Taking Incredible on vacation without it using data?

stanwelks

Reaction score
I'm going to take a trip to Bora Bora next month and would like to bring my Incredible to use at the airport and also to maybe use wifi on it while I am out there to check email.

1. How do I make sure that it is not using any data from VZW while I'm out there?

Thanks.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'm going to take a trip to Bora Bora next month and would like to bring my Incredible to use at the airport and also to maybe use wifi on it while I am out there to check email.

1. How do I make sure that it is not using any data from VZW while I'm out there?

Thanks.

The exact path and/or names in the settings might be different, but for my Droid Pro, it's:

Settings->Data manager->Data Delivery->Data enabled.

Unchecking "Data enabled" completely deactivates the data connection. I've done it to save battery life abroad when I'm using a foreign SIM that doesn't have a data plan.

OP
S

stanwelks

Reaction score
anything else I should do before taking the Incredible out of the country?

Thanks guys.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would also use a password lock, just in case you lose it.

rocket_girl

Reaction score

Thanks.

VZW advised me to do this: you can also call VZW and ask them to temporarily disable your data connection. Explain exactly what you're doing - they have heard it before. Call *at the time* you want to deactivate. You will have to call again to re-activate upon return. Make a note of the time/date and name (or badge ID - whatever they use) of the person you speak with and the specifics of your request. That way, you are completely protected should you incur any data charges despite your efforts to cut yourself off.

I have done this in the past + works well. Usually call from airport upon departure and upon return.

You can also change to international data plan, depending on your current contract and what is available in your destination. Have done this for trips through UK, Netherlands, etc... I have unlimited data, so to switch to international means a pro-rated daily charge for the international service for the duration of my trip. Same as above - call at departure and upon return... you pay international rate only until you change it back to normal plan upon return home.

Have a great trip!

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

jefbystereo

Reaction score
I actually just got back from Bora Bora. They are GSM there so unless you have a sim card, you wont be able to use any data or voice. They do have wifi at most places, although it is all through the same company (they cover most of the islands in tahiti), and really expensive. It also tends to have problems of not logging out on a phone (so you end up using all of your minutes)

Have a great trip.

edit: incredible isnt gsm, so you wont have to worry about any data.