Task Manager or no Task Manager???

droidbound

Reaction score
Searching here and on the web, YouTube etc., I am seeing very conflicting statements on the question of installing a task manager/app killer or not.
Some people report significant improvement on their battery life, others say these apps cause more problems than they solve.
What do the experts here say about that?

capnfuffy

Reaction score
I used task killer free for a while after purchasing my phone. Then after reading somewhere that they were not necessary I uninstalled it. My phone runs just as fast and i have noticed no decrese in battery life.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
They're really not necessary. The OS does a great job of managing tasks and memory. That being said, I keep one around and use it when playing with a new rogue app. Task killers arent bad IF you set them up properly, but auto task killers are completely unnecessary.

kristain

Reaction score
RE

Select Start.
Select Run.
Type the following command into the Run dialog box: %systemroot%\inf
Select OK to open the INF folder.
Find the file named "mstask.inf."
Right click on the file, and choose Install. You will be prompted to insert your Windows CD. Windows will handle the rest of the installation of Task Manager.

circsmonky

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Searching here and on the web, YouTube etc., I am seeing very conflicting statements on the question of installing a task manager/app killer or not.
Some people report significant improvement on their battery life, others say these apps cause more problems than they solve.
What do the experts here say about that?
i did a few tests myself. i noticed no clear difference. i keep it because then i know apps i dont need running all the time arnt.

mjs31

Reaction score
No no no. No need for them. I ran one for the first 1.5 months when I got it and then got rid of it absolutely no difference at all. It will also save you some hassle if you don't run one. Certain apps need to be removed from the task killers or else they will not run. Failing to do so can cause headaches. Just say no ;-)

Reaction score
Not necessary, but I do keep one to kill apps that hang up sometimes, or whatever. I don't use it to automatically kill apps though.

DigiK

Reaction score
Depending on what types of applications you run, the native Android memory management settings may not work optimally on your device. I've found them to be too conservative about killing empty background apps. Having such a low amount of device memory available on the device leads to lag especially when you open up an app that is memory intensive, such as Mixzing. The system will often lag until dormant apps are flushed.

Despite what others may say, having a Task Manager installed on your phone is a net benefit for both memory management and the occasional killing of non-responsive apps.