Teathering with proxoid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by clwither, Nov 16, 2009.

1. clwither

clwither Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

Im new to the forum and I figured what way to make my mark besides telling you guys about an APP i discovered for tethering called proxoid.
    It seems to look pretty promising especially considering the claim that it makes where you can actually tether your phone without having to root it.

It claims to use the USB debugging mode on the phone along with the phones drivers. I know that was "very" insightful, but just like you right now im pretty brand new to this app. I figured id just spread the word. I will be attempting to use my phone to make a successful connection to the internet later tonight and will respond later with my findings and a writeup.

proxoid - Project Hosting on Google Code

The usb driver on the website above did not work for me so i found this ->http://www.smilepak.com/temp/Droid_USB_Driver.zip

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  2. clwither

clwither Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys!!! GOOOD NEWS!!! IT WORKS!!! HAHA

Ok so here are the steps.
    Downloads:
    1) Use the website above proxoid - Project Hosting on Google Code to download the appropriate adb for your opperating system
    2) Download the SDK developers pack from Download the Android SDK | Android Developers
    3) Download Proxoid from the Android Market on your Droid

Installation:
    1) Turn on USB Debugging on the phone
    2) Your computer may or may not have come up with a message saying that it cannot install a driver, thats cool thats what the SDK is for =).
    3) Map the driver
    right click my comp>manage>device manager> right click the A855 and select update driver software.

This should give you a prompt and you want to manually select the driver. Make sure at this point you have extracted the files from both downloads. You should browse to the location of the SDK pack (android-sdk_r3-windows.zip) that you extracted earlier and click ok.

At this point windows should b*tch about the driver not being certified so just click ok.

4) Within the ADB proxoid-adb*.zip that you downloaded earlier, make sure that you have extracted the files before continuing...

Within the second proxoid-adb64 folder there should be a total of four actual files. Take the Check.bat and start-tunnel.bat and place them in the tools folder of the SDK pack.

Run check.bat, if you see a device listed your good. Run start-tunneling.bat

5) Start what ever browser that your using, enable proxy server. server should be localhost and port 8080 is what proxoid uses by default

I used information from proxoid - Project Hosting on Google Code to create this installation guide and of course im not responsible if you F up!!!

WE GOT TETHERING GUYS!!!!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  3. mach330

mach330 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    might be a stupid question...

do we get charge for this or won't verizon know this and we have to pay extra?

4. EntropikOne

EntropikOne Member

Ratings:
    +0
    this doesnt cost anything, if you own the droid then you already have a dataplan so its fine...this exact topic is discussed a LOT, lil round here lil round google and everywhere....so i'll just say no, no it doesnt cost anything and no verizon wont say anything

5. otterdude

otterdude New Member

Ratings:
    +0

SUHWEET!! Thanks Brah!!

6. MooseStuff

MooseStuff New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    wouldnt be doing any heavy downloading or torrent use. wouldnt tether to download like ubuntu or something. then they might do something. and thats a very very big maybe

7. sian0120

sian0120 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    it works just great!! thanks dude!

8. brucehvn

brucehvn New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There's another free app called Tetherbot, which also lets you setup a SOCKS proxy using the phone. It also lets you setup a secure tunnel to a particular address. I looked at both and installed Tetherbot over Proxoid, but I haven't tried it out yet with my laptop just to make sure everything is working. It's pretty much perfect for me because I use tethering very little. Just in case I lose my internet temporarily or if I'm in a location without internet.

9. joscon

joscon Member

Ratings:
    +18
  10. clwither

clwither Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No problem at all. Glad I could help

11. clwither

clwither Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll have to check that out as well. What does it require without me googling. I'm already in class trying to pay attention

12. CharmPeddler

CharmPeddler Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome, thanks for the great find. Ill be doing this soon for sure.

13. brucehvn

brucehvn New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It pretty much has the same requirements as Proxoid. At least ADB from the Android SDK, but nothing else on your PC and just the Tetherbot app on your Droid.

14. hrhkee

hrhkee New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I made a leap for the moon.

Last week AT&T jerked me around, took my money and did not give me the goods. I paid for tethering and they could not get it to work the way I wanted it to. Verizon sells a MIFI device but forces me to buy two dataplans with the droid and the mifi - SO - I purchased a DROID for $149 from Wirefly and added 1 Yr bumper to bumper coverage for $50 just to stick it to the VZW.

It comes tomorrow and this is why I am paying ATT $170 to tell them where to stick it. I need to tether my netbook via bluetooth. Simple huh. I run either Win XP, 7 or Ubuntu 9.10 on it depending on my mood. All I want is to be able to surf the net and get emails and most importantly listen to Howard on Sirius via the net WHERE EVER I AM without a USB cable.

If I have the phone on me - I want to be able to have my wife use the laptop while I drive, talk on my phone on a conference with Google maps going full bore.

Will I make it to the moon?

I think with you guys - I will.

See you tomorrow and check out the DROID does Time Square in 9 hours.

"D-R-O-I-D"

:motdroidhoriz:

15. jonfhancock

jonfhancock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bad news. CDMA doesn't do data and voice at the same time, so while you may be able to use GPS and the internet at the same time, don't expect to be able to make that conference call too (unless you're using VOIP).

Search tags for this page
how to set up proxoid
how to use proxoid
how to use proxoid on android
how to use proxoid with windows 7
proxiod

proxoid

proxoid android
proxoid setup
proxoid tether
proxoid windows 7