1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

TasKiller = battery killer?

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by thecrunkness, Mar 23, 2010.

1. thecrunkness

thecrunkness New Member

Ok, maybe exagerated a little but this something I've noticed. When used advanced task killer it doesn't show that it is using my battery but when I got TasKiller it shows up under my battery use! Granted it only uses 4% but still it seems that it didn't have the same effect with Advanced task killer. Has anyone else experienced the same thing or have any input?
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

3. thecrunkness

thecrunkness New Member

4. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

Do you leave it running like in the task bar. Because when I kill my tasks I kill the task killer too.
  5. thecrunkness

thecrunkness New Member

I do have it in the taskbar. how do you continue killing tasks if you kill the task killer? Do you just boot it back up again?

I was just wondering why Advanced task killer wont show up on battery use but Taskiller does
  6. RLJSlick

RLJSlick New Member

You can always just load TK and kill task that way. That's the way I do it. I don't keep it running in my taskbar, though you can, I'm not sure if it will kill your battery or not. Don't forget to task kill Task Killer also if you take my approch.
  7. aminaked

aminaked New Member

You're not realizing that those programs you are closing aren't using any resources. They're sitting in memory and the OS will clean them up as needed. The task killer is defeating the purpose of cleaning things up because it uses resources AND when it shuts down stuff your droid often just opens it up again, which uses resources. Not to mention the problems the things cause. Don't use it!
  8. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

Some people prefer it, does it really bother you that some people want a task killer? I use it for when I'm using an app that has sound and when I close it I still hear sound, so I kill it.
  9. thecrunkness

thecrunkness New Member

I don't kill anything that just restarts itself ( calendar, messaging, etc.) I use it to kill Maps, browser, games, thigns taht are just for fun to entertain me with when I'm bored.
  10. thecrunkness

thecrunkness New Member

How do you go about killing the task killer? do you just go to settings and do it?
  11. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

There are actually only a few apps on my phone that use no resources while i'm multi-tasking, most still use battery and everything else to run them, esp games, if you can hear sounds while they are not on your home screen, welcome to it draining your battery. There are only a certain couple of apps that restart on their own, the majority of the ones you get from the marketplace DO NOT start back up automatically.
  12. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

Yea all of the people who say you don't need a task killer only look at it from the memory point of view. Although when I have a lot of apps open I can clearly see a slowdown which clears up when I kill the tasks. But in regards to battery, you better believe that apps running in the background functioning are using your battery. Like everyone said, just exclude the apps that open themselves up and android uses. Then don't leave your task killer running all the time. Just use it when you need to. You'll notice a battery and performance increase.
  13. dylanthecat

dylanthecat New Member

Not using a task killer gets my screen turned off faster, which is usually my biggest battery user.
  14. aminaked

aminaked New Member

No, it doesn't effect me either way. I'm just trying to help.

Sounds like you're not using an automated task killer. I use astro's process viewer (manual task killer) from time to time. I don't think the AUTOMATED task killers are a good thing for most people to use. Ideally, they should trash any rogue app that they've installed that's using all their resources. But do what you want, ok?
  15. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

I agree that using automated task killers could be potentially bad, but someone using something like ATK, and having one of the tasks killed be itself along with everything else you don't want (other then those that reopen anyways) is not a bad thing at all.
  16. aminaked

aminaked New Member

From another thread

Something sitting in memory doesn't really suck up battery power. The memory takes up the same amount of battery power if there's something stored in it or not. It's all 1's and 0's. It "costs" the same amount of battery power to store either one.

However, if the program is using CPU then it is using battery power. So, if the browser is stuck loading a page forever then it is a problem. A task killer itself is a problem. It uses CPU to kill idle tasks. Those idle tasks were using hardly any CPU but now that they need to start up again, they will use CPU.

The bottom line is don't install stuff that runs on startup if you can help it. This includes automated task killers, antivirus, widgets, etc. Don't worry about stock programs that run on launch. Don't worry about programs you use sitting in memory. Automated task killers treat the symptoms, but the real problem is programs that people install that run in the background for no good reason.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.
Search tags for this page

taskiller advanced task killer