Talk time less than 2 hours since update

narquam

Reaction score
I've had battery issues since the android update but I could never peg the problem. The phone would die after a full charge in less than 24 hours even with minimal use. I tried disabling everything and uninstalling all of the apps. It did nothing. So I put on a battery tracking app to watch what happened throughout the day. I noticed a huge decrease in battery charge but only at the same time as a phone call.

Today I found the definite cause. Since the update voice calls have been draining my battery life to nothing in less than 2 hours. Today I caught my phone at 10% charge and found that after 13 hours my phone was nearly dead. Here are some of my battery details.

43% Voice Calls
21% Display
15% Android System

Time spent on voice calls 44 minutes. Now it's obvious the battery drain is about 1% per minute. Which comes to under 100 minutes of use.

The strange thing is, this didn't happen before the update. My phone was perfectly fine and would run for several days. This problem was immediate. So did I get a bad update? Did something not mesh with the update and the hardware? Is something wrong with the phone? I'm not sure what to do since this is my 2nd Droid and I really don't want to go through installing and moving everything onto it yet again.

I want to mention I've tried disabling sync, gps, wifi, and removing all of my apps. The only thing I haven't tried is putting the phone on airplane mode so it has no voice. I also used task killer all day today and it only used 9% of the battery life.

Last edited:

raven1911

Reaction score
I am in the exact same boat as you. I still don't know what is draining my battery. I was told to take it in to the store and see. That is what I am going to do, hopefully tomorrow.

snowman

Reaction score
easy to do a hard reset and start over, but save contacts first
but if your in an area of poor or bad signal it drains the batt. VERY quick is not signed on with a good signal.
where I live there isn't any signal hardly, only 1 bar lit , so I have to go airplane if not making a call or it will be dead in a few hours looking for a signal it puts out full power., until it finds one or dies trying

OP
N

narquam

Reaction score
Will I plugged in my phone and it went from 10% to 90% charge in only 20 minutes. So I turned it off, pulled the battery, waited, put the battery back in and turned on the phone. Now the battery is at 60%. So I don't know if it's the battery or the phone.

OP
N

narquam

Reaction score
easy to do a hard reset and start over, but save contacts first
but if your in an area of poor or bad signal it drains the batt. VERY quick is not signed on with a good signal.
where I live there isn't any signal hardly, only 1 bar lit , so I have to go airplane if not making a call or it will be dead in a few hours looking for a signal it puts out full power., until it finds one or dies trying

Can anyone else support this theory? I do live in an area with bad reception. However not all of the calls have been made here. Like today I was in an area where I had full reception when making almost all of my calls.

snowman

Reaction score
it's not really a theory it's a fact , poor signal areas kill a battery in a few hours like where I live in mountains in Va. if your in a city or burbs with towers nearby your battery will last tons longer. people have come to my house and a couple hours go wow my battery is dead , happens all the time.
here is a lesson on cell phone operation , it's a radio that flags or handshakes to the tower and says here I am esn number if you need me and it is adjusting powers levels of transmit to do that, if it has a hard time reaching tower it puts out a full output power signal till it can if it cannot reach tower or has a hard time doing so, it transmits full blast about 500 to 650 mw till battery dies.
a digital or 3G signal takes almost no power and the battery last a VERY long time like in a good cell site.
trust me many of my friends work on and build sites for AT&T and their all ham radio buddies of mine,
also in case you didn't know Ham radio guys invented the technology for cells to work as most of the radio business and most anything that transmits signals short and long distance.

neemo6

Reaction score
I live in an area with amazing reception, and I have horrible batter life and have attributed it to talk time as well. Have had the phone for less than a week and have been contemplating taking it back completely due to the horrible battery life. Since I have had it the phone's battery will last about 10 hours give or take 2 hours due to usage. My previous winmo phone would go sometimes a couple of days without a recharge. Yesterday I didnt use any apps, talked on the phone for a total of 2hr 15min and it was at 30% at 9hrs from being disconnected from charger. Something is definetly up.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I live in an area with amazing reception, and I have horrible batter life and have attributed it to talk time as well. Have had the phone for less than a week and have been contemplating taking it back completely due to the horrible battery life. Since I have had it the phone's battery will last about 10 hours give or take 2 hours due to usage. My previous winmo phone would go sometimes a couple of days without a recharge. Yesterday I didnt use any apps, talked on the phone for a total of 2hr 15min and it was at 30% at 9hrs from being disconnected from charger. Something is definetly up.

Give it a few days. The first few days I had it battery life was horrible but it has gotten MUCH better (can go easily a day and a half). As for comparing it to your WM phone it will depend on what you are/were doing. Remember your new screen is big and bright (no WM device can match, I'm coming from the Tilt2 and this screen is MUCH better) and that takes plenty of power. And if your WM ROM was a cooked ROM they are also generally much better on battery life. Play around with your settings a bit, Screebl Lite is a great app. Also how's you signal strength in your area, that's a big one (for me I have a much better signal than I had with AT&T so I'm getter far better battery life than I did with any WM ROM or phone I had).