Taking Pictures with the MAXX

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
So, if you guys can pull your eyes off of the ICS threads for a second (believe me, it's a hard thing to do LOL)...

I was at a store today. I took a picture of one of the product tags just to see if I could order it online and when I got home and loaded the image onto my computer, it looked VERY blurry. My old 5 MP phone would have done much better.

I will admit, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to taking pictures. I really don't understand much of the terminology at all. I did at the very least, figure out how to change the quality of the picture taken, which is now set at HD+ 1080p.

The picture quality I get with my MAXX on this particular image basically looks like what you see when you get your eyes dilated. It is very blurry.

When I launch the Camera, this message will quickly flash: Cannot capture a picture. Internal phone storage and SD card not accessible. Is this related? I can't make sense of this message anyway, since I'll plug my MAXX into my computer and am able to access the image under the folder G:\dcim\Camera.

Would an app like Camera FX (I think that's the name) make any difference? Is there a setting I'm missing? Those of you that have been priviledged enough to receive the ICS update on your SmartPhones, is there a difference in picture quality or are some settings more automated?

I'm still waiting patiently for ICS, so I don't really want to install anything new on my phone (especially not a paid app) which might end up being incompatible.

Pailhead

Reaction score
My experience with the MAXX is that it takes great HD video, but takes pretty brutal photos. Even still photos cannot be taken quickly. I literally need to give the phone a few seconds to focus. Taking a picture of something in motion...don't bother. If taking good pics with your phone is important to you, the MAXX is not a the phone for you. Luckily for me, I'm not big on taking pictures.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

GSdub510

Reaction score
What Pailhead said is true, video recording is nice but the camera, not so much. I got a couple nice shots of my puppy but she was completely still. The ones with her moving are blurry and out of focus. I have Camera FX and the quality is no better so I prefer stock.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

William_04_x

Reaction score
Hopefully since you can pull the pics from the phone, you don't have a hardware problem. Assuming it is, first make sure the camera lens is clean. They end up with junk on them all the time.

Good lighting is a important as it gets with these cameras. The brighter the better.

Check your camera settings. When you open the camera, select settings(the gears/lower left).

View attachment 51521

The first option on the list is for camera resolution. Set it to 8MP, or 6MP. The next line down is for video resolution (1080p).

The circle with the A is important. Default is the A(automatic). If you tap on it you can change the general settings to suit the conditions the photo its being taken in. For close up shots Macro mode is what you want.

When you are ready to take a picture, there is a target box on the screen. Wait for it to turn green(indicating focused) before you snap the pic. If your subject is off center and not in the box, you can drag the box over the subject for the best chance of getting a good shot.

OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
Hopefully since you can pull the pics from the phone, you don't have a hardware problem. Assuming it is, first make sure the camera lens is clean. They end up with junk on them all the time.

Good lighting is a important as it gets with these cameras. The brighter the better.

Check your camera settings. When you open the camera, select settings(the gears/lower left).

View attachment 51521

The first option on the list is for camera resolution. Set it to 8MP, or 6MP. The next line down is for video resolution (1080p).

The circle with the A is important. Default is the A(automatic). If you tap on it you can change the general settings to suit the conditions the photo its being taken in. For close up shots Macro mode is what you want.

When you are ready to take a picture, there is a target box on the screen. Wait for it to turn green(indicating focused) before you snap the pic. If your subject is off center and not in the box, you can drag the box over the subject for the best chance of getting a good shot.

Woohoo! A Dummies Guide!! Thank you, sir! I'll try this next time. I don't often take pictures. I've taken video once which came out kind of grainy but I didn't have the light on. It was in a karaoke bar, therefore kinda dark and indoors.

One thing I don't understand is, why is it in video mode, you can use stabilization, while in camera mode you can't?

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
It is a bit maddening, it's not like there aren't phones out there that take Great photos, some are OLD phones. So, Why don't the latest greatest?
My old Motorola "Dare" (Dog years ago in phone years) took great pics.

RicKaysen

Reaction score
I'd only count on getting usable photos in daylit outdoors scenes. Gotten some pretty decent ones as a matter of fact. I had some sort of malfunction in video mode while on an airboat in the Everglades. Wanted some footage from the bow as we careened around the sawgrass and when I looked at it, the entire thing was out of focus. I took a test video afterwards and it looked fine though.