task killer confusion

thehulk20

Reaction score
I have the advanced task killer app. I understand what it's general purpose is about. My question is if the app works "on its on" or if I have to constantly go into the app and "kill" the running apps?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
ATK is useless, as Android automatically stops apps from using resources when they're not in use.

I used task killers for a long time on two different Android phones, and then saw many people make that claim in this forum.

Since then, I uninstalled ATK and stopped using Home++'s built-in app killer.

No change, so task killers are useless.

[They'll find apps that are "running," but more often than not, those apps are not actually using resources [ie battery, RAM]]

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Task killers are controversial, if not anything else. It seems more people believe you should have one, however I find that arguments against them are more compelling.

Truth is you don't really need a task killer to kill your apps, you can do it yourself on applications. Takes a few more steps. I say just let Droid to it's thing and don't worry about it.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
ATK is useless, as Android automatically stops apps from using resources when they're not in use.

I used task killers for a long time on two different Android phones, and then saw many people make that claim in this forum.

Since then, I uninstalled ATK and stopped using Home++'s built-in app killer.

No change, so task killers are useless.

[They'll find apps that are "running," but more often than not, those apps are not actually using resources [ie battery, RAM]]

It's certainly true that task killers are overused. And the most common overuse is an effort to "free memory" so the phone will run faster. It's not necessary and can actually slow down a phone while the operating system restarts processes that have been killed.

However, that doesn't mean a task killer is "useless," anymore than the capability to "end a process" is useless on a PC. There are times when a hung or runaway application has to be killed. That can be done via a task killer or by shutting down your phone. The former is a quicker solution and can provide a clue as to what is causing problems.

I've used a task killer on a couple of occasions, for example, to kill an unwanted download of an attachment, for example, when it turned out the attachment is a massive pdf.

Considering that many users are running software that is (at best) beta versions nabbed from the Market, a task killer can be a valuable tool.

mudpro69

Reaction score
I have ATK installed although I agree with everyone that you really dont need it. I only use it when I finish with my browser, this wipes the last open browser history. I haven't found any way to do that without ATK.

With that said, if you are compelled to use, do so. It won't hurt anything...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I have ATK installed although I agree with everyone that you really dont need it. I only use it when I finish with my browser, this wipes the last open browser history. I haven't found any way to do that without ATK.

Menu>Windows>close all windows. Next time you open the browser by the icon, your default homepage shows up. Unless you're talking about clearing cache/history completely...

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
After becoming a huge pet peeve and some reading here when i first joined, I got rid of ATK, I felt it necessary at first but I mean, my phone is not sluggish and has great battery life. Android has a great "built-in" app controller and I personally dont see the point of third party app task killers.

Just my two cents

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Well, that may not be true. I've seen many people who have had problems with their phone running slow, resetting, etc. And the fix for many of these problems was removing Advance Task Killer. Now I'm not saying all Task Killers have the capability of being an issue, but I think ATK may be.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think the biggest problem with the confusion [ie the idea that you NEED them] is totally Verizon's fault. I got an e-mail that suggested ATK along with other ways to improve things, you go into the market under Verizon and ATK is there, and I've heard people say they suggested it at the store where they bought the phone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest problem with the confusion [ie the idea that you NEED them] is totally Verizon's fault. I got an e-mail that suggested ATK along with other ways to improve things, you go into the market under Verizon and ATK is there, and I've heard people say they suggested it at the store where they bought the phone.

Agreed. I mean how can you argue with a store rep. They know everything, don't they?:icon_ devil:

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score

Come to think of it the Verizon Rep DID suggest it when I was getting my Droid, I wouldn't go to the extreme in saying they are at fault but maybe just ill-informed.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well, yeah, they only tell you what they've been told. I find that I usually know more than they do at the store around here, but I you're not as much of a tech geek as even someone like me, you're gonna assume they know what they're talking about.

Imo, Tech support is pretty good, but customer service on the phone is just as bad. I had a csr telling me about her Facebook instead of helping me with a problem...Haha!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Task killers are not useless but they are frequently misused. A lot of people assume that Android operates like their former device.

OP
thehulk20

thehulk20

Reaction score
Yes. It was the Verizon Rep that suggested the app to be installed. I never argued and said "sure". With that been said, I don't wanna say anything bad about the Rep. Its not like he was trying to "sell" me anything.
But, thanks for the input. I am still learning the ropes with this device.
So, I am assuming that the Droid handles its own business in regards to monitoring and "killing" apps without the help of an outside app.