Teathering with the Droid

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have heard that the Droid can be used with the PC as a 3G WiFi connection. I currently have a Verizon pcmcia wifi card that I'd like ditch if there is a way to use the Droid.

I just got my Droid (Motorola) and haven't played with it too much yet, but assume it requires a USB connection and an app to accomplish this.

Anyone know how this is done?

Thanks to all who reply,
Ray

Yes, you can ditch your pcmcia card and use PDAnet (without rooting) or other options to replace that functionality. You can use either a usb connection or (if rooted, I believe) a bluetooth wireless connection.

If you check this forum you will many endless threads regarding whether this is a violation of your contract with Verizon (it is) and whether you are likely to be "caught" for having done so. (Unlikely unless you download massive amounts of data using the 3G connection.)

The free version of PDAnet enables you to connect to non-secure sites; the paid version enables access to secure (i.e. https) sites. I have little use for the feature since I, too, have a broadband access plan with Verizon tied to a netbook. But I've tried the PDAnet (free) version and it works fine. Of course, a good Wifi connection is usually faster and doesn't raise issues of violating one's contract.

mills

Reaction score
One suggestion, although I am sure there are others..

PDAnet by junefabrics can do this. It works well, and can even work via bluetooth. I don't remember the cost of the app though.

Another one:
Easy Tether, cheaper than PDANet
EasyTether Lite - Android app on AppBrain
Stupid question, do I plug my phone into the PC that has the connection. Or do I plug it into the machine that I need to connect via the application?

OP
R

Ray_L

Reaction score
Everyone,

I think this thread is about played out by now, so I decided to leave my results to provide a bit of closure. First off, I learned a lot from all the posts - thanks!. In the end I downloaded EasyTether lite by Mobile Stream. Simple to install (very similar to the YouTube link posted on this thread). And yes, by the time I did this, the free version works for https as well.

Thanks for all the posts!
RayL