Tech armor screen protectors. An exercise in frustration

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
How on earth are you supposed to get rid of the damned bubbles? Yes I followed the instructions. I'm ready to take it off and go bare.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
How on earth are you supposed to get rid of the damned bubbles? Yes I followed the instructions. I'm ready to take it off and go bare.

Practice.

I can install either the PET (stiff screen protector) or the Urethane protectors in about 5 minutes.

For the PET protectors, I use screen cleaner to wet and allow me to move the protector.
I put a drop on the device and spray the contact side of the protector. I then use a microfiber cloth wrapped credit card to get rid of bubbles.
If there is any dust, I lift the edge with tape and slide a piece underneath to pick up the dust. Only use scotch invisible tape (the cloudy looing stuff, matte on the back).

For the urethane protectors, I remove the adhesive protector and drop them in a bowl of soapy water.
I then while wet (remove battery from phone), place it on the screen and position it.
Once I have it in place, I put my thumb in the middle and carefully squeegee one half then the other. I use a hair dryer on low to heat it up a bit to make it stick.

Done,

Works everytime.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I know it's supposed to be a dry application, but try a little windex. I did that with the first time I applied it, and it turned out just as good as the 2nd screen protector I've used that was applied on dry. Much easier to get rid of bubbles.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I wound up going to Best Buy and they recommended a Zagg protector which I had THEM put on. They sprayed it wet and it came out great. No bubbles and no dust.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I wound up going to Best Buy and they recommended a Zagg protector which I had THEM put on. They sprayed it wet and it came out great. No bubbles and no dust.
is there still that "orange peel" effect and the rainbow under the screen protector? I had Zagg on my OG Droid and couldn't stand it after a few days. I did hear it got better though.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Right after they put it on I saw tiny little ripples but after a few hours, they're gone and it seems perfectly smooth now. No ripples, no waves or bumps.

bbtkd

Reaction score
Right after they put it on I saw tiny little ripples but after a few hours, they're gone and it seems perfectly smooth now. No ripples, no waves or bumps.

Bareback is best, unless you carry it in your pocket with sand, or wear diamond earing(s). Gorilla Glass III FTW.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
You're probably right. But I figured an extra layer of protection for twenty bucks couldn't hurt. But the only place that phone goes if I'm not holding it is in my shirt pocket.

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
I had guru at Best Buy put the screen saver on - It's the soft urethane clear-
It seems to pick up impression marks of finger nail to what ever- but not a big deal.
Done pretty much like Tech - Head demo has.

bbtkd

Reaction score
I had guru at Best Buy put the screen saver on - It's the soft urethane clear-
It seems to pick up impression marks of finger nail to what ever- but not a big deal.
Done pretty much like Tech - Head demo has.

Sorry, but Best Buy has no gurus. They can't afford one.

MotoXGirl

Reaction score
I always get screen protectors at Verizon. There they will put them on for you and they always look perfect. Im glad 2, my Moto X would have a huge scratch in it already if I hadn't of. Licky me!

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

I should've done that when I got one for the OG Droid. It was on the phone maybe 20 seconds and when I tried to adjust it it flipped off and fell on the floor. I just gave up at that point. The people at Verizon put the protector on when I got the S4.