1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Talked to verizon said if we tether we are very limited

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by rcjames, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcjames

rcjames New Member

Hi in otherword if we pay for tethering we're limited for 3gb (per month) or something close who cares. Now if we root it, and just pay for data plan and what ever either 900 min or so blah blah and so on. Are we still limited for couple gb per month, or is it unlimited for tethering??
  2. iPirate

iPirate New Member

unlimited until you get caught
  3. dezymond

dezymond RS Lead Premium Member

there's a separate tethering plan that has a cap.

if you root and tether, it's unlimited. as long as your usage isn't consistently high then or like a rollercoaster of a chart, they have nothing to suspect.
  4. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

according to vzw and moto the droid is not capable of tethering.
  5. LMac8806

LMac8806 New Member

That's exactly right. :icon_twisted:
  6. rcjames

rcjames New Member

I'm talking about droid x, gonna wait another week before i receive mine. DOH, anyways I believe droid could be tether by rooting and installing the tethering software. Same goes with droid x, correct me if i'm wrong, but there is alot of resault about rooting and getting tethering by root in google.
  7. JohnnyDepth

JohnnyDepth New Member

Technically you cannot ethically tether without paying for it.
    Doing so (from legit Verizon Wireless sources/agents) would violate
    the Terms of Service or (TOS) when you signed the contract.

However the Droid 1 is in a very unique situation.
    There is NO tethering plan available for the Droid 1.

Since you are technically not allowed to tether,
    you could say (in the sense that you pay for unlimited
    phone data) tethering at 5GB a month or less is what is allowed
    since there isn't a package for the Droid 1.

Your mileage may vary and no one anywhere on any forum
    will be held liable if you ever were found to be tethering and using
    up data you didn't pay for (even though Ironically I feel you have)

No actual proof of this has ever come to light.
    Only conjecture and unfounded/unproven accusations is all
    I've ever seen.
  8. rcjames

rcjames New Member

Just didn't know if rooting and getting tethering for free would be unlimited but i'll take the word until someone prove wrong. I do have dsl and i can download and watch utube movies unlimited, i wont be using the phone to browese much unless if i'm at a place with no internet connection.
  9. JohnnyDepth

JohnnyDepth New Member

Droid X?
    This is different since it has the wifi hotspot feature.
    The moto Droid=the Droid 1, not the X which is known as

-Droid X, Droid Xtreme, or DX.
  10. rcjames

rcjames New Member

I'm just here collecting information, i don't even have the phone yet and i wanna do what right and sure am going to read the contract rules. Don't we get a paper with all the rules and such when we receive a new phone?
  11. JohnnyDepth

JohnnyDepth New Member

This is why when I first got my Droid 1
    I ran streaming radio sites just about 24/7 so they could
    see I used a shi ton of data.

So if they did see me using data via profiling they would know I
    use a lot of data.

Data= 1's and 0's, not remote viewing of what you are doing.
  12. iPirate

iPirate New Member

I never thought about using it that way...
  13. wrightperspective

wrightperspective New Member

Actually, non-rooted Droid 1 with 2.2 has USB Tethering capabilities. Just no wireless hot spot tethering.
  14. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

They're referring to the Wifi hotspot feature, and in actuality, this might be true. The root Wifi tethering apps all set up the network in ad-hoc mode. A true Wifi hotspot/router runs in infrastructure mode. I am pretty sure that the Droid's Wifi chipset only supports ad-hoc (which isn't compatible with all wifi devices). The X, on the other hand, can run in infrastructure mode.

And besides, if that's what VZW wants to believe, let them. They really cannot charge for a feature that according to them isn't possible.
  15. rcjames

rcjames New Member

Look, first of all this phone os is open source, and we own our phones since we're paying every month, if we violate, what there gonna kick us out? It's our phone, atleast my phone will be mine soon. But ofcourse service is not own by us so, well ok but hope for everyone that no one get fk doing so, we have other service to go to if verizon get pissed off of anyone rooting and getting tethering hot spot. We got cricket, and other provider. Yea i'm talking about using our droid x as a router (hotspot) as i explain on the topic.
  16. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

my computer has been acting a little crazy lately so I have been tethering for a couple of days. Here is the thing though, I have been tethering through PDAnet using my home wifi connection and it doesn't seem to use the phones data, can anyone verify this for me? My comp is fixed now and I am not concerned about being charged for it or anything just curious is all. But I know I used atleast 3-4gigs but my data is still under a gig. And it has had time to refresh so it has the latest data numbers.
  17. bluemoon

bluemoon New Member

This is copied from a post I made on the Tech Issues subforum:

Hi all, have been lurking for a while now but new to posting...

Have followed some tethering threads for some time, & decided that it would be best to bite the bullet & sign on for Verizon's plan. This morning I called a VZW store to ask about it, and was told to install pdanet from the market, load their software on my laptop, & I was good to go. Asked again for pricing, & she said it was free for droid owners. Sounded too good to be true...

So I stopped in after work at a different VZW store, and asked the same questions. The tech who helped me told me the exact same thing, and a manager-type that overheard us echoed him. Said that was the beauty of the Droid (mentioned N1 as well); services like turn by turn nav & tethering were no extra charge. He even took my phone, found pdanet free, & installed it. Told me to google search the computer software & load it on the laptop. Still a little skeptical, I asked again how much this would cost per month, and what the limits were. Again, both fellows said it didn't require any fee other than the unlimited data plan I already have, and that this was what made droid so desirable.

So I'm typing this on my laptop -tethered to the Droid for internet access- still thinking it sounds too good to be true. Used to tether with a Blackberry from Cincinnati Bell, & paid $30/month for the privelege. But... hell, I TRIED to do what I thought was right (pay for the service), giving them multiple chances to sign me to a plan... and three different employees at two different stores INSISTED I just load a free app & tether to my heart's content while paying only for the unlimited data plan I already had.

Would be greatly interested in hearing about other folks experiences when asking Verizon about tethering plans (specifically for the Motorola Droid & Nexus One)

Now who knows, maybe I try two different VZW stores tomorrow & get something completely different??? All I know is that the three VZW folks I spoke with couldn't have been more adamant in telling me I could USB tether through PDAnet all I want without owing additional fees or violating any contract terms.
  18. rcjames

rcjames New Member

Do you know if that includes hot spot? Like connecting 5 laptops or pc to it? For me i reather just teather when i'm out of my house if i need to, ofcourse turning into a wireless hotspot probably not a good idea, first of all i have a 6mb dsl. We need more right for android type phones. I wish we can do more things legally to our phone.
  19. gavron

gavron Guest

Seriously? Again? Another new thread? And people responding?

Look. Use "Search" or google.

Using rooted tethering, tether as much as you like. Keep your "ethically" and "legally" comments to yourself unless you can quote something.

Come on. Rise to the challenge. Quote something from a contract any of us have agreed to. Come on. Remember, TOS isn't a signed contract. QUOTE A SIGNED CONTRACT.

E
  20. rcjames

rcjames New Member

No don't listen to this guy let keep this simple and make it simple for people so they don't have to google.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

chipset type 50 is not supported

does pdanet violate your verizon contract