Tasker and / or odd battery behavior

Reaction score
I am just thinking out loud. *If anyone has any insight, please add your thoughts.

rooted Droid X

I have two issues that may be related:*

1) *'Display' is killing my battery life. *What makes this odd is that the screen will be off for 100% of the time since I disconnected from charger, battery status will be lower (70%, give or take), and 'Display' will take credit (blame) for using 85% +- of the battery. *Does that make sense?

2) I have Tasker installed, with several basic profiles running. *I __think__ I may have noticed item #1 after installing Tasker. *I may be wrong. *Or it may be a coincidence. *Anyway. *I went to bed ast night with screen, BT, GPS, auto-sync, and WIFI off, battery at 50%. *This AM, my alarm failed to sound bc battery was dead. *I can't think of what could be running to kill the battery in less than 6 hours with everything turned off.

It seems something claiming to be 'display' is 1) not the same 'Display' that I know, and 2) is killing the battery. *

If or how Tasker plays into this I don't know. *I am reading whatever threads I can find.

Anyone notice anything similar?

OP
A
Reaction score
Have you tried to uninstall Tasker and see what happens?

Not yet. *Looking for a more specific cause and solution. *Trying to monitor with a reduced number of profiles first. *None of the ones I deleted had anything to do with the display. *but who knows..

Mad1ben2

Reaction score
have you read the thread on the battery draining bug? Sometimes just turning the GPS/Satelite usage off isn't enough... you have to restart you phone as well. that made a HUGE difference for me. I don't have Tasker so I have no idea if that could be causing the problem. I'm thinking of getting it eventually though, so I'm interested if this is part of the problem.

good luck

OP
A
Reaction score
Day 2: *Same problem. *Battery at 70% at night, dead in the AM.

only I am not able to power on phone today... :( *not sure where to go from here.

help*

xMercury

Reaction score
A large part of this is Tasker. I work from 7:30 to 5:00 every week day and charge my phone at night. Prior to installing Tasker, I would have at least 80% left at 5:00. After installing, my phone would not turn on when I checked it after work. This scared me because I thought something was wrong with my phone because the battery couldn't possibly be dead. Same thing next day. Drained it from 100% to nothing within 9.5 hours. Uninstalled Tasker and haven't had a problem since.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
A
Reaction score
Uninstalled Stasker.

Something caused phone to be physically hot while sitting on my desk late friday night. Was down to 30% battery level within 3 hrs.

Auto brightness turned off. display set to about 30%.

Monday morning 12:01a:* Battery charged to 100%. *GPS, AutoSync, WiFi, BT turned off; unplugged from charger. *Monday morning 6a. *Battery at 50%. *Display claims to have used 38% (meaning 19% of total battery life) while _off_.

I do not understand.

I have now renamed all bloatware to original file name and unrooted. *may also uninstall LauncherPro.

Anyone with thoughts?

OP
A
Reaction score
I finally reset phone to factory defaults. *Have slowly been adding apps and widgets. *I actually had a functioning phone for nearly 40 hours (yes. *one charge) this past weekend. *Vast improvement from the 4 hours I was receiving before reset.

I have not yet re-installed tasker. *But I do not think tasker was the causing the original problem. *I will post back shortly.

dadarkside

Reaction score
i have tasker installed with around 15 different profiles with about 3 or 4 active profiles at any given time.

i have never seen tasker take up any energy from the battery. the wifi/gps/etc checks are all default except for the display off timing which is set for 5 minutes.

my problem with the battery being drained overnight has always been the gps issue (and lately launcherpro/adw but that's uninstalled)

OP
A
Reaction score
i have tasker installed with around 15 different profiles with about 3 or 4 active profiles at any given time.

my problem with the battery being drained overnight has always been the gps issue (and lately launcherpro/adw but that's uninstalled)

LauncherPro was running when I just hit the 40 hour mark. *I may have been part of the issue a couple of weeks ago, but doesn't seem to be part of the problem now.

Care to share your Tasker profiles?