid X and the Fascinate for a few weeks now. Ive had a string of "issues" with the X since August (i.e: few replacment phones). I went on tue and picked up my replacement X. After reading this forum I understand there are some issues with the Fascinate such as gps/reception and Bing (wtf Verizon) but the hackability of the phone looks more and more appealing to me. But you can never tell how you will like a phone unless you use it in the real world. So to not create a wall of text I'll endevor to get to the point.

Today I had the idea to activate a second line (well really my 4th wife has 2 lines herself) and talked to a Vzw sales person on the phone and they are sending me a Fascinate for 99 bucks! Now I get to experiment with the device and have the option of returning it for the 30 day worry free if it dosent work out. I dont plan on hacking it unless I decide to keep it. I just want to get some real world experiance with it. I know no matter what I keep, the X or the SF I am going to be hit with a $35 restock. Im ok with since i consider it renting the phone for a month.

Has anyone else ever done this or am I crazy and going to extreams to make sure im happy with my new device? Also if anyone has done this were they able to cancel the line as long as its in the 30 days WFG?

My wife is going to kill me lol.

Last edited:

droid8888

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that. After using them, I liked the Fascinate better than the DX, and the phone isn't locked at all, and Best Buy's Free Phone Friday pushed me to get the Fascinate. Here is my thread on XDA: HOW TO:Root, Install Clockwork, Remove Bloatware, Integrate Google, Un-root, and more - xda-developers

Returning it to stock would be easy, but these steps will show you how amazing the device is. No trace of Bing on mine anymore.

Ok so heres the story thus far...

I've been torn between the Droid X and the Fascinate for a few weeks now. Ive had a string of "issues" with the X since August (i.e: few replacment phones). I went on tue and picked up my replacement X. After reading this forum I understand there are some issues with the Fascinate such as gps/reception and Bing (wtf Verizon) but the hackability of the phone looks more and more appealing to me. But you can never tell how you will like a phone unless you use it in the real world. So to not create a wall of text I'll endevor to get to the point.

Today I had the idea to activate a second line (well really my 4th wife has 2 lines herself) and talked to a Vzw sales person on the phone and they are sending me a Fascinate for 99 bucks! Now I get to experiment with the device and have the option of returning it for the 30 day worry free if it dosent work out. I dont plan on hacking it unless I decide to keep it. I just want to get some real world experiance with it. I know no matter what I keep, the X or the SF I am going to be hit with a $35 restock. Im ok with since i consider it renting the phone for a month.

Has anyone else ever done this or am I crazy and going to extreams to make sure im happy with my new device? Also if anyone has done this were they able to cancel the line as long as its in the 30 days WFG?

My wife is going to kill me lol.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Crazy? Definitely not. Obsessed. Well, look at the user name you chose. :)

OP
droidphreak

droidphreak

Reaction score
If you added a new line, you should have gotten it from amazon for 1 cent.

I assumed that the 1 cent was for brand new lines not just an added line to an existing family plan. Anyone know? If the above poster is correct this is the way to go in the future for device testing/renting.

jrl9851

Reaction score
If you added a new line, you should have gotten it from amazon for 1 cent.

I assumed that the 1 cent was for brand new lines not just an added line to an existing family plan. Anyone know? If the above poster is correct this is the way to go in the future for device testing/renting.

Well I added a line to get the fascinate, but I used wirefly and got it for $30. I didn't know amazon was cheaper at the time, but I believe 1 cent is also if you add a line.

Best thing about amazon/wirefly/letstalk is you still get the 30 day trial period.

sjohn902

Reaction score
To the OP, I did the exact same thing. Dealt with a few replacement DX's, picked up a Fascinate for evaluation on a new line. If you want to know how it ends, you pick the Fascinate and sell the DX to cover the ETF on your old line.

Sent from my Fascinate using Tapatalk

OP
droidphreak

droidphreak

Reaction score
If you want to know how it ends, you pick the Fascinate and sell the DX to cover the ETF on your old line.

Sent from my Fascinate using Tapatalk

And you sir could not of been more right. I returned my X today. The Fascinate was too good to not keep. And not to mention the Mods and rooting that is open to me now. :icon_ banana: