Task Killer

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by Jages16, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Jages16

Jages16 New Member

I have read about the Task Killer App, but have also read that it seems to be screwing up some member's Droids. If I don't download a task killer app, how do I shut an app down manually? Is there a way? I don't want to bog down the battery with a bunch of open apps.
  2. ZBoater

ZBoater New Member

I do Settings / Applications / Running Services and click on the one I want to close.
  3. jimnutt

jimnutt New Member

First off, read this thread and it will explain why you don't need to worry about background apps. Android will let you see what apps are using up your battery (you'll probably find the display is the biggest power hog). Apps that are in the background are typically idle, not consuming resources or power. If the OS needs the memory they occupy, it sends them a signal, they save their state and exit, freeing the memory, otherwise they wait to be brought back to the foreground. There are some tasks in the background that are working, but even those spend most of their time waiting on a timer or for something to come in over the network and are idle the rest. All worrying about background apps will do is drive you crazy and have little to no effect on your phone's performance.
  4. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

I haven't had a task killer since I bought my droid on Nov. 13. Never boggs down and battery last pretty much a whole day for me with fairly heavy usage. Most apps if you use the back button to back out shut em down. But if they are left running they really don't use any resources. Like previous poster mentioned check setting:about phone:battery use and you will see other than the big ole screen nothing else even comes close to using much power.
  5. Jages16

Jages16 New Member

Thanks for all the info everyone!