Teacher had a panic attack with MY DROID in her hand

ips

Reaction score
That sounds awful... I mean my school took it too far with taking phones if they thought they were in your pocket( jerk Dean of discipline) but teachers not being allowed to take phones in class? Im sure parents were complaining that their precious kids phones were taken. Im no math wiz when it has nothing to do with $ (econ minor here) but not adding 4+4... come on, I use a calculator all the time, but tech is not meant to be your brain for you...what happened to enjoying learning?

SANhacker

Reaction score
I can certainly understand the concept of people not adding 4+4 these days.
Just yesterday I was leaving a store with a bill totaling $17.06. I handed the young lady $22.06 and she proceeded to hand me back two dollars. She had no concept of the idea I wanted a $5 bill rather than three $1 bills. Happens way to often. If she couldn't enter the amount tendered into the computer, I'd likely still be standing in line.

gatorbait

Reaction score
Ladies and gentleman, say hello to the newest generation! They can't even grasp the simple concept of how using a phone in class may be disrespectful to the teacher... Where did we go wrong as a country?

(I am only 25-years old, by the way.)

aacanela73

Reaction score
Thank God for small town america so if any of you see the problem here quietly pack up your things and go rural. The schools around here have signs posted at the front door that says if they see it they can take it. I know i have told my son that if he gets it taken at school he gets it taken at home. How in the world are you going to learn anything if you pay more attention to the phone in your hand then to the teacher. You should be ashamed of yourself and your parents should be ashamed of themselves. The times they are a changin. I'm going to start looking for a underdeveloped third world country and go back to the basics. For all that I love technology this is really a sad situation.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank God for small town america so if any of you see the problem here quietly pack up your things and go rural. The schools around here have signs posted at the front door that says if they see it they can take it. I know i have told my son that if he gets it taken at school he gets it taken at home. How in the world are you going to learn anything if you pay more attention to the phone in your hand then to the teacher. You should be ashamed of yourself and your parents should be ashamed of themselves. The times they are a changin. I'm going to start looking for a underdeveloped third world country and go back to the basics. For all that I love technology this is really a sad situation.

And would you even consider letting your son have a Droid? I'll bet your answer is no.

Teens should have phones with no texting and to be used to let their parents know where they are. If they want to talk to their friends they can do it like I did on a landline phone.

Of course today there are houses with only cell phones. What a mess!

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Well I can see the generation gap for sure. I'm wondering what the hell a high school kid needs a smart phone for. And how spoiled they must be for their parents to get one for them. And the fact that schools are disruptive enough these days without adding to it. Put the damn phone away and do what you are there to do. Learn. If you had a job that didn't allow cell phone use on the clock you wouldn't do it. I have two kids (17 and 13) and they both would be wearing a shoe up their ass if I found out they were using a phone in class. Dunno what it is these days but so many kids have zero respect for authority.

Will you please transfer your kids to my school? It's a sad state of affairs trying to teach kids these days. I have high school juniors who cannot add 4 + 4 without a calculator. I am not joking. And, forget about negative numbers. We used to be able to take cell phones from students who were texting or talking on them in class, but the administration got overwhelmed with cell phones and returning them to parents that they stopped that policy. Now cell phones, ipods, etc have taken over the classes.
It's a real shame.

I really feel for these teachers these days. It is no wonder teachers are snapping and having panic attacks having to deal with immature, out of control spoiled brats like this. I actually thought about becoming a teacher then realized I don't have the temperament to deal with kids of today. I'd end up fired or in jail. This country really went wrong when it became impossible to give your kid a good ass whippin' without the fear of them telling someone and you end up getting carted off to jail. Don't get me wrong. I don't condone beating your kids or abuse in any way. But I know when I was growing up the threat of getting my ass smacked kept me in line. At home and in school. Remember when they could actually paddle you in school???

I have zero sympathy for the op and all the other kids like him out there. I tell you what. The attitudes you have towards teachers and adults in general now won't get you very far in the real world when you join the work force. Guess alot of moms and dads these days better not think of transforming juniors room into a study. Chances are they will be there for a long time.

Reaction score
Even though I'm in the military I'm working on getting my Bachelors on music performance, eventually my Doctorates become a Professor and teach at a college! I wont have to deal with some of the bull that is experienced through high schools. Why you ask? Because the students will WANT to be there and WANT TO LEARN probably because they are paying big bucks for it. =)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Even though I'm in the military I'm working on getting my Bachelors on music performance, eventually my Doctorates become a Professor and teach at a college! I wont have to deal with some of the bull that is experienced through high schools. Why you ask? Because the students will WANT to be there and WANT TO LEARN probably because they are paying big bucks for it. =)

Thanks for serving our country and having the maturity I never had when I was your age. You're still going to run into some college kids that are just there for the beer, but it won't be anything like high school.

aacanela73

Reaction score
Well I can see the generation gap for sure. I'm wondering what the hell a high school kid needs a smart phone for. And how spoiled they must be for their parents to get one for them. And the fact that schools are disruptive enough these days without adding to it. Put the damn phone away and do what you are there to do. Learn. If you had a job that didn't allow cell phone use on the clock you wouldn't do it. I have two kids (17 and 13) and they both would be wearing a shoe up their ass if I found out they were using a phone in class. Dunno what it is these days but so many kids have zero respect for authority.

Will you please transfer your kids to my school? It's a sad state of affairs trying to teach kids these days. I have high school juniors who cannot add 4 + 4 without a calculator. I am not joking. And, forget about negative numbers. We used to be able to take cell phones from students who were texting or talking on them in class, but the administration got overwhelmed with cell phones and returning them to parents that they stopped that policy. Now cell phones, ipods, etc have taken over the classes.
It's a real shame.

I really feel for these teachers these days. It is no wonder teachers are snapping and having panic attacks having to deal with immature, out of control spoiled brats like this. I actually thought about becoming a teacher then realized I don't have the temperament to deal with kids of today. I'd end up fired or in jail. This country really went wrong when it became impossible to give your kid a good ass whippin' without the fear of them telling someone and you end up getting carted off to jail. Don't get me wrong. I don't condone beating your kids or abuse in any way. But I know when I was growing up the threat of getting my ass smacked kept me in line. At home and in school. Remember when they could actually paddle you in school???

I have zero sympathy for the op and all the other kids like him out there. I tell you what. The attitudes you have towards teachers and adults in general now won't get you very far in the real world when you join the work force. Guess alot of moms and dads these days better not think of transforming juniors room into a study. Chances are they will be there for a long time.
My kids know that they had better be have all the time because I will smack thier butts even in public. Let someone take me to jail for raising my kids the way I see fit. Actually all I have to do is rub my hands together and they simmer down right away. I lived with the fear of my actions as do my children. My oldest just turned 18 and he still knows not to cross mama.

Lisa W

Reaction score
Wasn't going to post, but just can't resist.
I teach slightly younger students - middle school (7th and 8th graders). Our students are not allowed to have their phones on during school hours - yea right. Just had 2 the other day, not in my class, texting answers to each other during a test. That is just one reason not to allow them. Reason #2 - I get very tired of explaining the same thing to the same students who are not paying attention, and though others may disagree if you are on a phone texting, playing a game, etc, you are not paying attention. Yes, I get paid to teach, but not to tutor one on one. I would have called security, they would have come, had the student call home, explain they were on the phone in class and Mom or Dad would have had to pick it up. If it happens in school a second time - same scenario, a 3rd and it is locked up until the end of the year.
And I definitely agree with others, especially in Middle School and High School - show some respect.

swickdick

Reaction score
So often are teachers ****ing crazy dude....I can only imagine what you were thinking when she was swinging it around....pretty sure everyone who owns a Droid would be going crazy with their Droid instincts going ballistic

koralyne

Reaction score
A lot of people posting here are mentioning middle/highschool scenarios, and I just wanted to clarify that I was stating purely college. under college is a bad idea. I am a living breathing example of why you shouldn't text during your classes (I dropped out of highschool, though I'm taking a program to help me get back at that) I made some bad choices, But, there's a silver lining, of sorts.

I just want you to know that it shouldn't be BANNED.

There's a right time and place for it, and it CAN be during class.

not during lectures. don't make the teacher repeat themselves.
NOT during tests. don't even think of it.
not during notetaking, or anything.

The only time I believe that you should be able to use your phone during class, is when the teacher isn't doing anything. Maybe after a group assignment, (but sure as hell not after a test)

I didn't have much time to write this, I'm just trying to summarize most of the posts that happened since i last posted. I just didn't want to be lumped with people thinking you should use your phone during middle highschool classes. Because there IS a difference.

swickdick

Reaction score
Ya and lets calm down parents, a lot worse things happen in class then cell phone usage lmao. ...seriously

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Its certainly natural that the kids are defending their desire to ignore their teacher and do something not allowed in class.

When you get older, you will understand.

koralyne,

I admire your desire to finish your education, but unfortunately, you also invalidated the credibility of your opinion about texting at the same time (imo, of course).

If a student wants to be on their cell phone, then they should be mature enough to walk their happy butt out the door and attend to their phone instead of disrespecting the teacher. If it becomes a common occurrence and there is no emergency, then the student should be asked to leave the class and lose credit for the day.

Take responsibility for your actions, kids.

silvere2

Reaction score
A lot of people posting here are mentioning middle/highschool scenarios, and I just wanted to clarify that I was stating purely college. under college is a bad idea. I am a living breathing example of why you shouldn't text during your classes (I dropped out of highschool, though I'm taking a program to help me get back at that) I made some bad choices, But, there's a silver lining, of sorts.

I just want you to know that it shouldn't be BANNED.

There's a right time and place for it, and it CAN be during class.

not during lectures. don't make the teacher repeat themselves.
NOT during tests. don't even think of it.
not during notetaking, or anything.

The only time I believe that you should be able to use your phone during class, is when the teacher isn't doing anything. Maybe after a group assignment, (but sure as hell not after a test)

I didn't have much time to write this, I'm just trying to summarize most of the posts that happened since i last posted. I just didn't want to be lumped with people thinking you should use your phone during middle highschool classes. Because there IS a difference.

Huh? I texted all day long in high school, and I recently graduated from a top university.

Lol, it doesn't have much to do with whether or not someone texts in class...