Task Killers... The Answer from Google & Developers.

grace1169

Reaction score
Battery and Task Kill

What your task killer is showing as running is not what is actually running. It is, instead, showing what is loaded into memory, waiting to be used. As you even mention yourself, the OS will load up your memory so that apps it thinks you'll use are faster. So a full memory uses as much power as empty memory.

To find out why battery life is improved when running a task killer, you need to find the rogue app(s). The best/easiest way to do so is see what are the items using the most battery. Why? Because what is using the CPU is using the battery. The top items tend to be cell standby/display/android os. Others can be higher based on usage (it is a percentage-based metric after all).

Of course, turn off the meory management/task killers to get the most accurate view in the battery usage list. Once you/we know your top battery hogs, suggestions can be made for alternatives.

Yeah, yeah.. I'm on my phone. So?

Now i know that there is something to do with battery. You mean that making a good use of Task Kill can save the battery , right?

rom1966

Reaction score
Task Killer Fix

This would be a mute issue if devs were required to included an "Exit" option on all their applications...

Skrimpy

Reaction score
Newbie here. I'm trying to understand all of this and am having a hard time. I understand having a program open if its one that you use. If its one that you never use it doesn't help you ANY to have it "ready to go". If this were the true reason and the Droid was "smart", I would never find vznavigator open. I would never find dlna open. The software would know ive never opened them and I would never find them open. The fact that the software will terminate any program that isn't in use to free up memory if it needs only makes sense if its a program you use. This in and of itself will use memory and battery no matter how miniscule. Also if this becomes the case every time you want to open an app (eventually it will) you will be closing and opening a program every time you want to open one, rather than just opening one. That makes no sense whatsoever. The only way this works is if the OS only allows programs to be open if there is enough memory to run any given program and allows you to uninstall the bloatware or at least not allow them to open. Otherwise the idea becomes self defeating when you're maxing out memory and storage (which I have no doubt some of you do) and it will become more apparent as the chip degrades and becomes slower over time.

Last edited:

TC_Mits

Reaction score
I see no 'search this thread' option in this DF app, but its a simple question:

Will the ATK free "froyo" version work as intended on a DX running Gingerbread 2.3.3 &up?

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I see no 'search this thread' option in this DF app, but its a simple question:

Will the ATK free "froyo" version work as intended on a DX running Gingerbread 2.3.3 &up?

( By DX w/DF app. )

No because it hasn't really been needed since Eclair (2.1)

Sent from my Untouchable TB using Xparent Tapatalk

doublea500

Reaction score
if only others believed me about this.

all i hear is "it helps my battery and makes my phone run faster"

TC_Mits

Reaction score
No because it hasn't really been needed since Eclair (2.1)

I didn't say, 'as needed' I wrote "as intended".
I didn't need a lecture, just an answer.
I found it elsewhere: Yes, it works fine.

I do believe you, in principle. But "there's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip." And many Android apps are poorly implemented.

I find it suspicious that so many posters are so adamant that nobody else should use TKs. Why is it such a big deal to you if another person wants to waste their time unnecessarily zapping apps? Are you down on gamers, too, because they waste their time zapping imaginary aliens?

Also, I use ATK, now that I have it, more out of a concern for security than because I expect it to impact daily battery use.

( By DX w/DF app. )

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That was rather rude considering all I did was give you an answer. Moving on...

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I find it suspicious that so many posters are so adamant that nobody else should use TKs. Why is it such a big deal to you if another person wants to waste their time unnecessarily zapping apps? Are you down on gamers, too, because they waste their time zapping imaginary aliens?

I'm not going to address the "lecture", however, the reason we intervene, is because there are many people, as it is, that complain about battery life. Without a task killer we can provide accurate information and troubleshooting when the member IS having an actual issue with the battery life, sans task killer.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
When you start to see all the issues they create you have to pass the info on. Android does not like a 3rd party application managing it. It's essentially like putting a pacemaker in a perfectly healthy individual. There's just some things you should not do :)

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
BTW Droid DOES Rocks :) awesome themer and member

moving on...........lol

TC_Mits

Reaction score
When you start to see all the issues they create you have to pass the info on. Android does not like a 3rd party application managing it. It's essentially like putting a pacemaker in a perfectly healthy individual. There's just some things you should not do :)

You're not just passing on information; you're on a crusade.

But, hey, gotta move on...
I'm outta here.

( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited:

6969earl

Reaction score
Killing tasks

Anything that's 'auto-killing' is working against the OS's design.

Task killers are a nice one touch solution for killing unresponsive or malfunctioning apps. (if you don't want to go through menu > applications > manage applications > filter > all to kill an app). Remember, you can 'kill' tasks without an additional app.

How do you "kill tasks without an additional app"?