TBolt Battery Life Thread

Canefan

Reaction score
This is what a lot of people really want to know before we pull the trigger on this phone. What kind of battery usage are you early adopters seeing? How is it doing in 4G areas vs 3G? Anyone have the extended battery yet?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

techguru

Reaction score
A little early to tell with just one day's use, but it feels to be 10-20% better than the Incredible and that is before going through any deep cycle charges (some say LiON need this, some disagree).
4G/3G/1x handover has been smooth and 4G is lightning fast. I have noticed 4G to 4G tower handoff might be shaky. I see the icon disappear for a little bit, but haven't caught it when I could try to send data (train moved into the new coverage area too fast) so I don't know if it is just a display artifact or it is really losing connection. The data radio has more bars and higher speed in all 3 situations than my DINC had.

I got an extended battery. It does make the phone HUGE and kind of heavy, but still comfortable in the hand because it is nocely curved. Feels better with the extended battery than the Droid X did with a standard battery.

Alan

ANGERisMYgift

Reaction score
I think most of us have been messing around with it so much that it would be kinda hard to gauge just how well the battery will last on a normal day. From what I can see , it seems to be ok, I literally haven't put it down except to eat dinner and sleep since I got it. When I got up this morning at 6:30 I picked it up and have been playing with it non stop and am at about at 75% left

ThunderBolt- non rooted (for now)

geoff5093

Reaction score
I'm impressed with it so far, it's not going to stand up to the iPhone 4 but when I first got it after downloading several apps over 3G, tweaking, etc. it was still on full battery. I will probably buy an extended battery at some point though just to be safe.

techguru

Reaction score
I forgot to mention about the extended battery. My VZW store did not have any holsters or pouches that will work with the extended battery (yet). I am sure either they or Seidieo will have one soon, but in the mean time, I found a slip in pouch at Target from "Just Wireless" that works. Doesn't have a strap or cover though, so I am a little worried the phone could slip out if it gets turned down from horizontal, so I am keeping it vertical for now which is a little uncomfortable with a phone this big.

Alan

OP
C

Canefan

Reaction score
Anyone know if the extended battery will still fit in the car dock?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

mjbalys

Reaction score
The battery seems to do ok under basic conditions but as long as the extended battery is slim I'll be getting one for sure. I doubt I'll make it through the day without charging.

jawa6969

Reaction score
Got the phone yesterday around 10:30 am. Came home and charged it completely and then some (left on charger for a bit). Most of the app restores and whatnot happened while on the charger. I started playing with the phone around 4:00 pm on and used it pretty heavy. I did a lot of set up. Started seeing the 4g connection issue around that time too. Phone finally completely died around 10:30 pm. So I would say heavy use will net you about 6 hours. I think we will see improvement after rooting and removing some bloat. Got me an extended (slim) on the way so two batteries (one extended) should do the trick.

Shelooga

Reaction score
well, my battery life is atrocious. i restored maybe 20 apps from my x. last night i ran it dead then charged it to 100 and rebooted before i laid down at 11. i woke up at 7 and i had 61% left. ouch. i do think it was switching between 3g and 4g in my room, but i had no activity and all my data collection was off. i checked the volume of my speakers for 10 seconds (due to another thread about low volume) and my battery now stands at 51% at 930. 10 hours of no use and im halfway through? it makes me scared to use it. i hate using a phone on a charger non stop. but since hotspot is free for now i brought in my old droid to surf and such. i stripped it down to nothing last night. removed the dialer and all and its screaming again. until i see my tb in action

Datzneat

Reaction score
I woke up this morning to 40% battery life after being on the charger for 8hrs. The phone was also almost too hot to handle.

F

FlyFishinX2

Simple solution to the battery issue some are having

Put the damn phone down once in a while !! I for one do not need to be talking,texting or playing games on my phone all day and it appears as though a full charge will last me at least a day or two

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Put the damn phone down once in a while !! I for one do not need to be talking,texting or playing games on my phone all day and it appears as though a full charge will last me at least a day or two

Well said...to a certain extent. I don't use my phone much during the day, but I know some people NEED to use their phone a lot for business, so battery life is a big issue for them. So far, after only one charge cycle, the battery does seem pretty whimpy compared to my D2. Lion batteries tend to get a little better after a few charge cycles so I'll withhold judgement for now.

I'd like to hear from some folks who bought the 1600m/ah slim battery so see if it seems significantly better than stock. Logic says that it might be about 15-20% better at most. Let us know guys.

F

FlyFishinX2

Well said...to a certain extent. I don't use my phone much during the day, but I know some people NEED to use their phone a lot for business, so battery life is a big issue for them. So far, after only one charge cycle, the battery does seem pretty whimpy compared to my D2. Lion batteries tend to get a little better after a few charge cycles so I'll withhold judgement for now.

I'd like to hear from some folks who bought the 1600m/ah slim battery so see if it seems significantly better than stock. Logic says that it might be about 15-20% better at most. Let us know guys.

yes I realize that there are some people that actually use their phones for business but I'd think they would automatically buy the best battery for that purpose...most people just buy these phones for every day use though and it seems as though anyone under the age of 25 uses the phone as some type of security blanket , they can't even walk down the street by themselves without texting someone. I walk down the street with my head up so I don't walk into a pole or get hit by a car.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

This is what I call hitting the nail on the head. And watch in a few weeks people will be talking about how their battery life improved and there is a "break in" period for the battery. Wrong, you're just using it less.