Task Managers??

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Most users aren't smart enough to use task killers correctly, so they are better off simply removing them.

The best are those that:

Don't run in the background.
Don't kill services.
Are smart enough to add widgets and Home replacements to the ignore list.

The rest is up to the user. A task killer in the wrong hands makes baby jesus cry.

M

Matth3w

What he said....

I exclude the most of the apps and you're good to go. I think I have the 1-2 dollar one though.

CBLJazz

Reaction score
I use
ADVANCED TASK KILLER FREE

it lets me do what i want, not sure if i'm using it right though.
i don't even know what that means.

kristoff125

Reaction score
Only close tasks you opened and want to no longer be open, if you didn't open it, don't know what it is, or don't know why it's open, don't kill it =).

OP
spiralskygilligan
Reaction score
Thanks, I was using this one also it was a generic one for those of us who "dont want to make baby Jesus cry". I have to say I hate doing things to my phone I have no clue what I am doing and it getting all messed up!!! So this task manager was perfect...
Thanks

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Only close tasks you opened and want to no longer be open, if you didn't open it, don't know what it is, or don't know why it's open, don't kill it =).

Great suggestion. I do use one called Task Panel but only on rare occasions. And I don't have it set up to "auto" do anything.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Here's my opinion on Task Killers:

Don’t install any kind of Task Killer. The need to kill apps is a windows thing. Andorid does its own app killing automatically and can do it much more efficiently than you. An app that is not running, but has not been killed, is not using power. It’s loaded in ram and the Android operating system will clear it if more ram is needed. Also, the amount of free ram listed is not relevant because Android will increase free ram if it needs more by killing apps. Almost three months ago I deleted the task killer that the sales rep installed and have never had a problem with “not enough ram, lagging, etc.

Two other minor issues with task killers: 1) when you kill an app and then restart it later, it will load slower than if it was in ram; 2) You will consume more battery power because almost everyone ends up killing most, if not all, of their apps before ending a session and the screen will end up being on that much longer.

I think the only positive thing about any of the task killers is that if you have a little or lot of OCD, then it gives you something new to “obsess over”.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
. An app that is not running, but has not been killed, is not using power.

Except when they hang the gps open.
Except Android does not kill apps per CPU usage.

You think one dimensionally. RAM isn't what slows down the phone or kills the battery. CPU usage is, and Android does not do a good job of managing that, when an application misbehaves.

In a perfect world, it would be fine. However, this is not a perfect world, nor a perfect OS, nor are the apps written for it perfect.

So do I need a task killer to end apps? Nope. But I guarantee you I can do it faster with one, than muddling through the Manage Applications menus.

Last edited:

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
That doesn't address a program hogging CPU cycles in the background, killing your battery and hurting your performance.

Edit:

Nor does it address the programs that rely on the GPS periodically to update location, etc. Turning off the GPS just gimps those apps to death.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Just like these guys said... You cant just kill everything all the time thinking you are helping. You have to exclude the items that are needed or that you use very often. Only kill the fluff stuff.

I purchased a couple of them, but have decided I prefer Advanced Task Manager. After making all my exclusions I don't even have to have ATM running. I put a widget on the homescreen that with a tap kills everything not excluded without having to launch the program itself. Very handy, very easy, very nice.

Most users aren't smart enough to use task killers correctly, so they are better off simply removing them.

The best are those that:

Don't run in the background.
Don't kill services.
Are smart enough to add widgets and Home replacements to the ignore list.

The rest is up to the user. A task killer in the wrong hands makes baby jesus cry.

M

Matth3w

That doesn't address a program hogging CPU cycles in the background, killing your battery and hurting your performance.

Edit:

Nor does it address the programs that rely on the GPS periodically to update location, etc. Turning off the GPS just gimps those apps to death.
Yeah like my news and weather genie widget that never screw up....but Google Maps which sometimes hangs the GPS does.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
. An app that is not running, but has not been killed, is not using power.

Except when they hang the gps open.
Except Android does not kill apps per CPU usage.

You think one dimensionally. RAM isn't what slows down the phone or kills the battery. CPU usage is, and Android does not do a good job of managing that, when an application misbehaves.

In a perfect world, it would be fine. However, this is not a perfect world, nor a perfect OS, nor are the apps written for it perfect.

So do I need a task killer to end apps? Nope. But I guarantee you I can do it faster with one, than muddling through the Manage Applications menus.

Good points. However I never recommended using the Manage Applications as a replacement for Task Killers. My position is that you don't need to kill apps. Maybe I've just been lucky that I've never had a "rogue app" that had to be killed. Hope that luck continues.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I hope it continues for you as well.