Tegra 3 May Show Up at MWC

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nvidia-played-logo.jpg

With CES just behind us, and all the amazing new Tegra 2 dual-core phones just around the corner, you would think that we could have some 'breather room' from new tech announcements, at least for a little while. Fortunately, that is not the case. Rumors indicate that Nvidia is very likely to announce their Tegra 3 line of mobile processors at MWC just next month! In fact, during CES, NVIDIA’s Michael Rayfield, the General Manager for Mobile Business Unit, said, “We have to continue to do more with less power. When my next generation of Tegra comes out, it will do everything that Tegra 2 does and I’ll have more headroom. So I will continue to push that.” He also indicated that the next Tegra 3 announcement would be “pretty quick…probably before my competitors have their dual-core in production.” In fact, Nvidia plans to unveil Tegra 4 within a year. How's that for getting a jump on the competition? The Tegra 4 is said to be a quad-core mobile phone chip. Logical speculation is that the Tegra 3 line will simply be an enhanced and more efficient version of the Tegra 2 line, although it is possible that they will be triple-core chips. Let the speculating race begin!

Source: AndroidAndMe

Last edited:
B

bigsapz

Don't tell me this. I just got over the idea of T2 chips in smartphones...lol. How the phone wouldn't melt in ur hand blows my mind.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Interesting....maybe Tegra4 will be a true dual-core cpu and integrated graphics chip. And since I assume the capability with ram is already there, these phones can have all the power needed to be a true laptop/tablet replacement. But we really need some advancements on the battery front. And the OS isn't there yet, either, but imagine it will be in a year or two.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
This is why theres no point in waiting for the latest and greatest phone because you will never get one. I think NVidia is shooting itself in the foot with this one. It may hurt sales of the Tegra2 phones to know that T3 phones are right around the corner and T4 in less than a year.

The only reason I would worry about this is if your phone is more of a portable gaming device then a phone. Yes, all phones can play games, but do you play games the majority of the time or use it for phone uses.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Those of us into upgrading PC parts, custom building PC's should be used to this by now. Thats why all these Android phones coming out left n right doesnt phase me.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, maybe custom made or made-to-order phones are just around the corner.:icon_ banana:

A good dual-core with 1gig of ram is what I'm looking for. In terms of what I need to do on a phone, the D1 is arguably just fine. In terms of what I might want to do on a smartphone in the near future I think what's coming in a few months should be just fine. At some point (sooner rather than later) it becomes overkill and a phone is perfectly capable but maybe just a little slower. LTE is the technological leap here - apps and the OS haven't made even the stock D1 truly obsolete yet. Obsolescence gets thrown around liberally, and incorrectly. Now when Vista came out, that DID make some older PC's obsolete because they didn't have the hardware to run it, but actually those PC's continued to work just fine because other than security concerns there's really not a need to upgrade the OS.

Then in 18-24 months the truly beastly laptop/tablet replacement cells should be out in force.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^And then when Tegra 4 comes next year around the summer....lol

At some point we gotta say ok, this is what I want, forget whats coming out in 6 months. With that said.....I may wait til Tegra 3 comes out too...LOL!!

If anything the 2nd gen Tegra's should be better than 1st gen. And maybe by then we will get more info about other dual core chips from Samsung, T.I, Qualcomm coming out. I personally wanna see what the other dual core chips can do compared to Tegra 2. I got a feeling battery life might be better with the other chips.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, maybe custom made or made-to-order phones are just around the corner.:icon_ banana:

A good dual-core with 1gig of ram is what I'm looking for. In terms of what I need to do on a phone, the D1 is arguably just fine. In terms of what I might want to do on a smartphone in the near future I think what's coming in a few months should be just fine. At some point (sooner rather than later) it becomes overkill and a phone is perfectly capable but maybe just a little slower. LTE is the technological leap here - apps and the OS haven't made even the stock D1 truly obsolete yet. Obsolescence gets thrown around liberally, and incorrectly. Now when Vista came out, that DID make some older PC's obsolete because they didn't have the hardware to run it, but actually those PC's continued to work just fine because other than security concerns there's really not a need to upgrade the OS.

Then in 18-24 months the truly beastly laptop/tablet replacement cells should be out in force.
It would be amazing if we could make our own custom phones. Id have at least a grand into the thing.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Maybe I'll get a Tegra 3 in November instead of a Tegra 2 :D

That's what I'm thinking here, these first generation Tegra 2 probably won't run nearly as efficient as the next way of processors like the Tegra 3. The same can be said about the Tegra 4 not running as effiently as the next generation of Tegra or equivalent processors. First generation technological leaps in my opinion generally don't measure up to expectations.

My biggest concern is battery life and these phones carrying 1900+ battery due to the the dual core processor as well as LTE service aren't making me feel any better.

StevieJ

Reaction score
Wow... Looks like I might be keeping my Droid a little longer than I had expected.

brando56894

Reaction score
Maybe I'll get a Tegra 3 in November instead of a Tegra 2 :D

That's what I'm thinking here, these first generation Tegra 2 probably won't run nearly as efficient as the next way of processors like the Tegra 3. The same can be said about the Tegra 4 not running as effiently as the next generation of Tegra or equivalent processors. First generation technological leaps in my opinion generally don't measure up to expectations.

My biggest concern is battery life and these phones carrying 1900+ battery due to the the dual core processor as well as LTE service aren't making me feel any better.

The more one thinks about it it may be better to hold off on the T2s for a few months. As people mentioned before a lot of the software wont be able to take advantage of both of the cores for a little while and its a brand new technology so of course its going to be slightly buggy.