Tech of the 80's

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by pc747, Apr 18, 2016.

1. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +6,160
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +7,594
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Droid Z Force
    I was definitely around in the 80's...those were my young teenage years. Out of that list, I remember how excited we were for a new VHS VCR player (that was a big deal), I had a Sony Walkman (and later a Discman), we had a Nintendo and a mini-cassette tape answering machine. My favorite had to be the Boombox though. I remember how cool my brother and I thought we were when we each got one for Christmas in the early 80's. We couldn't wait for the weather to warm up above freezing to take them outside and show them off! Cool post @pc747 , brings back a lot of memories. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. leeshor

leeshor Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,676
    I used pretty much all of that "stuff". Used a pager well beyond when I should have still been using it. I did the same with WordStar. In fact I skipped using WordPerfect and went from WordStar straight to Word. I did have plenty of customers using WP and 123.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +6,160
    For some reason I thought you were meaning to say Worldstar, lol. I then saw Word Perfect and realized my mistake.

5. leeshor

leeshor Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,676
    When I first started using WordStar it was one 5 1/4" hard sector disk for the program and 1 for the data. They weren't all that floppy. ;) It was way ahead of its time.

• Like Like x 3
  6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +941
    Sony Walkman was probably the coolest thing for me. Listening to my own music, traveling for sports, was the best.

Commodore 64 games were pretty sweet, too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    Wireless remotes changed the world. Yeah all those gadgets and personal products were cool and all that but wireless changed it all. We no longer were satisfied with "contractual obligation" songs on cds because we didn't want to get up. No longer were we enslaved to the tv commercial, be it live or vhs. When the family got too loud in the next room wireless remotes stopped millions of yelling matches from the tv room at those in the other room. Just turn up the volume. How many an argument between spouses have been avoided because the man can quickly hit mute or turn off the media when the wife enters the room with that "you never listen to me" look only to become happy at the silence and undivided attention look of said male. Sorry dudes, the wireless remote didn't solve our being distracted when she's speaking by thinking about our favorite sport or "wish she'd hurry and and leave so I can catch the rest of the game" that we inevitably do because we really don't listen very well.

Support Our Troops!!!
    Beast Mode 4
    <><

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator

Ratings:
    +8,437
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Too fun! I was born in '85, but we weren't what you'd call "well-off," so we hung on to things. I've personally used several of the items on this list. Happy to be able to say that.

I actually had a nostalgic trip when we went home for Thanksgiving. One evening, my sister and I got talking about the "Feature Films for Families" that we used to get in the mail. One in particular made us really want to try and watch it for old times sake. It wouldn't play, so I took the cassette apart and investigated. Couldn't find anything wrong with it, but I found another tape that worked, so I took the guts out of them and swapped them. Voila! We got to watch the old movie from our childhood. I only found out towards the end of the movie that she and her friend used to make fun of this movie, while I really liked it. Still, a fun time with family and walking down memory lane.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,072
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    I had or used almost all of those. We didn't have a camcorder though. The Beta we had worked until I fed it a pb&J sandwich. Rocked my Sony walkman like a Boss. I still own my Nintendo, super nes and original playstation. I have a game gear around here somewhere too.

and 1985? God I feel old.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  10. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator

Ratings:
    +8,437
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    We didn't get Nintendo until the SNES. Until we got that, there was only a small TV in the kitchen & another in the basement living room. Upstairs living room was for visiting. Haha!

We had smaller camcorders but I remember my dad making a video for my grandpa's birthday where he rented or borrowed one of those huge ones & got all sorts of footage of the family.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

11. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,072
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    I had a 13" black and white rabbit ear tv that I could use. It had one of the channel 3 to channel 4 switches on it. We could only play once all the chores were done(horses fed, grained, stalls cleaned, etc). I didn't get to play much.

• Like Like x 2
  12. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +941
    Kids today will never know what it was to be dad's "human remote control"

• Like Like x 2