Tape Measure App

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
And if you were to measure something in cm, it still wouldn't be an accurate way of measuring something.

So measuring in Metric is less accurate than Imperial?

GBH2

Reaction score
There are free apps in the Market called GPSMeasure and Ruler. I've installed but haven't tried them yet.
GPSMeasure is only accurate to within 3 meters ... useless as a tape measure

Ruler just shows a ruler on the screen, it would be easier to just put carve notches on the edge of the phone. :)

brianr0131

Reaction score
Jujst go buy a 3 dollar tape measure because this phone has nowhere near the accuracy to do this. You'd be much more accurate just guessing.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
There are free apps in the Market called GPSMeasure and Ruler. I've installed but haven't tried them yet.

Ruler just shows a ruler on the screen, it would be easier to just put carve notches on the edge of the phone. :)

Come with me in the field, I have GPS Survey equipment that will prove you wrong.

Last edited:

Slighter

Reaction score
A friend of mine had an app on that apple product. He would take a pic or scan of a credit or biz card then move and it would calculate the distance. Was pretty accurate

brianr0131

Reaction score

Come with me in the field, I have GPS Survey equipment that will prove you wrong.

ummmmm GPSMeasure is a Droid program, so, unless your "survey equipment" is a droid with this program installed, anything you use to "prove" it's accuracy means nothing as far as this thread goes.

I am sure your survey equipment is great but it's not what the droid uses (obviously)

FoFa

Reaction score
Hey, I wrote a tape measure app for the Droid, downside is it is only accurate to 1/4 inch.

This one is the PRO version, comes with the numbers....

:rofl3:

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

ummmmm GPSMeasure is a Droid program, so, unless your "survey equipment" is a droid with this program installed, anything you use to "prove" it's accuracy means nothing as far as this thread goes.

I am sure your survey equipment is great but it's not what the droid uses (obviously)

Sure it does, it was mentioned that GPS is not an accurate way to measure.

GBH2

Reaction score

I never said GPS was not an accurate way to measure, the developer of "GPSMeasure" said that his app was only accurate +-3 meters.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

I never said GPS was not an accurate way to measure, the developer of "GPSMeasure" said that his app was only accurate +-3 meters.

Sorry...I stand corrected.

buee

Reaction score
Probably me

Sorry...I stand corrected.

That was probably me that said GPS was not all that accurate. One way or another, I sincerely doubt that the GPS radio in the Droid is anywhere near the caliber of your GPS equipment. I may be wrong. However, I do stand firm on the fact that the accelerometer would be the better choice to program such an app. All pending on it being accurate, which I believe it could be, it would probably save battery and wouldn't have to send or receive signals to work, thus, you could be in a flippin mine and it would work. I'm not a programmer, and I know next to nothing about GPS/Accelerometers, just trying to think on a logical level with limited knowledge.

Either way, getting back to the original post. It's still a good idea.

mcadae

Reaction score
The iPhone App is called MyMeasures and I want one for my Droid. Basically it allows you to take a snapshot of the item in question then at that time draw in a dimension and then enter the distance. I did find out that it's all manually entered what would be nice is after you establish that first dimension it sets the 'scale' of the image so any other dimensions drawn in the distance will be calculated.

evilleramsfan

Reaction score
GPS info

As for the here and now, yes the GPS system in the Droid is only good to 3 meters, which is the limit of any standard handheld GPS system. GPS, in and of itself is extremely accurate provided you have the right type of receiver and the satellite positions are in a manner that provide a good statistical solution. I am a surveyor and the GPS we use provides for an accuracy of 2 cm horizontal and 3-4 with elevations. The newer surveying systems are bluetooth capable, so I am certain it is only a matter of time until I start seeing Droid applications that take advantage of that ability. Now we use small handheld computers which then have to be plugged into cell phones or wifi computers to transfer the data to and from the office. I see this as a very viable market for expansion and it is possible that future Droid models could be used to survey property.

As for a tape measure, that is pretty difficult as of the way it is configured right now. There are reflectorless optical distance meters that are currently used in surveying that could be eventually used in a future model.

For now, taking the picture and using a scale factor seems to be the best solution. However, this is only accurate provided the picture is relatively perpendicular to the base line and that line which you are measuring. You could use the old Boy Scout trick with a stick and have just about as good results.