Task manager just for when phone first loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

2385amh

Reaction score
Okay so I had deleted my task manager and all was well. I learned through research on df that they are unnecessary for battery management and learned long ago how to manage apps and control apps that were open in the setting area.

My problem is that when I reboot for any reason there is always a dozen or so apps running. What are thoughts on keeping a task manager for use in this limited case just to clear these apps?

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Using a task manager is using a task manager. Whether it is when the phone first starts or after it has been running for a while. There is no need to kill the processes that start when the phone is turned on. They are not actually running, they are just sitting in memory waiting to be used. Also, there is no need to delete the task manager from your phone. Just don't have it set to automatically delete processes. It can be used at times to stop rogue apps (altough Andorid has a built-in way to do this it is easier with a Task Killer).

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
(I hate it when people give out half-baked advice, starting with "I remember reading somewhere"...but...) I remember reading somewhere that memory management in Froyo also means that RAM is (typically) all assigned. In other words, it's not like a Windows machine where you have XX% free at any point. Instead, Android fills RAM, and then swaps apps in and out as demand for memory changes. This is presumably why, when you kill an app and think "great, there's some free RAM" another app seems to mysteriously load itself back into memory.

Actually, I know exactly where I read it: it was that phenomenal thread on droidforums that debunked the myths and misunderstandings of Android memory management and task killers. I'm just too old to remember the name of the thread!

-Matt

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
(I hate it when people give out half-baked advice, starting with "I remember reading somewhere"...but...) I remember reading somewhere that memory management in Froyo also means that RAM is (typically) all assigned. In other words, it's not like a Windows machine where you have XX% free at any point. Instead, Android fills RAM, and then swaps apps in and out as demand for memory changes. This is presumably why, when you kill an app and think "great, there's some free RAM" another app seems to mysteriously load itself back into memory.

Actually, I know exactly where I read it: it was that phenomenal thread on droidforums that debunked the myths and misunderstandings of Android memory management and task killers. I'm just too old to remember the name of the thread!

-Matt

Actually you did a great job of summing it all up. I think the thread you're looking for is right here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

And since we don't want or need anymore threads on task killers/management I'm going to refer you to that one and close this one down.

Status
Not open for further replies.