Technology meltdown.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A little venting cuz I need it.... lol

2 weeks ago my PC left this world for a better place.

Processor was old, mb was old, ram was still DDR. So I bought a new processor, mb, and some new ram. All would be well, right?

Wrong... turns out my hard drive I bought about 9 months ago has errors on it... so bye bye data.This kills me, as I have been collecting music for 14 years... and its gone.

I've lost data before on my PC but this sucks.... Bad enough I've been reduced to Droid only web surfing for 2 weeks (though I do love the web on Droid), now I've lost my HD contents. (because it was a new drive I hadn't bought a backup drive yet... thought Id be ok) *mistake*

I'm so disgusted I almost wanna return all my new parts and sell off my remaining PC gear.... no more computer.

And to top it off, my Xbox 360 gets the rrod a week after my PC dies (I know how to fix it, just salt in the wound)

Needless to say, my cereal hasn't been too good the past weeks because someone keeps sh*tting in it.

Thanks for listening.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When it rains it pours. Bummer about both the computer and RROD. Hopefully things start looking up there Martin.

TimChgo9

Reaction score
That sucks. HD crashes, and computer issues can ruin your day.

A photographer friend of mine had her HD crash, and she lost nearly 5,000 photos.

I haven't lost any data yet, but I am sure I will soon. I have 3 computers all over 5 years old, and I am just waiting for one of them to completely crash on me. I am a photographer in my spare time, and one of my computers holds nearly 4,000 photos, and they haven't been backed up yet....

14 years worth of music? Ouch.....

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's the downside to us being all digital. We've got digital pics going back a while now. It's on two drives though. One big magnet and its all gone. Bummer about your luck with all things electronic. It get discouraging sometimes, but then the sun comes out and it gets better.

OP
Martin030908

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
christim, I like the green rescue squad tag.

yea I forgot, lost all my pictures from the years too. lol

I just need my machine back... tech withdrawals for me.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Thanks. Someone either toned it down or I got used to it. At first it was awfully bright! :)

If the drive is that important....things probably can still be recoverable. Music I can come by again. Pics...that's a tough one.

The Whaler tag...you in New England? I'm not a big sports fan, but that looks familiar.

th9203

Reaction score
Little or no sympathy.

C'mon guys - if you have been collecting digital for so many years you MUST know better than to leave yourselves exposed like this. :icon_ devil:

Terabyte drives are cheap now and backups are just too easy to turn on and walk away from. :icon_ banana:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Martin, sorry about this disaster. When I worked at Penn State we supporting several thousand users and thankfully we had a minimum of crashes. As one might expect, we had users that would not follow the policies and procedures for backing up their data. We did have instances of damaged hard that data had to be retrieved.

Not sure what your budget is but there are several reputable companies that can retrieve your data. Here is a link from Google search (companies that retrieve data from damaged hard drives - Google Search)

Mike

OP
Martin030908

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As an update, I did manage to get most (not all) of my data onto another HD. So a productive day.
I just started the thread to vent as I know I wasn't the only one to lose my HD. lol!
And I picked up a second HD today, won't be caught like this again.

Thanks. Someone either toned it down or I got used to it. At first it was awfully bright! :)

If the drive is that important....things probably can still be recoverable. Music I can come by again. Pics...that's a tough one.

The Whaler tag...you in New England? I'm not a big sports fan, but that looks familiar.
Yea in New England. Hartford Whalers... tho I'm in mass.
I did manage to recover some if not most.
music I agree, just a downer at the time. lol
I did get all pics back tho!
C'mon guys - if you have been collecting digital for so many years you MUST know better than to leave yourselves exposed like this. :icon_ devil:

Terabyte drives are cheap now and backups are just too easy to turn on and walk away from. :icon_ banana:
I agree. I didn't want sympathy, just wanted to vent! But I knew better... and I've got two HDs now.
Martin, sorry about this disaster. When I worked at Penn State we supporting several thousand users and thankfully we had a minimum of crashes. As one might expect, we had users that would not follow the policies and procedures for backing up their data. We did have instances of damaged hard that data had to be retrieved.

Not sure what your budget is but there are several reputable companies that can retrieve your data. Here is a link from Google search (companies that retrieve data from damaged hard drives - Google Search)

Mike

Thanks for the link! I did manage to get a majority of my stuff copied over to another HD however!

shmoo

Reaction score
I had my HD crash not too long ago. I did a google search and found some software that was able to let me access the drive and pull a good portion of my info off and put onto another that I had. Mish be worth looking for. Just my .02 sorry to hear about the crash bud.

Reaction score
I had my HD crash not too long ago. I did a google search and found some software that was able to let me access the drive and pull a good portion of my info off and put onto another that I had. Mish be worth looking for. Just my .02 sorry to hear about the crash bud.

Can you point the way to what you used, Please?

OP
Martin030908

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Had a buddy of mine manage to get all my data off my HD! Ran SeaTools and had 99 errors.

Just got my PC back tonight, got a lot of setting up to do with the new machine. Quad-Core processor is fast! Loving it!

I'll be back alive in the forums in no time! :icon_ banana:

M

Matth3w

Too late now Martin but my suggestion is to do what I do...I have three hard drives totaling about 2TB running in RAID0 for redundancy purposes. I have another 1TB hard drive that copies all of my movies, music, etc on a nightly basis via Windows scheduler and a .bat file I wrote.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I already spoke to Martin via PM.

Although I use 2 1TB drives, one as backup, that doesnt mean your backup drives cannot develop issues either. :)

Hence a mirroring RAID is an ideal solution, one I'm afraid I havent yet implemented hehehe.

Glad you are liking your new rig, darn I think I've now had my core i7 rig for a year, have to check, been running great!

For those that wish to know what you'll go through, go here:

http://gizmodo.com/5496792/the-five-stages-of-data-loss-grief

Once you pass through, it's no big deal, unless you had a copy of the 2.1 OTA update.zip on the drive, then I'd have to kill you.