Tax Time!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Tax-Preparation-services.jpg

It's that time of year again that either some of us dread or look forward to. There are numerous ways to file your taxes including tax preparation offices like H&R Block, which in this day and age if you go to them and pay the $120+ to file then you are just giving away money at that point. You can file through H&R Block's website for $30 bucks and still go into a H&R Block office for a free second look. You can also use your android device to file your taxes whether you go to the tax prep online sites or you can just go to the Play Store and find a tax preparation app.
How do you file your taxes?
Do you use any android apps to file?
Those getting money back what are your plans for that money?

MyBlock - Android Apps on Google Play
TurboTax Tax Preparation - Android Apps on Google Play

Reactions: CJM
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ill be paying off some debt and if I have anything left I might snag a One plus One.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have used TurboTax Online every year since the late 90s and highly recommend it to anyone. Don't buy the TurboTax software as that is a waste. Everything you need is on TurboTax Online.

It's cheap or free for those who have very simple taxes, yet is also well developed and robust enough to handle very complex taxes, including rental property, contract labor, investment income and much much more. If you can answer questions from a "tax expert" at those expensive tax prep places, then you can easily use TurboTax and save yourself time, money and aggravation.

I have had years where my taxes were so complex I thought I would need to hire an accountant, but it turned out that TurboTax handled it with aplomb. In fact, over the last few years, I actually prepared my taxes online as early as December (using estimated numbers), so I already was ready to recheck, adjust any numbers, and fire it off as soon as I had all the necessary paperwork in the mail. I had my tax refund direct deposited as early as January the last 3-4 years.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have used TurboTax Online every year since the late 90s and highly recommend it to anyone. Don't buy the TurboTax software as that is a waste. Everything you need is on TurboTax Online.

It's cheap or free for those who have very simple taxes, yet is also well developed and robust enough to handle very complex taxes, including rental property, contract labor, investment income and much much more. If you can answer questions from a "tax expert" at those expensive tax prep places, then you can easily use TurboTax and save yourself time, money and aggravation.

I have had years where my taxes were so complex I thought I would need to hire an accountant, but it turned out that TurboTax handled it with aplomb. In fact, over the last few years, I actually prepared my taxes online as early as December (using estimated numbers), so I already was ready to recheck, adjust any numbers, and fire it off as soon as I had all the necessary paperwork in the mail. I had my tax refund direct deposited as early as January the last 3-4 years.

Big like there and good advice.

Funny story, today I went to H&R Block for a second look just to check to make sure I did everything correct. Turned out I forgot to add my student loan interest. She put everything in her computer only to see it was a $60 difference that I would have to pay her $120 to make :rolleyes:.
I told her not to worry about it so on my Nexus 6 I went to the hr block site myself and made the adjustment only to see that her $60 difference was incorrect that in fact it should have been $175. Turned out she made an error and was using the software on my phone to figure out where the error was made. Now we all make errors so I am not trying to bash the person as I know they are just trying to make a living. I just found it funny that I went there feeling a little nervous about the software only to leave feeling more confident in the software than going to a preparer. Point in the story is that the software out there, especially for those of us with simple taxes, is pretty good. So if you are one who pay the $100 plus for the piece of mind I ask you to reconsider throwing away $100 and take the time to do it yourself. I can not speak for turbo but I am sure @dgstorm can, but hr blocks software I just have to type in my companies ein and verify I am me and it pulls and auto fills the blocks from my w2. So all I have to do is double check, add my charitable contributions and any other additions (ie tags and fees, student loan, etc).

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
We did ours on H & R Blocks website. Its free to file your Federal using the forms on both H & R Block and Turbo Tax, and State will only cost you 10-15 dollars. Many States are free, so check out the corresponding sites to see if your state qualifies.
We didn't pay a dime to file ours and have already received both refunds. We got our Federal back 12 days after filing and 18 days for our State. Remember, the sooner you file the sooner you'll get your refund. If you wait your return will get caught up in the rush of everyone else's and it will take at least 4-6 weeks to see your money.
If you're using a simple 1040 form, do it yourself. It's as simple as entering the amounts from the numbered boxes into the form and both sites walk you through the process making it extremely easy. It took us maybe 10 minutes from start to finish.
We paid bills with our Federal and are buying a 60" Plasma with our State. (Easy come easy go!)

