Task Manager

jasond212000

Reaction score
New to droid. Just a couple questions. On my task manager icon on the home screen that shows the MB what is a sufficient number that should be there. I've gotten in the habit of hitting every time time i get done sending a message or closing something everytime. Is this really necessary? How far down should i let the MB get before i hit it? And second, should I be concerned about my phone being so warm after i been listening to radio or watching ustream,etc..? Oh and been a blackberry person for several years and am extremely happy so far with my switch to droid, hope it was the right decision. Love the phone.

Thanks for any help

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
New to droid. Just a couple questions. On my task manager icon on the home screen that shows the MB what is a sufficient number that should be there. I've gotten in the habit of hitting every time time i get done sending a message or closing something everytime. Is this really necessary? How far down should i let the MB get before i hit it? And second, should I be concerned about my phone being so warm after i been listening to radio or watching ustream,etc..? Oh and been a blackberry person for several years and am extremely happy so far with my switch to droid, hope it was the right decision. Love the phone.

Thanks for any help

I knew you were a Blackberry person the moment I saw the title of your thread.:) Droid does not work like Blackberry at all so there is no need for you to worry about how many MB are showing and what is sufficient. Just let Droid manage it's own memory, forget about everything you ever learned about Blackberry, and you should be just fine.

That's one of the big differences of Droid over Blackberry. Remember how you would do a battery pull to restore app memory? That's not necessary any longer.

There are no need for app managers, or app killers. Just let it do it's own thing. If you do come to a point where you find it necessary to shut down an app you can do that in settings in the application menu.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
On my task manager icon on the home screen that shows the MB what is a sufficient number that should be there.
Whatever it takes for your device to run smoothly. Unless you're specifically having issues, don't fret over it. Android isn't like your former device. It's designed to keep apps ready in the background and will manage memory and resources as needed.

OP
J

jasond212000

Reaction score
What about it getting so warm, almost hot, when watching ustream or radio

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
On my task manager icon on the home screen that shows the MB what is a sufficient number that should be there.
Whatever it takes for your device to run smoothly. Unless you're specifically having issues, don't fret over it. Android isn't like your former device. It's designed to keep apps ready in the background and will manage memory and resources as needed.

Takeshi is correct, as usual. It might be worth adding a word of qualification, however. In general, your device (at least the Moto Droid) will try to keep about 30+ mb free. Any level above that is perfectly ok. No need to worry.

If your free memory drops below 20 mb, you're likely to get a warning message (notification) that you're running out of memory. If that happens, it's very likely that either a messaging or an email app is to blame. If you clear the cache associated with your email app, for example, the problem will disappear. (Cache is data associated with the app that's dragged into memory. Failing to clear it from time to time will "clog" your memory.)

If you're using gmail, it's important to clear the cache associated with gmail AND with gmail storage. The latter app can be accessed only by using the "Filter: All" menu choice in Manage Applications.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
What about it getting so warm, almost hot, when watching ustream or radio

No need to worry in most cases. The phone's cpu is clocked at a prescribed level (unless you've rooted and overclocked) to cope with a certain amount of heat generated by the phone's activity.

If you do root and overclock your processor, you may create a problem. Clock speed is set at a conservative speed to cope with manufacturing variances for individual units. By overclocking you are running the risk of frying your processor if you happen to have a cpu that is on the low end of the manufacturing tolerances. (No way to determine if that is true.)

If the heat is excessive in normal operation, you may have a defective battery. To test this condition, buy a second battery on Amazon for less than $10. Try each battery and see if there is a difference.

The advantage of this approach is that you'll have a second battery and can stop worrying about battery life. (Add a standalone charger from Amazon for about $15 and you can always have a fully charged spare.)

shortie43506

Reaction score
Anyone else look at the pre installed task manager on the Rezound? Mine shows I am typically using over 600 mb of ram, with only about 160 mb free, but I have nothing open in the task manager. Even when I have something showing open and I hit kill, it still shows I am using the same amount.

Just wondering why it is so off? I would just like to have an accurate task manager...any options??

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

didiwags

Reaction score
I have looked at the task manager and noticed it said I was using a lot of ram but I have not killed anything. Just left it!

Sent from my Rezound

combatmedic870

Reaction score
eh...dont use it...task managers are evil. the os will kill things when needed. 160mb of ram is plenty without root.

blackngray70

Reaction score
I have the same. I'm not really worried about it but I am curious as to why it is so incredibly inaccurate.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
It's not innacurate. It's just that you can't see everything that it's hiding from you. Install a terminal emulator and run "top -n 1". You'll see what's using your RAM(No you don't need root for this).

blackngray70

Reaction score
It's very inaccurate compared to when you go in to manage applications and check the ram usage.

WallyIAm

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Sorry for reviving a dormant post, but I didn't want to create clutter with an identical thread. So what's the current thinking on the stock task manager installed by HTC? Seemed the consensus back in the OG droid days was that they served no useful purpose other than if you had a stubborn app that wouldn't quit. Is HTC's written differently?

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
I don't think so. Task managers all perform the same way in general on an android system. The best way to control ram is to make sure you close out of an app when your done rather than hitting the home button and going on to a new app.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk