Talk to text feauture not working

aisenber87

Reaction score
When I try to give a command like,"send text to Edith, I'm on my way.". The send text screen does come up, but it puts my entire command in the "message" box with no recipient...

I've watched the example video about 100 times and I've speaking slower, faster, changing the names in my address book to be easier to recognize...all to no avail...what am I missing?

debrad0307

Reaction score
Are you using Google voice? I was having the same issue and just gave up but there is an app in the market that I've used and it's a little better than Google voice it's called vlingo.

tappin and talkin on my BIONIC

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
When I try to give a command like,"send text to Edith, I'm on my way.". The send text screen does come up, but it puts my entire command in the "message" box with no recipient...

I've watched the example video about 100 times and I've speaking slower, faster, changing the names in my address book to be easier to recognize...all to no avail...what am I missing?

As the above poster mentioned, Vlingo does this with no problem but I'm curious as to what app you're using to try to use speech to text. I do this with Vlingo all the time directly with the handset and via Bluetooth. If you're just holding the search key without a specific app installed then you're in google search which will not send a text for you.

Or you're confusing this all with Siri..haha

OP
A

aisenber87

Reaction score
Are you using Google voice? I was having the same issue and just gave up but there is an app in the market that I've used and it's a little better than Google voice it's called vlingo.

tappin and talkin on my BIONIC

I'm using the voice icon on the Google search Bar and the the "send text" box comes up like it's supposed to, but it puts everything I said in the message box...View attachment 46767View attachment 46768

Thanks for the tip on Vlingo, I'll check it out - It just pisses me off to not be able to use advertised features of the phone without 3rd party software. boo

RezoundHound

Reaction score
The correct command is "Send Text". After saying that, you must immediately start dictating your message with no gap after the "Send Text" command. Then, tap the "To" field and press the little microphone. Say the name of the person you want to send the text to. You can also use the the command "Send Email" and "Call" to make a phone call. The "Call" command uses Google Search to find phone numbers, so you don't even have to have a business in your Contact List. Also, the red capacitve search key activates all of these commands as well. It's faster than using the Google Search Bar, as you can use it from any screen.

RH

OP
A

aisenber87

Reaction score
The correct command is "Send Text". After saying that, you must immediately start dictating your message with no gap after the "Send Text" command. Then, tap the "To" field and press the little microphone. Say the name of the person you want to send the text to. You can also use the the command "Send Email" and "Call" to make a phone call. The "Call" command uses Google Search to find phone numbers, so you don't even have to have a business in your Contact List. Also, the red capacitve search key activates all of these commands as well. It's faster than using the Google Search Bar, as you can use it from any screen.

RH

You're not supposed to have to take the 2nd step of tapping the to field though. See picture below....View attachment 46803

RezoundHound

Reaction score
You're not supposed to have to take the 2nd step of tapping the to field though.

Yeah, I know. I emailed HTC about that. I just tried out Vlingo. I think I like it better. It has a "Safereader" feature that reads received text msgs out loud.

RH

OP
A

aisenber87

Reaction score
Yeah, I know. I emailed HTC about that. I just tried out Vlingo. I think I like it better. It has a "Safereader" feature that reads received text msgs out loud.

RH

Oh, wow! I really have to check that app out now! Thanks for the info; could you post the response you get from HTC, if any!

OP
A

aisenber87

Reaction score
I always forget about the built in search button at the bottom, good tip. Thanks!!

B

bens42608

I had this problem for a long time but I finally solved it. I have to say the word "message" after saying the recipients name.
Send text message to john -(short pause)- message what's up

Works for me every time now. I know this is not the way any instructions say to do it, but it seriously works on my Bionic. I hope this helps u

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
A

aisenber87

Reaction score
I had this problem for a long time but I finally solved it. I have to say the word "message" after saying the recipients name.
Send text message to john -(short pause)- message what's up

Works for me every time now. I know this is not the way any instructions say to do it, but it seriously works on my Bionic. I hope this helps u

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Unfortunately, this isn't working on my Rezound. Thanks for idea though...

OP
A

aisenber87

Reaction score
I downloaded the Vlingo app and it is extremely sweet!! Thanks all for that tip!!

Lenagainster

Reaction score
The thread got me interested in Vlingo until I went to the Market and read the following statement:
KNOWN ISSUES
VLINGO NOT WORKING WITH HTC REZOUND. PLEASE CHECK AGAIN LAER FOR AN UPDATE.
The mis-spelling is on the webpage, (LAER)

RezoundHound

Reaction score
The thread got me interested in Vlingo until I went to the Market and read the following statement:
KNOWN ISSUES
VLINGO NOT WORKING WITH HTC REZOUND. PLEASE CHECK AGAIN LAER FOR AN UPDATE.
The mis-spelling is on the webpage, (LAER)

I saw that warning as well. Ignore it. Vlingo does work with the Rezound (at least with mine). I'm assuming it didn't at first. They may have updated it to be compatible and neglected to remove that statement.

RH

lukester01

Reaction score
I have an HTC Rezound and Vlingo and cannot get it to work correctly. I have tried multiple head sets and Vlingo as well as My Motospeak and EVA and Drivesafe.ly and Google voice search, and have the same problem repeatedly coming up. That is that after speaking the text message and the software asking for SEND confirmation, the bluetooth mic no longer seems to work. The phone keeps listening and it cannot hear my commands. I can replicate this same behavior on my wifes Rezound. It will actually work the first time and then after that when asking for confirmations the mic is dead. Other Rezound owners with this issue. It totally is lame because it makes hands free impossible.