S5 tap'n

Str8Aro

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
My tax returns were filed using Taxslayer as soon as I had W-2s and 1099s. I have used their online service for a number of years and have been happy with it. I do my filing on my desktop while I have all our records spread out on the desk.

Our refunds are back and spent on a new Sleep Number bed to help with the discomforting pain in my spine as a result of a wreck that I had years ago. It gets worse with age - not better like good whiskey!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I used H&R Block. Got my money back a week later. Money went to pay for car insurance.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
We did ours on H & R Blocks website. Its free to file your Federal using the forms on both H & R Block and Turbo Tax, and State will only cost you 10-15 dollars. Many States are free, so check out the corresponding sites to see if your state qualifies.
We didn't pay a dime to file ours and have already received both refunds. We got our Federal back 12 days after filing and 18 days for our State. Remember, the sooner you file the sooner you'll get your refund. If you wait your return will get caught up in the rush of everyone else's and it will take at least 4-6 weeks to see your money.
If you're using a simple 1040 form, do it yourself. It's as simple as entering the amounts from the numbered boxes into the form and both sites walk you through the process making it extremely easy. It took us maybe 10 minutes from start to finish.
We paid bills with our Federal and are buying a 60" Plasma with our State. (Easy come easy go!)

S5 tap'n
Why a plasma? Just curious...

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Plasma's are better viewing than LCD/LED, etc.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Faster Hz speed as well, better for fast action. Love my Plasmas
Have LCD/LEDs too, but the Plasmas are better.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
There are a number of reasons, but really its just personal preference. I've been tv shopping for the past couple weeks and I have nothing against LEDs, I've seen some really great LED models with amazing picture quality, I just really like my current plasma and wanted to get another while I still could. I don't a need smart tv, and 4K and OLED tv's are way out of my league budget wise. To get an equally compatible LED I would have have to spend a lot more money. I know their not as bright but the majority our tv viewing is done at night in a dimly lit environment, so the brightness issue wasn't a factor.

S5 tap'n

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
There are a number of reasons, but really its just personal preference. I've been tv shopping for the past couple weeks and I have nothing against LEDs, I've seen some really great LED models with amazing picture quality, I just really like my current plasma and wanted to get another while I still could. I don't a need smart tv, and 4K and OLED tv's are way out of my league budget wise. To get an equally compatible LED I would have have to spend a lot more money. I know their not as bright but the majority our tv viewing is done at night in a dimly lit environment, so the brightness issue wasn't a factor.

S5 tap'n
Check this out. It may be within budget...

LG 65 Inch LED Smart TV 65LB6300 HDTV with WebOS Phones and Communication Dell

Reactions: cr6

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
We used to use tax act the past few years, but this time used turbo tax as it provided bigger return and an option to take return in Amazon gift card + 10% on top of that. Being a big Amazon customer, free money = win!

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
For the past several years I've purchased TaxAct and used for my Federal/State taxes for my wife and I. It's pretty straightforward and easy to use. And, then would use TurboTax as a backup and always within a couple $ of each other. However, this year there was an event that occurred that we were not able to just confidently do the taxes without some help so we had someone do them for us, and they even threw in our 20 year old's short form and got it done for $100. Next year we will go back to Tax Act again.

However, I do have a question - why do people boast about tax refund? If you're getting big refunds that means you're giving your money to the government for free instead of in your own pocket, then they give it back to you interest free. Just something I've pondered over the years.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I hate getting money back but I've tried to tweak my tax settings so I get hardly anything back and it's either pay a ton or get back money. I can't get it to be even.

Reactions: cr6