Teathering with the Droid

Ray_L

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have heard that the Droid can be used with the PC as a 3G WiFi connection. I currently have a Verizon pcmcia wifi card that I'd like ditch if there is a way to use the Droid.

I just got my Droid (Motorola) and haven't played with it too much yet, but assume it requires a USB connection and an app to accomplish this.

Anyone know how this is done?

Thanks to all who reply,
Ray

elgordo123

Reaction score
I've been using PDA net for years (since my winmo phone) and they are great. They have an Android version that is free - but you wont be able to access secure websites. They have a special going on right now for the full version $18.95.
It is worth every penny. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to use when you are out on the road or in a hotel (with their crap wifi).

BTW - I'll pre-respond to the next post that is sure to follow "I rooted my droid and use wireless tether for free..." <-- Good for you.
:icon_ banana:

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
And if you don't mind rooting/flashing a custom ROM, CyanogenMod supports USB tethering with NO apps. You just install the drivers on XP (Vista/W7 has them included) and all you do is plug your phone in and your computer will get online.

To do wifi tethering you download an app and install it (on supporting ROMs) and your good to go.

So if you want to root you can have wired and wireless tethering for free. If you don't want to then you are stuck with wired and have to pay for PDA Net to access https.

OP
R

Ray_L

Reaction score
Okay, I did mention being new the Droid, right? New to the point that "I rooted my droid" sounds like an off topic plant grafting tip rather than something related to a phone :-0. So, what the heck is that about? Is it painful?

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hah. Painful no. Rooting lets you install a custom operating system on your phone (a ROM). These can have custom themes, overclocked kernels (phone runs faster), tethering, tweaked settings, new features, etc.

You can find more info on that by searching the forum or checking out sites like:

About | Root Your Droid

Coots

Reaction score
Here is a great video that will help you along the way, it sure helped me.

[video=youtube;I5qtVP8qng4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5qtVP8qng4&playnext_from=TL&videos=aac1zVRUkIU]YouTube - Droid 101 - Tethering[/video]

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm rooted (hacked) which enables me to tether to my Mac Book Pro. On a recent trip to Charlotte NC, I tethered the two and while my wife was driving I was able to use my Mac Book for hours. Very nice and smooth.

Spend some time getting to know the phone then begin reading the threads on hacking, themes, etc. If you have a question post it and someone will help.

Mike

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wonder if this built-in usb tether on CM can be used on a mac. Hmm.. time to investigate...

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder if this built-in usb tether on CM can be used on a mac. Hmm.. time to investigate...

I imagine it will work just fine. So far, the only thing I've not been able to do with my Mac is use RSD to root. That limitation is due to Motorola not thinking and only releasing RSD for on platform.

Let us know how you make out.

Mike

Sanjita

Reaction score
Hi Ray,

I use EasyTether lite by Mobile Stream, to use my cell phone to access my wifi for my sons' computer in his bedroom.

The directions are easy to follow.

Off the top of my head you get the app from the market then run the program on your computer.

I hope this helps.
Sanji

Phreaker47

Reaction score
I loved having PDANet back in the days of using Windows Mobile.

With the Droid however, I do recommend reading up on rooting and getting it done so you can make your phone into a wireless access point.

I used the method to flash SPRecovery to my stock 2.1 firmware and gain root/su access. From there I installed one of Chevy01's kernels (theres a thread here containing links to them) that allows overclocking and wireless tethering. Finally, I installed "Wireless Tether for Root Users". Everything you need to know to do all this is in these forums.

All of this is free.

Having your Droid function as a wireless access point is the ultimate way to tether, because it is universal: no need for drivers/software on your PC or Mac... all you need is a Wifi Card since the phone simply acts as a wireless AP. You connect to it just as you would your home router or other hotspot.

Last edited:

MikeDroid

Reaction score
EasyTether now does secure sites for free... on their free version, hence you can get to HTTPS sites with no problem. It was fixed with an update yesterday. They figured out their app (PDA is useless unless you are willing to pay..) re: looking at things such as yahoo mail.. for even yahoo mail kicks off a quick HTTPS session before you are taken to your email page. For my money .. easytether is free(!), seems like the best solution.

Why would you pay for a tether app?

stlcity

Reaction score
And if you don't mind rooting/flashing a custom ROM, CyanogenMod supports USB tethering with NO apps. You just install the drivers on XP (Vista/W7 has them included) and all you do is plug your phone in and your computer will get online.

To do wifi tethering you download an app and install it (on supporting ROMs) and your good to go.

So if you want to root you can have wired and wireless tethering for free. If you don't want to then you are stuck with wired and have to pay for PDA Net to access https.

What drivers? Motorola USB drivers? I use wireless tether all the time. Dint realise that CM had usb tethering tooo....hmmmm

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score

What drivers? Motorola USB drivers? I use wireless tether all the time. Dint realise that CM had usb tethering tooo....hmmmm
USB tethering seems faster to me, and I can use it on my desktop that doesn't have wifi. In XP, you have to install some "Internet Sharing Device" drivers that come stock in W7/Vista.