Task Manager

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by jasond212000, Jul 21, 2010.

1. jasond212000

jasond212000 New Member

New to droid. Just a couple questions. On my task manager icon on the home screen that shows the MB what is a sufficient number that should be there. I've gotten in the habit of hitting every time time i get done sending a message or closing something everytime. Is this really necessary? How far down should i let the MB get before i hit it? And second, should I be concerned about my phone being so warm after i been listening to radio or watching ustream,etc..? Oh and been a blackberry person for several years and am extremely happy so far with my switch to droid, hope it was the right decision. Love the phone.

Thanks for any help
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I knew you were a Blackberry person the moment I saw the title of your thread.:) Droid does not work like Blackberry at all so there is no need for you to worry about how many MB are showing and what is sufficient. Just let Droid manage it's own memory, forget about everything you ever learned about Blackberry, and you should be just fine.

That's one of the big differences of Droid over Blackberry. Remember how you would do a battery pull to restore app memory? That's not necessary any longer.

There are no need for app managers, or app killers. Just let it do it's own thing. If you do come to a point where you find it necessary to shut down an app you can do that in settings in the application menu.
  3. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Whatever it takes for your device to run smoothly. Unless you're specifically having issues, don't fret over it. Android isn't like your former device. It's designed to keep apps ready in the background and will manage memory and resources as needed.
  4. jasond212000

jasond212000 New Member

What about it getting so warm, almost hot, when watching ustream or radio
  5. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

Takeshi is correct, as usual. It might be worth adding a word of qualification, however. In general, your device (at least the Moto Droid) will try to keep about 30+ mb free. Any level above that is perfectly ok. No need to worry.

If your free memory drops below 20 mb, you're likely to get a warning message (notification) that you're running out of memory. If that happens, it's very likely that either a messaging or an email app is to blame. If you clear the cache associated with your email app, for example, the problem will disappear. (Cache is data associated with the app that's dragged into memory. Failing to clear it from time to time will "clog" your memory.)

If you're using gmail, it's important to clear the cache associated with gmail AND with gmail storage. The latter app can be accessed only by using the "Filter: All" menu choice in Manage Applications.
  6. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

No need to worry in most cases. The phone's cpu is clocked at a prescribed level (unless you've rooted and overclocked) to cope with a certain amount of heat generated by the phone's activity.

If you do root and overclock your processor, you may create a problem. Clock speed is set at a conservative speed to cope with manufacturing variances for individual units. By overclocking you are running the risk of frying your processor if you happen to have a cpu that is on the low end of the manufacturing tolerances. (No way to determine if that is true.)

If the heat is excessive in normal operation, you may have a defective battery. To test this condition, buy a second battery on Amazon for less than $10. Try each battery and see if there is a difference.

The advantage of this approach is that you'll have a second battery and can stop worrying about battery life. (Add a standalone charger from Amazon for about $15 and you can always have a fully charged spare.)
  7. jasond212000

jasond212000 New Member

Cool. Thanks for the help guys.