Talked to verizon said if we tether we are very limited

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
my computer has been acting a little crazy lately so I have been tethering for a couple of days. Here is the thing though, I have been tethering through PDAnet using my home wifi connection and it doesn't seem to use the phones data, can anyone verify this for me? My comp is fixed now and I am not concerned about being charged for it or anything just curious is all. But I know I used atleast 3-4gigs but my data is still under a gig. And it has had time to refresh so it has the latest data numbers.

bluemoon

Reaction score
This is copied from a post I made on the Tech Issues subforum:

Hi all, have been lurking for a while now but new to posting...

Have followed some tethering threads for some time, & decided that it would be best to bite the bullet & sign on for Verizon's plan. This morning I called a VZW store to ask about it, and was told to install pdanet from the market, load their software on my laptop, & I was good to go. Asked again for pricing, & she said it was free for droid owners. Sounded too good to be true...

So I stopped in after work at a different VZW store, and asked the same questions. The tech who helped me told me the exact same thing, and a manager-type that overheard us echoed him. Said that was the beauty of the Droid (mentioned N1 as well); services like turn by turn nav & tethering were no extra charge. He even took my phone, found pdanet free, & installed it. Told me to google search the computer software & load it on the laptop. Still a little skeptical, I asked again how much this would cost per month, and what the limits were. Again, both fellows said it didn't require any fee other than the unlimited data plan I already have, and that this was what made droid so desirable.

So I'm typing this on my laptop -tethered to the Droid for internet access- still thinking it sounds too good to be true. Used to tether with a Blackberry from Cincinnati Bell, & paid $30/month for the privelege. But... hell, I TRIED to do what I thought was right (pay for the service), giving them multiple chances to sign me to a plan... and three different employees at two different stores INSISTED I just load a free app & tether to my heart's content while paying only for the unlimited data plan I already had.

Would be greatly interested in hearing about other folks experiences when asking Verizon about tethering plans (specifically for the Motorola Droid & Nexus One)

Now who knows, maybe I try two different VZW stores tomorrow & get something completely different??? All I know is that the three VZW folks I spoke with couldn't have been more adamant in telling me I could USB tether through PDAnet all I want without owing additional fees or violating any contract terms.

OP
R

rcjames

Reaction score
This is copied from a post I made on the Tech Issues subforum:

Hi all, have been lurking for a while now but new to posting...

Have followed some tethering threads for some time, & decided that it would be best to bite the bullet & sign on for Verizon's plan. This morning I called a VZW store to ask about it, and was told to install pdanet from the market, load their software on my laptop, & I was good to go. Asked again for pricing, & she said it was free for droid owners. Sounded too good to be true...

So I stopped in after work at a different VZW store, and asked the same questions. The tech who helped me told me the exact same thing, and a manager-type that overheard us echoed him. Said that was the beauty of the Droid (mentioned N1 as well); services like turn by turn nav & tethering were no extra charge. He even took my phone, found pdanet free, & installed it. Told me to google search the computer software & load it on the laptop. Still a little skeptical, I asked again how much this would cost per month, and what the limits were. Again, both fellows said it didn't require any fee other than the unlimited data plan I already have, and that this was what made droid so desirable.

So I'm typing this on my laptop -tethered to the Droid for internet access- still thinking it sounds too good to be true. Used to tether with a Blackberry from Cincinnati Bell, & paid $30/month for the privelege. But... hell, I TRIED to do what I thought was right (pay for the service), giving them multiple chances to sign me to a plan... and three different employees at two different stores INSISTED I just load a free app & tether to my heart's content while paying only for the unlimited data plan I already had.

Would be greatly interested in hearing about other folks experiences when asking Verizon about tethering plans (specifically for the Motorola Droid & Nexus One)

Now who knows, maybe I try two different VZW stores tomorrow & get something completely different??? All I know is that the three VZW folks I spoke with couldn't have been more adamant in telling me I could USB tether through PDAnet all I want without owing additional fees or violating any contract terms.

Do you know if that includes hot spot? Like connecting 5 laptops or pc to it? For me i reather just teather when i'm out of my house if i need to, ofcourse turning into a wireless hotspot probably not a good idea, first of all i have a 6mb dsl. We need more right for android type phones. I wish we can do more things legally to our phone.

G

gavron

Seriously? Again? Another new thread? And people responding?

Look. Use "Search" or google.

Using rooted tethering, tether as much as you like. Keep your "ethically" and "legally" comments to yourself unless you can quote something.

Come on. Rise to the challenge. Quote something from a contract any of us have agreed to. Come on. Remember, TOS isn't a signed contract. QUOTE A SIGNED CONTRACT.

E

OP
R

rcjames

Reaction score

Using rooted tethering, tether as much as you like. Keep your "ethically" and "legally" comments to yourself unless you can quote something.

Come on. Rise to the challenge. Quote something from a contract any of us have agreed to. Come on. Remember, TOS isn't a signed contract. QUOTE A SIGNED CONTRACT.

E

No don't listen to this guy let keep this simple and make it simple for people so they don't have to google.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

E

No don't listen to this guy let keep this simple and make it simple for people so they don't have to google.

Actually he's correct, there are a Ton of Threads on this already.

:closed_2:

Status
Not open for further replies.