Task Managers??

MrKleen

Reaction score
I've read the thread about not needing a killer

And respectfully do not agree.

I got tired of having a full charge before going to bed to find in the morning that my alarm didn't go off because the phone was dead. This has happened more than once.

Since using Advanced Task Manager with a little bit of common sense everything is fine. Of course I've excluded all of the needed items and have a widget on my home screen that simply takes a tap to rid the fluff... :)

sc4fpse

Reaction score
Here's my opinion on Task Killers:

Don’t install any kind of Task Killer. The need to kill apps is a windows thing. Andorid does its own app killing automatically and can do it much more efficiently than you. An app that is not running, but has not been killed, is not using power. It’s loaded in ram and the Android operating system will clear it if more ram is needed. Also, the amount of free ram listed is not relevant because Android will increase free ram if it needs more by killing apps. Almost three months ago I deleted the task killer that the sales rep installed and have never had a problem with “not enough ram, lagging, etc.

Two other minor issues with task killers: 1) when you kill an app and then restart it later, it will load slower than if it was in ram; 2) You will consume more battery power because almost everyone ends up killing most, if not all, of their apps before ending a session and the screen will end up being on that much longer.

I think the only positive thing about any of the task killers is that if you have a little or lot of OCD, then it gives you something new to “obsess over”.

I respectfully disagree.

I would recommend people install a task killer, but understand exactly what it does. Don't set it to automatically kill processes. As others have stated, Android does that on it's own. However, ever so often, you will get a rogue program that will slow your Droid to a crawl, and Android seems to have no idea what to do about it. It's rare that this happens, but when it happens, if you don't have a task killer installed, you'll want to kill yourself. The last time this happened, I had Advanced Task Killer installed. Slowly navigated to it, chose to kill the app which I knew had randomly froze up (hasn't done it since, go figure), and boom! Droid back to normal. Had I not have had that option available, I probably would have ended up doing a hard reset. Not cool.

tl;dr: Install a task killer, but don't ever use it unless your Droid basically locks up on you. I agree, there's no need to constantly kill background processes.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Most users aren't smart enough to use task killers correctly, so they are better off simply removing them.

The best are those that:

Don't run in the background.
Don't kill services.
Are smart enough to add widgets and Home replacements to the ignore list.

The rest is up to the user. A task killer in the wrong hands makes baby jesus cry.

So true......haven't heard that explained any better actually lol!!