Talk about a place for answering questions!

Active_shIft_useR

Reaction score
Will someone show me how to become more familiar with customizing an sdcard?
* add/removing files
*organizing pdf's
*file management
(p.s.) What are the advantages of rooting a phone?

doomer4life

Reaction score
Um not quite sure what you exactly mean I just plug my phone into my computer set it as a mass storage device which gives me access to the sd card and then organize from there, as for rooting the clearest thing other than it gives you more control over your device is that rooting is like have administrator rights on a PC and nonrooted is like being on a guest account you can interact but can't do more like remove that pesky bloatware that vz or the manufacturer decide to put on

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

mamawm

Reaction score
the easiest way to manage files on the sd card is to download a file manager from the market. astro and es file manager are both very good and free.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Welcome to the forum.

*file management

One advantage of rooting is better file management. Rooting gives you administrative right to your files to edit/delete as you wish. There are files that you cant touch without root rights.

What are you wanting to customize on the sd? Most of the files on there are in place by the apps that use them.

Last edited:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Will someone show me how to become more familiar with customizing an sdcard?
* add/removing files
*organizing pdf's
*file management

As stated above, get a File Manager app that you like. A lot of people use Astro.

*Add/Remove Files - in Astro (an probably other File Manager apps) long press on the file you want to remove and select delete from the popup menu. To add files, you can simply drag and drop from you pc/mad or you can download them from the net.

*Organizing PDF's - not sure I'm going to be much help on this one, but here goes: I use Documents To Go to view my pdf files. I have a folder named My Documents (old Windows habits are hard to break!) and in it is a folder named Acrobat. Then I have sub-folders for things such as Clients, Manuals, Tech Releases, etc. That is what works for my.

In general the advantages are very real for some folks and of no interest at all to the vast majority of people. For me it is the fun of installing custom roms/kernels/themes. But there can be a downside. And that downside if based on your phone and your level of knowledge about hacking your phone. Some phones are very easy to hack and are basically "unbrickable" (brick is used to describe the state of your phone if things go very, very wrong - it is the same as a brick - no power - no life - dead like a brick. The droid 1 is an unbrickable phone the droid x and others are brickable. I know nothing about your phone though. So you are going to have to read a lot about rooting before you attempt it.

Good luck and enjoy your phone and your stay here!!

OP
Active_shIft_useR

Active_shIft_useR

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! To be more specific, I have been trying to learn how to delete some downloaded pdt files from my SD card without using a computer. As I don't have a properly working computer at home, it would be much easier to have that 'administrative' access I have noticed being mentioned with rooting the phone. Not sure what pg06100 reffers to but the phone I use is the HTC Shift from sprint.

Sent from my PG06100 using DroidForums App

doomer4life

Reaction score
Well for that astro file manager will work well lol

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App