Talk (Google Talk) App

jtjessup

Reaction score
Please point me in the right direction in regards to Talk (Google Talk) App.

I am a recent transplant from BB and BBM to the Droid. I was hoping I wasn't going to regret the move. I am starting to however. Does anyone know who I can chat with in regards to making the Talk app more efficient and better?? I cant be the only one with comments, suggestions etc.

Help! Anyone!

Thx...

pyro6128

Reaction score
you can talk with other people who use gtalk and gchat, and I think you can set it up to work with anyone who has a screen name

OP
jtjessup

jtjessup

Reaction score
Thanks... But my question is not on how to use it, but who we can talk to, to make the app work better.

pyro6128

Reaction score
oh, well in that case im sure google has a page where you can post comments. But if you think you're going to be able to chat directly with someone who will have the capabilities, not to mention authority to make any sort of change to the app, you're mistaken. It's simply not going to happen. Your best bet is to comment somewhere and hope that thousands of other people have the same suggestions as you in an effort to draw some attention from google.

OP
jtjessup

jtjessup

Reaction score
Thanks.... I will see what I can do.

jgesler

Reaction score
im not sure if i fully understand the point of google talk. it seems like it would be just as easy to use my text messaging what are the advantages? i have read something about being able to have a number where you can get called and texted from google talk but so far it seems like all it is is an instant messenger, so whats so special about this google talk i keep hearing about

Zindrix

Reaction score
im not sure if i fully understand the point of google talk. it seems like it would be just as easy to use my text messaging what are the advantages? i have read something about being able to have a number where you can get called and texted from google talk but so far it seems like all it is is an instant messenger, so whats so special about this google talk i keep hearing about

For one, Gtalk is an IM app. This means it's an instant messaging app originally intended for use on computers just like AIM, MSN, Yahoo, etc... What's nice about Gtalk on ANdroid devices is that it has push notifications. Push notifications alert you instantly when you have received a message via Gtalk. This could be somebody from another smartphone or computer. Email would work very similarly, and SMS is generally from phone to phone.

calicocal

Reaction score

I think you are getting google talk and google voice mixed up. Talk is just an IM app where voice you can get a new number and have it ring multiple phones and things like that.

OP
jtjessup

jtjessup

Reaction score
Back on point... To put it simply, Talk needs to be able to ping BBM. Without a doubt, BBM is the best Chat/IM App out there. Why not tap into it and have Talk, talk to BBM..

calicocal

Reaction score
Back on point... To put it simply, Talk needs to be able to ping BBM. Without a doubt, BBM is the best Chat/IM App out there. Why not tap into it and have Talk, talk to BBM..

Chances are that BBIM is a big selling point for blackberries. Chances are RIM doesn't want other phones to be able to access it, taking away that selling point.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As a former Blackberry Messenger person myself, I think maybe your issue is that you need to convince your BBM friends to switch to Google Talk. There isn't a lot of difference IMHO when it comes to the basics of BBM and GT. If you're looking for people to add to your GT ask and I'll be some people will be happy to pm you their Google address. Get a whole new group of friends.

Matter of fact the only thing that I can think of that was different about BBM was the barcode thing. And we have barcode scanner in the market which whips the tail off of BBM's barcode reader.

It shouldn't be a make or break point for you with the Droid. I say that respectfully, it's my opinion. You certainly are entitled to see things differently.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

Reason being BB is dumb and has locked down their service to only blackberry users, BB users can also get google talk and can utilize google talk which is open to not only phones but the internet as well, so there is NO POINT to having BBM when you have a universal app such as GTalk which integrates other IM clients unlike BBM does. BBM is garbage. :icon_evil: