TBolt root doesn't work

Discussion in 'HTC ThunderBolt' started by SquireSCA, Apr 3, 2011.

1. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Well-Known Member

Followed the instructions for EasyRoot, simply doesn't work. It does step 1 and pushes all the files over, and then nothing. You can reboot the phone and it is supposed to flash something, and it doesn't.

So either this new "easy" root is not quite ready for prime time, or the instructions suck and they are leaving some steps out.

Any idears?

Instructions were from here:

[Updated: 3/26]Easyroot + S-Off [Version 1.6.3.11] - xda-developers
  2. drew

drew New Member

I ran into the same thing..

On my Vista laptop - Step 1 would "push files" (very quickly) and then reboot my phone into the bootloader option screen. No files were actually pushed, and I was only really able to reboot the phone normally.

So I copied everything over to my Windows 7 netbook and set up the drivers and HTC Sync. This time, I ran Step 1 and it took a long time to push the file over. I checked the SD card and the file isn't there. Nothing happened after that "push". No reboot, nothing. Since others are doing it successfully, it would have to be something environmental. The software is supposed to work a certain way, and all we have to do is push "Step 1". There must be something with either our phones, or our computers that is acting a different way.

Any ideas?
  3. mark3748

mark3748 New Member

On windows vista and 7 you can try to run it as an admin. should be able to right-click and the Run as Administrator.

Other than that, I have no idea. I did the manual method, to tell you the truth it's probably easier to do it that way than the "easy" method. It's only 6 extra steps and you'll have a better idea of where your problems are.
  4. cpjr

cpjr New Member

I would try their suggestions or try anther PC, and make sure you have ADB setup properly and the HTC sync drivers installed.

Because the process works quite well and is very easy.
  5. stonedoubt

stonedoubt Member

I just rooted mine using EasyRoot this morning... so you must be doing something wrong. Make sure you download the PDF with instructions... it tells you what to do step by step. I had to do some of the steps multiple times.
  6. Its TwiX

Its TwiX New Member

Easy roots are more trouble than they are worth. Read the ADB for dummies guide and you will be able to do the Adb manual root. The only way you will have a problem when you Adb root is if you didn't do it right. Easy roots have problems whether you do it right or not. People will also be more likely to help you if you run into problems in the manual root.

Just my $.02

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  7. kwiksilvr

kwiksilvr New Member

I will wait for a one click deal...
  8. mjbalys

mjbalys New Member

I had no problem with EasyRoot other than having to restart each step maybe twice. The files pushed fine when I ran the program as admin.

Also if the files not pushing is the only part, download them and use a card reader to move the files yourself. Maybe that would help.
  9. LTLFTCer

LTLFTCer New Member

It took me about 7 or 8 tries yesteray to get the 3-step to work. Finally did. Just stinks it is about an hour for each cycle.

Running Windows 7-32 bit.
  10. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire New Member

Took me about 30 mins total using the easy root process with my Windows 7 32bit machine. I had to restart rooter.exe each step but other than that it went really smoothly. Enjoying a rooted Thunderbolt. :D
  11. MrKleen

MrKleen New Member

Rooting this device is not a one click deal. You have to have things set up properly and follow the directions carefully.

If you do those things it is very easy. And if something doesn't work its because you've done something wrong or don't have your computer prepared... Period.
  12. SquireSCA

I guess that is what I was kinda cheezed about, that they keep talking about "one click" rooting, but it isn't anything like that. It's many clicks, many reboots, attempting 2 or 10 times, etc...

This is my girlfriend's phone and she wants tethering, but I think I am gonna hold off and not risk bricking her new phone until someone comes out with a REAL "one click" root.

That's the problem I guess. If you are a programmer and hacker, this probably seems easy, and they tend to assume that everyone knows the basics and takes certain things for granted, etc... It's why many programmers make horrible programming teachers.

Anyway, thanks for confirming that it isn't just me, and that this is a bit more complicated than the instructions and threads would indicate.

I will wait till they figure out a better one.
  13. dafischman

dafischman New Member

She should have free tethering until May 15th. So wait till then and figure out what you want to do.

Josh
  14. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I appreciate the backhanded compliment. I am neither a programmer or a hacker but my phone is rooted. I did the step by step instructions. They may not be written that well for dummies like me, but with the help of other TB users who do have more programming and hacking knowledge, they got me through it and I couldn't be happier with my TB.
  15. cpjr

cpjr New Member

And on those lines, in all honesty....the step by step instructions are pretty straight forward, but if you still have problems and/or dont understand them....you shouldnt be messing with it. Just for the simply fact of destroying your phone. Do more reading, do your homework, worry about root later.
  16. MrKleen

MrKleen New Member

Over on xda someone made a program that sets up your computer with the sdk and adb, including modifying the path. After that all you have to do is extract the exploit files in folder with adb. Then follow the instructions with the two files that need to be flashed from your SD card.

Not that bad, but the first time you do it your knees will be knocking... LOL
  17. SquireSCA

I guess that I have just been spoiled with the iPhone and DroidX, where it was always a 1 click and done type of thing. Hell, the iPhone at one point, you just typed a URL into the browser and it went to a page and asked if you wanted to jailbreak it and you answer yes and it did it. LOL
  18. cpjr

cpjr New Member

Lol....Im sorry this may sound mean....but if your not willing to learn a little about the system or process then I really dont think you should even be rooting, etc. I dont even like the fact that it gets as easy a the 1-click methods. People get into modifying something they know nothing about and thats when something gets bricked........and consequently are on here freaking out when the phone wont boot.
  19. GSXRADDICT

GSXRADDICT Member

I have a pdf that has step by step done by another member on xda don't remember who but it helped me a lot anyone who wants it let me know.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
  20. SquireSCA

Something as simple as rooting so that I can uninstall bloat, or overclock or even just set up my own icons and things, should be easy. I don't need to take a programming course to be "smart enough" to do these things.

Like I said, most other phones have a simple 1 click root/jailbreak, and it works very well. This one just isn't there yet.

And frankly, with Verizon rumored to be about to lay the hammer down on any rooted devices on their network, possibly kicking you off of data and voice and blocking your rooted device from their services, perhaps it is better to just leave her phone alone for now. LOL
Search tags for this page

gps doesn't work after root jailbreak droid 4

help me phone roots worker in charlotte nc

htc thunderbolt wont root

tbolt does not have fre3vo/data/local/temp folder