[HACKS] TBH Free Wireless Tethering Hack Instructions

N7OKN

Reaction score
Just use wifi tether. No hack necessary.

Says I need to root. Running GB. Is there a way I can do this without rooting the phone ?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

airdog251

Reaction score
Success!!!

After my DroidX was replaced by Verizon with a DroidX2, I had been unable to tether. After many months of searching on how to unlock this feature, and seeing this method over and over again, I was finally able to get it to work. The Instructions here leave out a crucial step that is Vital for RadioComm to control your device. Once the small circle indicator on the top right of the app turns green, you need to hit the RESTART button, then wait for your indicator to turn green again. If you do not do this step, you will get red in the status window with an error 4 while performing the RDELM steps. Since doing this, I have had the Verizon HotSpot app turned on, with a Laptop using Cisco VPN and Citrix Reciever, a Galaxy 10.1 Tablet connected Wifi, and an iPod Touch connected at the same time with no interruptions. I left everything connected overnight and in the morning, everything was still connected.

I also performed this on a Droid2 Global with limited success. While the Verizon HotSpot does not work properly, the Wireless-Tether Beta app no longer redirects me to the verizon "Buy This Feature" page. This is not an issue to me, as I like the control and robust options of that app better than the limited functionality of the Verizon HotSpot app.

A couple other observations of RadioComm
- At no time when I tried to get the SW Version did that ever work
- I did this from XP x86 and Win7 x64. When using Win7x64, I did not use compatibility settings prior to install, and I did not use compatibility settings when launching RadioComm. I did however right-click and run as administrator.
- I made a text file with all the values for 8040, 8041, 8042, and 8043 both before and after the hack. This way I can set it back to original state before I send it back for whatever reason. I don't know if anyone else has observed this or not, but the value of 8041, 8042, and 8043 was all the same on both the X2 and Droid 2 Global.

Droix X2 & Wifey's Droid 2 Global
Pete's One Click Root
Stock 2.3.4 (Bloatware Removed)
BigBrassBalls and willing to brick it, to stick it to anyone trying to charge me twice for the same signal......they ought to be ashamed of themselves!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'v had no tethering issues with the razr. I.jad droid x and x2 but never dis tethering with them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Ssilk

Reaction score
Seems like my 3g is a little unstable but not sure if its related.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

airdog251

Reaction score
I believe that to be saturation of Verizon's network. 3g is so crowded that they are giving away double data, trying to get ppl to switch. My performance only degrades in my office on the 41st floor, but I only have 1 bar there all the time.

Sent from my Touchpad using DroidForums

sabiduria

Reaction score
I ran the radiocomm hack on my droid 2 global and it went off without a hitch. The problem I'm having is constantly having to restart the phone because I keep getting kicked off the internet. When this happens and I attempt to restart wireless tether, I end up having to restart the phone. I am running a Motorola Droid 2 Global with Gingerbread 2.3.3, hacked and rooted with Droid 2 Bootstraper. I've been reading and reading and can't seem to find anyone else even having this problem.

Any and all advice would be more than welcome.

newskate9

Reaction score
Hi guys. I finally decided to give this a try with so much success on the X2's. Not happening for me. I'm on win 7-64 and installed new drivers for moto. Radiocomm will not see my phone. I tried reinstalling everything. One time it said I need .NET 2.0. So I download it and it said I already have it. One time it works fine, and still doesn't find the phone. I've tried running in troubleshooting and admin. I've checked the USB-PC setting many times. I've watched a video where the same problem occurs, the person just disconnects and reconnects and all turns green - mine doesn't. I'm rooted, stock, using ADW EX launcher but that shouldn't matter I don't think.

any ideas?

EDIT: Airdog251 - you da man! I used your trick of RESTART and hammered it out of the park. I have to use Google NexusOne device and Master on the setup, and I'm using version 3....9. But it works, and no blasted vzw page. AND it works on my Xoom with new ICS, AND it works on my wife's Nook Tablet. AND it wasn't real hard at all - just scary given the chance to create a paperweight. BUT, with an update coming soon, I thought, why not.

NET - we're good to go for emergencies, etc. YOU guys ROCK. And, you guys REALLY ROCK! Thank you!

Last edited:

mervin

Reaction score
Well, for whatever reason whenever I try to use my browser I get redirected to dunsp.vzw.com. Nothing seems to help and I can't get around this page.

I have the DEC box checked, Rec # box set to 1, Length box set to 128. Followed the instructions and entered 8040, 8041, 8042, 8043 for both RDELEM and STELEM (in the appropriate order). I hit the reset button when everything was finished and still nothing. I've got the moto droid 3.

I'm running RadioCom 11.11.11

newskate9

Reaction score
Well, for whatever reason whenever I try to use my browser I get redirected to dunsp.vzw.com. Nothing seems to help and I can't get around this page.

I have the DEC box checked, Rec # box set to 1, Length box set to 128. Followed the instructions and entered 8040, 8041, 8042, 8043 for both RDELEM and STELEM (in the appropriate order). I hit the reset button when everything was finished and still nothing. I've got the moto droid 3.

I'm running RadioCom 11.11.11

Did you actually enter "8040" for the values? I think you may be misreading the instructions. I used the exact process as listed, with Airdog's updates and it worked perfectly. I'll try to help, but let me know what you did. There are also YouTube videos showing this process - you may want to search and watch them.

N7OKN

Reaction score
8040-8043 values found back to default

Noticed something very peculiar..
I did this hack back in December, then in January when I had to replace my Droid X after it gulped a bunch of seawater. I can confirm that the new values did go in and the hack worked at the time. I haven't needed or used tethering all this time until I tried it today when we needed it at a meeting to look up some information. It didn't work, the page went to the Verizon site. When I got home I checked the 8040-8043 registers and they had defaulted back to the original. I re-inputted the 8040 values then doublechecked and rebooted. It's working now, but I wonder if an update reset those values?

N7OKN

Reaction score
Did you actually enter "8040" for the values? I think you may be misreading the instructions. I used the exact process as listed, with Airdog's updates and it worked perfectly. I'll try to help, but let me know what you did. There are also YouTube videos showing this process - you may want to search and watch them.

Ditto.. It sounds like when trying to carefully parse your statement that you didn't use the 8040 value in 8041, 8042 and 8043 registers. All 4 registers need to have the exact same values, the one found in 8040.

mervin

Reaction score
Yep, I started by entering 8040 in the Element ID box, just as the instructions said. Sorry for the delayed response by the way.

Not to hijack this thread by asking other people to troubleshoot my problems, but this is getting irritating. The only way I've been able to solve the problem is subscribing to Verizon's tethering service. After I subscribed I had control of my internet browser again. However, today I canceled my tethering service and all of a sudden I'm back to getting redirected to the verizon webpage I was talking about in my previous post. Clearly I need some help trying to figure this out, as I don't want to have to pay an additional $20 each month for a service I'm not really using.

mervin

Reaction score
Ok, I think I figured out what I did wrong. You guys were right. After I entered 8040 and and hit RDELEM I copied the long text number that populates, but I didn't paste it in the box for 8041 on up. However, all the number in the Data ID box are the same. They're the same for 8040, 8041 and so on. How can I fix this?

Last edited: