Task Manager Too Aggressive In Gingerbread...

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by subyfan, Mar 11, 2011.

1. subyfan

subyfan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is anyone else having trouble with the task manager in Gingergread??? I can't even leave an app without it being killed. Try to load my feeds and leave the screen...dead. Try to download an app and leave the screen...dead. Try to play a game...a minute in = dead. What is up with this? I love this ROM so much, but I can't deal with this. Insight or opinions please?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2011
  2. Skurvy_Pirate

Skurvy_Pirate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It is because Gingerbread is much more memory intensive than Froyo. That is why it will not be released on the Droid 1. It doesn't have the memory for it. So apps get killed by the OS more often since there is less free memory.

One thing you can try is enabling compcache. It is basically a swap file and uses space on your memory card as "memory". People have varying success with it. Some have no problems, some it kills their battery, some say it slows their phone after a while. Personally, I have had it slow my phone to a crawl a couple times as well as cause reboots, but to me it is the only way to live with GB and it isn't that big of a deal.

3. johnnyb15613

johnnyb15613 Theme Developer Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +2
    My Droid runs like Forrest Gump on GPA13 without compcache!

4. jbang917

jbang917 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont have alot of issues with GB over aggressively killing apps and I am a heavy user. I do use compcache enable and over time it does slow my phone but I just have got in the habit of rebooting every morning which solves this problem for me.

5. subyfan

subyfan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This just made my night...LOL. I have been a big supporter of compcache since it became available. The problems proceed. Just getting frustrated and don't won't to go back to v6.2.1.

6. juhde

juhde Droid X Rescue Squad Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I don't have any problem with gingerbread killing an app I'm actually in the middle of using. Sounds like a bad install to me. I also do not use compcache and my phone runs fine.

GPA13, chevy LV 1.2Ghz 3/3/11 kernel, setcpu min 125 max 800 conservative scaling. 102 various apps, adwEX launcher, fancy widget pro, bbc news, google voice, and a tesla flash light widget. Everything works fine.

I suggest re installing. fully charge your battery, boot into recovery, wipe everything data, cache, system, boot, dalvik cache, and battery stats. Flash gpa13, immediately flash a new kernel (i suggest chevys, they work the best for my phone), boot up and do your titanium restore.

If that doesn't solve your problem, you might want to un root, go completely back to stock, root again and try again. One day outta the blue stuff just started closing on me, nothing would fix it till I tried that, been fine since.

Cheers

Sent from my Droid

7. subyfan

subyfan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Will someone here do me a favor???

Go to the market and download "Grave Defense Silver" (Free...and an awesome tower defense game by the way), and just tell me if you can make it through more than a level without the game just being killed (not force closed). If anyone can do this please provide more info such as Kernel, ROM, compcache state and what-not. Thanks guys!!!

If someone can get this to work, then I can assume that I had a bad install, and I will SBF and try again!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  8. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I just downloaded grave defense silver and it ran fine. I have no idea what the game is all about but I managed to get to level two. Not sure how I did it. Seems like kind of a stupid game. But whatever. Any rate...the Droid never crashed or the game never closed. I had to hit exit to make it go away.

I am running GPA13 with Pete's 1ghz lv kernel. No comp cache. I am using Launcher Pro but tried it in both Launcher Pro and the stock launcher. Both worked fine.

I also opened several apps and switched between the apps, with no loss of data, by holding down the home button.

When I installed GPA13, then the kernel, I then deleted cache and data through sprecovery. Reinstalled all apps through google sync, not through any of the backup apps. Maybe try that. You'll get a pure, clean install this way.

Nate

9. analgas187

analgas187 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Question, I'm runnin 2.3.3 peters and must say its smooth, I have the og d1. What I was wondering is if I flash a new kernel do I have to do a security wipe in order to use the 1ghz kernel? I know I have to overclock. Thanks any response is a good response.

2.3.3, giddy up now yaah!

10. subyfan

subyfan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Strange...

This is EXACTLY how I installed, and I am using the same kernel. Just SBF'd and reinstalled...we shall see. In the meantime, if anyone else has any ideas, let me know.

11. jbang917

jbang917 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Tried this game out (not a big fan though). Got through the first level with no issues. Except I accidently hit back and then quickly hit resume and it lagged a little when rendering the map. Very slight lag though. BTW I am clocked at 450mhz running petes lv600 kernel.

12. peteralfonso

peteralfonso Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    1) Install "AutoKiller Memory Optimizer" from Market.
    2) Open AutoKiller > Menu > Settings > Enable advanced mode
    3) Set the following values:
    Foreground app: 6
    Visible app: 10
    Secondary server: 20
    Hidden app: 24
    Content provider: 28
    Empty app: 28
    4) Apply new values
    5) Reboot device

Use these settings for a while and report back..,It should fix your problem.

If these values work good I may include them by default.

13. smmfc

smmfc Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I just applied the values and my phone flies been playing with it in and out of apps and it stays really smooth like a fresh install again will reply back with any problems but so far none

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

14. subyfan

subyfan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pete...

I'm gonna give this a shot now. Crossing fingers...

15. SupAll

SupAll Member

Ratings:
    +0

So far, these values are working great. I'm using ADW Launcher EX and whenever I tried to open the 4D Drawer after using any app, I would get a FC. After a couple minutes on Dolphin Browser, I would get a redraw going back to ADW. I forced myself to utilize 3 screens instead of 5, removed half of my widgets and icons, and plenty of other changes.

I've just finished going back to my previous setup and everything is going great. I've had one FC and that was when I was getting one of my widgets in place, but so far after that, nothing. Transitioning between apps, opening up my 4D drawer at the default values, and having all of my widgets and screens running without a FC is great! This helped out a whole lot.