Teacher had a panic attack with MY DROID in her hand

koralyne

Reaction score
I dont see why people are freaking out so badly over the fact that he had his phone out in the middle of class. There ARE students who have the mental capacity to listen to the teacher and use their phone at the same time O__o

cant believe im saying this (im only 26) but its not a matter of your mental facilities its a matter of respect to the teacher or just anyone. Or it could be a distraction for those who dont have those facilities. (^_^)
I dont detect any disrespect. Based on the situation i have described, there is no disrespect towards the teacher. you are still listening to the instructor. Its the same as if you were using a laptop during a college class, but while taking notes, you also check your email or are logged into an instant messenger. multitasking. I realize if a teacher doesnt want you to use your phone, you shouldnt, because they asked, or thats their rule. (i had a few teacher in highschool tell me they dont care if i text in class, as long as its silenced, and if im not paying attention, its my fault, though they advised me against doing so. there were also teachers who tell me not to use my phone in class, but i would after the test, if there was nothing to do.)

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
F'ing around on laptops tends to tick off instructors too.

I've watched univiersity professors kick people out of their classes for that, as well as cell phones.

Hooblaim

Reaction score
Its not even like I live in a bad neighborhood. I live in Fontana, California now. In the Suburbs and stuff like this happens on a daily. I use to go to school in Inglewood and Id say alot of things are worse at the school I go to now. The main thing Id say is worse is drugs and sex. People have sex all over the school and occasionally in the open (They are caught most of the time though).and The only drug I haven't seen being done in a classroom is Heroine. Like my school doesnt have gangs or anything like that. Its a bunch of spoiled kids who dont know how easy they got it so they break rules. And dont think its just my school. Im willing to say majority of the High Schools and even Middle Schools in the country are like this. Even in the best of neighborhoods. But Parents arent aware. My parents don't know this goes on at my school and wouldn't expect it and same goes for most parents.

My suggestion to parents and future parents is get involved in your childs school like join PTA and stuff like that, and talk to your kids about stuff like this. Trying to hide them from it won't work. You gotta expose them to it and let them know its wrong. For example if you never talk to your kid about sex and his or her girlfriend or boyfriend tries to have sex with him or her how will they know what to do. You cant expect your kids to come to you. I wish my Parents were more involved but Id never tell them that.

Holy craaaap, do you go to Summit? 0o

gdoane

Reaction score
Back when I was in school in the 1970's, calculators weren't even common. I managed to get one (LED display, no less) and took it to math class where my Algebra teacher said "NOT IN MY CLASS. YOU LEARN THE MATH NO CHEATING." He hated calculators.

I couldn't even imagine him allowing anything like a Droid (not that they had anything like a Droid in 1977) and really I couldn't imagine a Google phone in class now not being cheating like heck.

I was in a Weight Watchers meeting this week (kind of like a class but everybody is fat) and the question came up whether Miracle Whip was better for you than Mayonnaisse. Nobody knew so I pulled the Droid and did a voice search "difference between miracle whip and mayonnaisse" and had the answer in a few seconds (really makes no difference fat and calorie wise but mayo doesn't have as many bad ingredients).

The leader said "I WANT ONE OF THOSE PHONES!" when she saw me do that, but if that had been a regular class and I did that to answer a quiz in school I'd have gotten an "F" so big I'd have to drag it home like Jesus with an F-shaped crucifix.

I can't even imagine schools allowing cell phones now (much less smart phones) when back in the 70's, calculators were banned.

OP
Kdubbjr

Kdubbjr

Reaction score
Umm nah Fohi but Summits not to far. Do you go there? Bro

And wait wat even made you ask that? Is summit like that too? I know AB is.

Last edited:

skiahh

Reaction score
Ha, I would of told her the only way she was getting my Droid was when she preyed it from my cold dead fingers, get your own Droid. But then I never did good in high school, or with authority for that matter.

Obviously.

It's pried.

koralyne

Reaction score
Ha, I would of told her the only way she was getting my Droid was when she preyed it from my cold dead fingers, get your own Droid. But then I never did good in high school, or with authority for that matter.

Obviously.

It's pried.

No need to be hostile broski.

Also, i noticed that a poster said earlier that calculators used to be pretty much banned from classrooms, well... now they arent (for the most part). I know its a long shot and huge difference between calcs and phones, but maybe... just maybe... :)

orthocoder

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Aww Kdubb, I was just about to back you but knowing you go to FoHi.....as I was going to say, I know that most kids these days have a phone and use them in class etc, heck, being a manager of a department-it doesn't stop at high school but continues on in the workplace. In some cases, they are a much needed business tool, but in my department's case, it's a distraction to productivity. It seems that as a society we have become more self-centered and rude.

Houndstooth

Reaction score
I dont detect any disrespect. Based on the situation i have described, there is no disrespect towards the teacher. you are still listening to the instructor. Its the same as if you were using a laptop during a college class, but while taking notes, you also check your email or are logged into an instant messenger. multitasking.

Both of those things you describe disrupt the learning process. In all my courses, even where laptops are allowed, all professors explicitly state that only note-taking can be going on during class. Different professors take it to different extremes. Some have banned laptops, some will call out people who don't make eye contact, etc. etc.

Just because you CAN multitask, doesn't mean you should. Would you multitask during an interview just because you can? Good luck with that. Though some people may not see the two situations as analogous, I think most probably would.

OP
Kdubbjr

Kdubbjr

Reaction score

Aww Kdubb, I was just about to back you but knowing you go to FoHi.....as I was going to say, I know that most kids these days have a phone and use them in class etc, heck, being a manager of a department-it doesn't stop at high school but continues on in the workplace. In some cases, they are a much needed business tool, but in my department's case, it's a distraction to productivity. It seems that as a society we have become more self-centered and rude.

Hey! I didnt choose my school:mad: I dont support them at all.

orthocoder

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Hey! I didnt choose my school:mad: I dont support them at all.
Ok, I forgive you.....I guess being a high school student, you didn't get much of a choice. Move out of Fontucky (or Felony Flats, if you prefer) when you can and don't look back!

koralyne

Reaction score
@Houndstooth, I personally view school as a more laid back kinda thing, compared to a job place (what with classes migrating to be online and stuff, plus, I think eventually teachers are going to become obsolete in a few decades time). Tbh, you are the customer at a school. You are buying knowledge. Once you are in the class, you have already paid the teacher their salary. However, some schools (if not all, I don't know fully) pay some sort of 'commission' based on how well their classes do (passing rates, etc), If they are gonna kick you out of the class for having a phone, they need to provide solid proof that its causing a disruption, such as lower grades, and other students physically not paying attention, or complaining about the phone-wielding student.

What I'm trying to say is, not allowing phones in class is an archaic, conservative-type rule, that really doesn't have any need in our time. Texting in class is just as distracting (if not, less than!) talking to a person next to you, and most classes I have been in allowed discussion between students during class.

You may argue that there is a difference between texting your friend about what you're gonna do after school, and talking to another student about relative classroom material, but that's not the point, the point here is distraction. Talking makes an audible noise, which to some students, can be distracting. Typing on a silenced phone is only distracting you if you are doing it at an inappropriate time in the classroom setting, such as during a lecture, but if the class is idle, as happens a lot of time, then I believe it shouldn't be completely out of line to want to say hey to your friends. Now, whether or not they respond, is based on whether or not they are in an appropriate time to respond, that is their issue, but if two classes are idle at the same time (trust me, it can happen!) I don't see why not.

Last edited: