Teathering with the Droid

Discussion in 'Android Applications Discussions' started by Ray_L, Apr 26, 2010.

1. MikeDroid

MikeDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    EasyTether now does secure sites for free... on their free version, hence you can get to HTTPS sites with no problem. It was fixed with an update yesterday. They figured out their app (PDA is useless unless you are willing to pay..) re: looking at things such as yahoo mail.. for even yahoo mail kicks off a quick HTTPS session before you are taken to your email page. For my money .. easytether is free(!), seems like the best solution.

Why would you pay for a tether app?

2. stlcity

stlcity Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What drivers? Motorola USB drivers? I use wireless tether all the time. Dint realise that CM had usb tethering tooo....hmmmm

3. gardobus

gardobus Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    USB tethering seems faster to me, and I can use it on my desktop that doesn't have wifi. In XP, you have to install some "Internet Sharing Device" drivers that come stock in W7/Vista.

4. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, you can ditch your pcmcia card and use PDAnet (without rooting) or other options to replace that functionality. You can use either a usb connection or (if rooted, I believe) a bluetooth wireless connection.

If you check this forum you will many endless threads regarding whether this is a violation of your contract with Verizon (it is) and whether you are likely to be "caught" for having done so. (Unlikely unless you download massive amounts of data using the 3G connection.)

The free version of PDAnet enables you to connect to non-secure sites; the paid version enables access to secure (i.e. https) sites. I have little use for the feature since I, too, have a broadband access plan with Verizon tied to a netbook. But I've tried the PDAnet (free) version and it works fine. Of course, a good Wifi connection is usually faster and doesn't raise issues of violating one's contract.

5. mills

mills Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Stupid question, do I plug my phone into the PC that has the connection. Or do I plug it into the machine that I need to connect via the application?

6. Ray_L

Ray_L New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Everyone,

I think this thread is about played out by now, so I decided to leave my results to provide a bit of closure. First off, I learned a lot from all the posts - thanks!. In the end I downloaded EasyTether lite by Mobile Stream. Simple to install (very similar to the YouTube link posted on this thread). And yes, by the time I did this, the free version works for https as well.

Thanks for all the posts!
    RayL

Search tags for this page
cyanogenmod usb tether violation
install tetherxp.inf
june fabrics android tetherxp
mobile-stream.com/easyteather/drivers
mobile-stream.com easytether/drivers

mobile-stream.com/easytether/drivers

tetherxp.inf does not work
tetherxp.inf install
tetherxp.inf motorola