tegra2 hate?

infinity8x3

Reaction score
Ok so the droid 3 came out with a omap and every one thinks there must of been a problem with the nvidia chip because it seemed to be dropped.

Any one have any real documentation on any issues moto found with the tegra2? Any real reasons why they would drop them?

What if it was just a biz decision and TI said they would sell moto there chips cheaper than nvidia? What if nvidia didn't like the way moto was doing things and pulled themselves?

It doesn't make since that there is something so terrible with the tegra2 and that's why they dropped them. I have a DX2 and have no issues with it. And the xoom is googles reference tab and it is tegra2 also.

Last edited:

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
TI is better in my experience. I had the X2 and I can tell you the D3 is much better. I heard that the Tegra simply wasn't performing the way they were expecting. Apparently the Bionic was going to have a tegra in the initial build but are now using the same as the D3.

OP
I

infinity8x3

Reaction score
I heard that the Tegra simply wasn't performing the way they were expecting.
This. This is what I'm looking for. documentation. No offense but i herd android sucks... But that doesn't make it true.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
But I can tell you....again...the D3 feels much faster and smoother to me than the X2 did. Not that the X2 sucks....just saying the D3 feels much quicker. You also have to remember that I had the X2 when it only had 2.2.2.

OP
I

infinity8x3

Reaction score
I can agree that the TI omap in the d3 is snappier then the x2. But D3>DX2>D2>DX>D1 there is a pattern each new phone that comes out is subsequently faster than the previous phone. So it's almost expected that the D3 is faster than the DX2. Following this logic the bionic should be faster than the D3.

Sorry for the paragraph but I still don't have any evidence of whats wrong with the tegra2.

tonydelite

Reaction score
The Tegra 2 lacks a couple key features that the OMAP 4430 has:

-Support for NEON instructions, which increases floating point operations quite a bit. This is useful for multimedia performance, like Flash.

-The OMAP4 has a PowerVR SGX540 GPU, which is faster than nVidia's offering.

-The OMAP4 has a dual channel memory controller, Tegra 2 is single channel.

There are quite a few other minor differences as well that all add up to a better overall package. I don't know if the Tegra has any "problems" per se, but the OMAP4 seems to be a better overall chip. There is not one place the Tegra 2 excels over the OMAP4

Wongway

Reaction score
I'll also add that in practice, the DX2 is simply not as good at multitasking. Sadly, my Motorola Original Droid phone could handle playing music without skipping and/or stuttering better than my DX2. Even after the gingerbread update (which has helped), it is only about as good as when I had Froyo coupled with the supercharger script.

OGDroid had less memory, and a clearly inferior processor, but could handle tasks better?!

If the Tegra2 is really a better system, then clearly manufacturers do not know how to program for it... however, I was always under the impression they were designing these chips to run a common system(Android)...

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
The multitasking comes down to the better memory management with the OMAP over the Tegra2. I would say the Tegra is a better processor for tablet than phones. Its got fewer constraints with the tablet than a much smaller phone. Plus TI's been doing this alot longer. I think they know how to make good chips for smaller devices.

end of line...

Wongway

Reaction score
..I would say the Tegra is a better processor for tablet than phones. Its got fewer constraints with the tablet than a much smaller phone. Plus TI's been doing this alot longer. I think they know how to make good chips for smaller devices.

end of line...

I'm not sure this is a valid line of thinking...
At their most basic level, tablets and phones use and consume data the same way. In reality, they should suffer a hit running tablets due to having to push more pixels than a phone.

My personal theory is that manufacturers simply do not know how to utilize the Tegra2, in the same manner that console games get better later in the hardware life of the machines due to increased familiarity with how to best squeeze max performance from the hardware.

Since April, we've been reading how Tegra2 products have been delayed till late summer(now)... we're only now seeing the Galaxy Tab how many months after the Xoom (which still does not have it's 4g upgrade yet?)

Quite a few DX2 owners would agree that the product felt rushed with froyo... so far it seems better with gingerbread, but still not ideal.

Realistic

Reaction score
its justified hate, I have a samsung tab 10.1 wifi and while I really like it it cannot play good hd videos without conversion to reduce the quality. Anyone who wants a tablet to play videos with should wait for tegra3 tablets or at least ones that actually have the neon instruction set, aka everything not tegra2 powered.