Tech New Year's Resolutions

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
new-years-resolution-list.jpg

In a few days we will be hearing from people the things they want to do different for the new year, whether it be eat right, go to the gym more, save more money, etc. But this thread is directed to manufacturers, tech companies, and wireless carriers. What do you want to see these tech companies change for the new year?

Whether it be cable companies, carriers, manufacturers, etc, post below.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I'd love to see fair and competitive pricing in the mobile market, with actual advancements to the existing hardware that aren't outdated upon deployment. Pipe dream, I know. Perhaps someday.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Stop data caps and go back to unlimited. Its just greed and frankly, it needs to stop.
I'd even settle for a cheaper "pay for what you use"/rollover data plan. I use more than 4 regularly, so I had to jump up to the 6GB plan. I waste over a GB of data each month. If my wifi at home wasn't so good, I'd use like 30GB/month, but I get double the speeds at home.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I too want carriers to charge for what we use vs a blanket range.

But I don't expect carrier prices to get cheaper and here is why. Yes companies like boost and Google can get away with charging what they do because they rent space versus having to maintain their own towers. Also carriers like Verizon and att provide customer support essentially around the clock where as boost may have a cut off point. The extras plus them having a larger labor force of techs, salesmen, and maintenance drives the cost of the service. Profits=growth=jobs=happy employees.
I hear the same from people wanting cheaper airline tickets to which I say the aircraft cost money and keeping it safe for flights cost money. Why should we expect a mechanic, who if they make a mistake could kill everyone, to do their job 24/7/365 in all weather for the same amount as what walmart pays their employees?
If carriers say the cost of doing business is x then we can either support that cost or go support another carrier.

Now having said all that I agree with the above posts as carriers do need to improve at allowing us to pay for what we use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I too want carriers to charge for what we use vs a blanket range.

But I don't expect carrier prices to get cheaper and here is why. Yes companies like boost and Google can get away with charging what they do because they rent space versus having to maintain their own towers. Also carriers like Verizon and att provide customer support essentially around the clock where as boost may have a cut off point. The extras plus them having a larger labor force of techs, salesmen, and maintenance drives the cost of the service. Profits=growth=jobs=happy employees.
I hear the same from people wanting cheaper airline tickets to which I say the aircraft cost money and keeping it safe for flights cost money. Why should we expect a mechanic, who if they make a mistake could kill everyone, to do their job 24/7/365 in all weather for the same amount as what walmart pays their employees?
If carriers say the cost of doing business is x then we can either support that cost or go support another carrier.

Now having said all that I agree with the above posts as carriers do need to improve at allowing us to pay for what we use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
I thought Boost was owned by Sprint and only used their network? I know straighttalk uses either ATT or VZW.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I'd love to see fair and competitive pricing in the mobile market, with actual advancements to the existing hardware that aren't outdated upon deployment. Pipe dream, I know. Perhaps someday.
It's only "outdated" because manufacturers and their advertising makes you THINK it's outdated. A 2 year old smartphone works just as well as a recently released smartphone. They work on the same 4G network and do exactly what the latest smartphones do. So what exactly is outdated? It's all about perception.....and a little smoke & mirrors. It's one of the main reasons smartphone sales have steadily declined over the past two years. People (other than those that must have the latest and greatest every 6 months) are hanging onto their devices longer because they work just as well as a newer device. (Albeit a tiny bit slower in most cases)

S5 tap'n

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
It's only "outdated" because manufacturers and their advertising makes you THINK it's outdated. A 2 year old smartphone works just as well as a recently released smartphone. They work on the same 4G network and do exactly what the latest smartphones do. So what exactly is outdated? It's all about perception.....and a little smoke & mirrors. It's one of the main reasons smartphone sales have steadily declined over the past two years. People (other than those that must have the latest and greatest every 6 months) are hanging onto their devices longer because they work just as well as a newer device. (Albeit a tiny bit slower in most cases)

S5 tap'n
That was a post about the carriers and their networks, not about smart phones. I still have my LG G2...